Justin
Justin

June 26th, 2010, 3:52 pm #11

Week 10.

Apologies for the delay in posting this week. Lecturing, busy week at work etc (oh ok and a golf competition;p) kept me from getting to this until now.

Anyway, a great many thanks for everyone's hard work in week 10. The treanch began to show some realy promise with wooden posts emerging and patches of laminated flooring. Again a week of some super finds and the weather even held up for another week. How long can this keep up?

Week_10.jpg
Last edited by Justin on June 26th, 2010, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justin
Justin

June 26th, 2010, 3:59 pm #12

Week 11.

Another stunning week with anaerobic ditches, wooden posts, hearths, sooty floors (oh my head is spinning!) The week has to be most notable for the tablet that popped out on Thursday proving the point that the written material can survive a full 200m to the west of previous find spots. Good news for all concerned with furthering our knowledge of Vindolanda's people.

Unbelieveably the weather held firm for another week, but can it hold on for another 2hours for 'Friends night?'

A huge thank you to the hard working crew of week 11, it turned out to be quite some week, and we made good progress towards understanding that particular part of the site. Cann't wait for next week now.......
Week_11.jpg

SacoHarry

June 26th, 2010, 5:32 pm #13

A tablet in Area B?? Fantastic!!

Lesley Hedges

June 29th, 2010, 10:57 am #14

wow - more than I found ! but I had a great first time at Vindolanda and hope to be back

I'll try to attach some photos - shame Justin wasn't there when my camera arrived.
rest_of_area_B_with_excavators_and_David_and_Andy.jpg
part_of_area_B_19th_June_2010.jpg

Badger
Badger

June 29th, 2010, 1:59 pm #15

Lesley
I always feel we should say "welcome" when we see a first post!
If I am lining things up properly, it looks as if Area B has not exposed large new areas since first week of May. But those darker areas Justin is going down into look anearobically tasty indeed.
Tim Wolter

spiny73
spiny73

July 1st, 2010, 9:58 pm #16

Justin

Please tell me that tablet didn't come from the well...? :-/

Nice find though - just makes me keep wanting to come back for more....

Suzanne

David Ingham

July 1st, 2010, 11:51 pm #17

wrote:Please tell me that tablet didn't come from the well...?
Tempting though it would be .... it's OK, Suzanne, the tablet came from one of the ditches to the west. ;) Nothing came out of the 'well' - it only seems to be a few inches deep, though there's still a bit of work left to do in that area to confirm it. Fingers crossed for more dry weather.

Justin-T

July 2nd, 2010, 7:41 pm #18

Have we heard yet whether there was anything legible on it?

July 3rd, 2010, 9:35 am #19

Badger.....

It depends upon your view of ....'anaerobically tasty' - the smell you probably could eat, its that strong! :D

Having had the dubious pleasure of doing the earth sample bags for Floatation purposes from part of Justin's patch - phew!- I honestly thought I had walked in something, the smell followed me about. Upon asking Justin what it might have been, his answer was very succinct, 'horse ....!' He amended it to 'anaerobic levels' and I corrected him and said he was right first time, horse .... was what it was.

I'm not looking forward to doing the rest of his earth sample bags........... :-/

Malise
PS
Floatation:
Finding those tiny items such as seeds, very small fish bones, pollen and etc which tell the rest of the story of what went on at that time and place. They get analysed by an expert - which isn't me (thank goodness).

Justin
Justin

July 3rd, 2010, 3:59 pm #20

Week 12.

Wow another superb week! We made large strides with the vicus this week and now have what looks to have been a side road branching off at ninety degrees from our major cobbled street. I think this new one is likely to link the main road out of the west gate of the fort with our major street. Best of all though, we appear to have the start of stone buildings on either side of it. They are very close to the surface so are unlikey to have well preserved floors, but we have buildings at last!

Elsewhere, more posts and structural timbers, pockets of organic material containing the usual stuff that comes from such features at Vindolanda and another potential drainage ditch-well it wouldn't be area B without a ditch a week would it?

Many thanks to the volunteers of week 12. A hard shift at the start of the week saw turf flying so that cobbles could be cleaned, but it was so much worth the labour for what we appear to have learned about our 3rd C vicus residents. A big thank you and hope to see you next summer.

PS: a note on our writing tablet. It was only a tiny fragment and I would very much doubt if we'll glean much, if anything from it. The important thing about it is that it was found so far west from previous examples. It's importance, I feel, is that it shows the potential is there for others to have survived in the western part of the site. Far from being isolated in only a few areas it looks like these amazing objects have survived all over the site. Now that opens up possibilities.......
Week_12.jpg
Last edited by Justin on July 3rd, 2010, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.