Area A

SacoHarry

8:53 PM - Sep 02, 2010 #1

The young ladies of Vindoblig are back digging again, and recording some great finds at http://vindoblig.blogspot.com/ (check out the bone die, melon bead, and huge collection of pottery!). Looks like they're inside the barracks in Area A. Thx for the blogging!

NicC
NicC

4:15 PM - Sep 03, 2010 #2

However, I see they are posting photos of finds that should not be posted!

Badger
Badger

8:33 PM - Sep 03, 2010 #3

In the past specific inquiries have gotten the ok to mention things like "low grade sestertius" which the depicted example was. I suppose the spear point might be a little borderline, but any hypothetical nighthawkers reading this site have also figured out that the area contains several million iron nails, so detecting would really not be at all worthwhile.

Badger

SacoHarry

8:41 PM - Sep 03, 2010 #4

Yah, I took a look through the blog and compared their pics with Andy's guidelines. So far it seems within limits of what's known/expected/OK to talk about. Thx for keeping eyes open though! As always, if a site is putting stuff out that compromises security, then absolutely WeDig will not promote the link.
Last edited by SacoHarry on 11:13 PM - Sep 03, 2010, edited 1 time in total.

NicC
NicC

4:21 AM - Sep 04, 2010 #5

We were told just this last week NOT to post about a unit of currency that was discovered - not the one depicted but another.

SacoHarry

12:11 AM - Sep 05, 2010 #6

It's definitely a balance. A forum Web site that could show nothing would have little use. But one that reads like a treasure map would be irresponsible!

The range in values of Roman coins is staggering. Not to mention how easy it is or isn't to pinpoint just where they've been found. The blog one would be a hard sell; eBay and similar sites always have much less corroded versions of this emperor at fairly reasonable prices. Plus, its find-location is vague from the blog. (I've got a good idea, but I'm a bit of an obsessive.)

Still, I have an e-mail in to Andy verifying the thumbs-up/down on this one. For now, gut says it's still an "up."
Last edited by SacoHarry on 12:11 AM - Sep 05, 2010, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

5:10 PM - Sep 06, 2010 #7

Thumbs-up on this one from Andy, with reminder to any bloggers etc. to seek permission first with anything of possible intrinsic/market value. Thx Andy!

Andy
Andy

10:50 AM - Sep 11, 2010 #8

Thanks Harry,

And yes Nick, I do very much appreciate your concern and vigilance. There are sites not so far away that are really suffering due to our 'friends' with metal detectors which is criminal.

best,

Andy