Lesley
Lesley

August 21st, 2010, 6:19 pm #11

:) After 3.5 weeks finally finished digging the Antonine wall - :) No real finds just odd bits of broken amphora and pot.
Antonine_wall_4.jpg

SacoHarry

August 21st, 2010, 11:08 pm #12

Whoa - that wall is a beauty! Is that running north-south directly under the later flagstone road to the HQ building? And its own cobbled road to the east? What fab pieces of archaeology. Had no idea those were even lurking there. Many thanks for the pic.

Badger
Badger

August 22nd, 2010, 12:21 am #13

If you sight down the line of the antonine wall you can see where it causes a humped area in the flagged road. various rises and falls in the road were suspected to be ditches and walls.
Tim Wolter

SacoHarry

August 22nd, 2010, 2:34 pm #14

What strikes me is, I don't see any sign of partition walls anywhere up the line. The Antonine road appears to be on the right (east), meaning the inside of the building would have been on the left, yes? Was this just one long corridor -- or are there internal partitions that don't show in the pic?

sandydeacon

August 23rd, 2010, 12:54 pm #15

According to Andy on his 'end of week walkaround talk' the internal partitions would have been wattle and daub.
Michael and I were very naughty and instead of going up and listening to Justins talk (which we had heard already) we sneaked onto the back of Andys. Very informative I have been dying to do that for years, Its hard to keep up with the whole picture when you are stuck in one building for a whole fortnight..

Sandy

SacoHarry

August 24th, 2010, 2:15 pm #16

Ooh, naughty indeed Sandy! It'll be interesting to see if & as more of the Antonine building comes to light.

Lesley, thanks again for the fabulous shot! Here is a condensed version:

For those trying to put it in context, here is the location of the wall (the thick line) & direction of the camera:

My attempt at an understanding:

Lesley's picture shows multiple periods of the fort, spanning about 150 years of activity. The beautiful wall is from the Antonine period at Vindolanda -- mid-to-late 2nd Century, also known as "Stone Fort I." (The building that this wall was part of stood to the left; a roadway to the right.) The Antonine fort was about the same dimensions as the currently visible fort ("Stone Fort II"), with a few tweaks. It survived for several decades, til it was completely obliterated to the ground about AD 208 in the odd Severan period. Then Stone Fort II was built on top of the old leveled Stone Fort I in about AD 213.

The wall in the picture was located directly underneath the visible fort's via praetoria -- the beautifully flagged main road that ran straight from the HQ in the center of the fort out the north gate. This was expected, because in the 1930's Eric Birley discovered that the Antonine HQ was several feet east of its successor -- so any roads and buildings around it would have been shifted east too. In fact, to the right of the picture you can see the cobblestones of the Antonine roadway emerging.

In the color-coding above, blue is obviously the wall, green is the cobbled Antonine roadway, and red would have been inside the building.

The Antonine HQ faced south, suggesting that the "nicest" road out of the Antonine fort would have faced south too. This seems to be supported by the Antonine road showing up in this picture, which seems to be made of just ordinary cobblestones, nothing fancy.

Andy, how'd I do? :D
Last edited by SacoHarry on August 24th, 2010, 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lesley
Lesley

August 25th, 2010, 3:17 pm #17

Any suggestions for the cause of the gap (approximately 1 metre) which occurs half way along the visible length?

SacoHarry

August 25th, 2010, 9:00 pm #18

Wonder if it was a later drain. After the Antonine fort was levelled, the old fort platform became home to dozens (hundreds?) of "roundhouses" aligned in east-west rows. (This was during the short, and weird, Severan period.) And if I remember right, they had east-west drains associated with them. Maybe that gap was from the Severan handiwork?
Last edited by SacoHarry on August 25th, 2010, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelH

August 27th, 2010, 8:55 pm #19

Photo 19th Aug. Looking south.
The Antonine barrack wall below the later flagged road.
August_039__Medium_.jpg

MichaelH

August 27th, 2010, 9:00 pm #20

Aug. 8th. Photo looking east.
Another one of the barrack rooms being cleared of later period floor levels to leave the structure of the original AD 212 barracks. The intermediate north/south road is just beyond the far wall and it’s the fourth room north of east/west road.
August_002__Large_.jpg