MichaelH

August 27th, 2010, 9:02 pm #21

Aug 11th. Photo looking north.
In the foreground a layer of clay covered by layers of burnt material, coal and charcoal and thin clay. Above that were floor levels and packing to make them level. In the background is another room with a later period dividing wall on the left.

Some of the bits.
A quantity of iron objects, lots of pieces of pottery, (including amphora and mortaria) and a few pieces of glass were found, and other nice things like the glass bead! No, not the pound coin!!
Picture1__Large_.gif
August_005__Large_.jpg
Last edited by MichaelH on August 30th, 2010, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelH

August 27th, 2010, 9:04 pm #22

Aug 19th. Photo looking east.
On the left the remaining upper layers with possibly a hearth or oven at the far end. On the right the clay level floor, notice the better quality building stone in the walls of the earlier period barracks.
August_035__Large_.jpg

Paul Bulgerin

September 29th, 2010, 11:54 pm #23

My dig buddy, Letty Steer, found the amphora late in the week of July 11-15 in area 98A. Letty left the next day but I had hoped to be able to excavate it but heavy rains the next week forced us to move to another area of the fort. It was still sitting there tempting us when I left Vindolanda on July 22. I hope to find out what, if anything, was in it when I read the field reports.

I dug and dug in the south side of that room and only uncovered dirt. I never even found a floor. I did find a Septimius Severus denarius and some clay game tokens in the fill of the room.

Thanks for the photos.

Paul Bulgerin

Jim & Dilys

October 1st, 2010, 3:47 pm #24

Hi Paul

Dilys had the job of fully exposing the amphora and investigating what was inside.

The handles and any possible stamps were missing, and the only finds inside were a nicely decorated spindle whorl and a glass bead that had a pin through it (possible earring). No pictures were taken.

We did find some other small finds in the same room mainly tile stamps

Paul Bulgerin

November 29th, 2010, 10:43 pm #25

Thanks for letting me know about what was in the amphora. I can now rest easy at night.

Paul Bulgerin