Area A. The Barracks

MichaelH

8:52 PM - Apr 18, 2009 #1

First week Apr.12th, a very enjoyable week with good weather, cool winds but dry, not like the snow & freezing wind of last year.
Continued going north in the barracks excavations uncovering more walls, floors & the western inter-vallum road (north/south). I, (sorry Sion). We were working at the western side between the fort’s west wall & the inter-vallum road. Some remaining floor slabs with possibly a hearth pit in the floor, stopped short of an east / west wall.
A flat, roughly circular stone lay on this floor level & there was charcoal in the floor pit. In the rubble above the floor, an assortment of nails, an amount of bones, some large, were mixed in with wall stones. There were some very small pieces of glass, as well as more interesting things!
Photo.16th Apr. looking north, fort wall in background left. charcoal area to left of circular stone.
Circ_stone.jpg
Circ_stone.jpg

MichaelH

9:07 PM - Apr 18, 2009 #2

16th Apr. looking north on the road.
The circular stone photo goes off to the left.
Road.jpg

MichaelH

9:11 PM - Apr 18, 2009 #3

Brits. were outnumbered by a group of Belgian students from Antwerp, who are studying Latin. There were two blokes, the others, nice young ladies! (See photo)
They were very friendly and seemed to enjoy the week; so much so that a rhyming poem, to our esteemed leader & written on a card, was read during the last tea break, a very moving moment. Maybe he just wiped some grit from his eye, but he had to turn away. :$ Probably thinking thank goodness its Thursday! :'(

Photo. 12th Apr. group, on 16th Apr.
Mmm…. I thought there were more than this when we started.
The young man at the back, behind hatman, is son of Kate (2008 “calendar girl” Kate!) on the right
Group.jpg
Last edited by MichaelH on 9:19 PM - Apr 18, 2009, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

11:50 AM - Apr 20, 2009 #4

Love that picture of the late wall built into the rampart. Looks like the kinda wall I'd build! Great to see such neat pics so early in the season, thanks tons for the posts.

Kate 13
Kate 13

8:40 PM - Apr 21, 2009 #5

Here's another photo from week 1.

Its the view across the barrack blocks looking west, i.e. towards the vicus.

Kate
PICT0026.jpg

Kate 13
Kate 13

8:42 PM - Apr 21, 2009 #6

And here's one more - looking the same direction but just a little bit further north. In the foreground is a centurion's room. David (my son) and I did a little bit of work on this room and we found the door step stone in situ (we think) complete with socket for the door post and lip to prevent the door from opening the wrong way. I forgot to take a good photo of it. That will have to wait until June.

Kate.

PICT0025.jpg
Last edited by Kate 13 on 8:45 PM - Apr 21, 2009, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

12:28 AM - Apr 25, 2009 #7

Kate, those new pics are awesome. Stones, stones everywhere. I love those massive blocks in the floor in the southern bit -- they look like the post-Roman floor in the granaries from last year. And that's pretty incredible that you found the door threshold still intact.

Keep 'em coming folks!

MBetz
MBetz

12:37 PM - Apr 27, 2009 #8

Michael and Kate- Awesome pictures! I think I was able to find where I was digging last year from Kate's photos:) And as everyone must know by now, stick close to Michael he has the knack for being in the right place for the intriguing finds. Great job diggers!

brypop
brypop

12:45 PM - Apr 27, 2009 #9

Hi Matt I agree with you that the pics are great and can't wait to get to work in a few weeks time. Michael keep up the good work.
Bryan

Kate 13
Kate 13

6:09 PM - Apr 27, 2009 #10

Thanks Matt - it really was a great week 1. I am looking forward to my next stint in June.
And you are right - Michael does have the knack of turning up interesting finds ...

Kate.