Forum rules
Share with care! Please keep in mind that this forum is a public venue. Admins and Vindolanda staff reserve the right to edit and/or delete postings that might tempt looters, robbers, and other unsavory sorts.

Any News?

MBetz
MBetz

3:37 AM - Jul 09, 2007 #1

Hi fellow diggers. Any news for the last few weeks? I know it has rained. Rained enough to make it into the record books it seems. Any archaeology happen? It has become awfully quite on this forum. Post what you all have been up to. Any new finds of interest. How 'bout any that make everyone say "hmmm...".
Matt
Andy_holding_forth.jpg
Andy_holding_forth.jpg

Sophie
Sophie

1:22 PM - Jul 12, 2007 #2

Area A Digging journal / weather report from 17/06 - 5/07 courtesy of Anthea!

Week 1
Day 1
I'm digging with Sophie on what we thought was the Severan barrack block but we've found a vicus building has cut straight through it. We have had a findfest today - with the usual bag full of pottery and bone! The weather has been kind to us today and has stayed rain free and warm although the midges have been biting today!

DAy 2
The weather is being kind to us so far - no rain again today but the midges have been biting! Have found the other side of the barrack block wall and the vicus floor looks very odd in fact we thought it was a drain this morning. We had a few finds again today including a spinning whirl, a samien stamp and loads of pottery. We've been lifting some hefty stones again today.

Day 3
Sophie and I were helping with baling out for Sandy and Trudi this morning to try and get them into the good stuff but the trench just keeps on filling up with water - you who have dug before know what its like!! Sophie and I have almost cleared all the big stones although we have saved some for David next week - hee hee. We found several items which suggest the area might have been a workshop and lots of pottery and bone as usual. We're going into the goo tomorrow so we're really looking forward to that.

Day 4
Rained overnight and filled the trenches so baling out first thing but the sun shones all day today so everything started to dry out now thank goodness! Another good day today - still stone shifting though but nearly all cleared so ready to go down tomorrow after shifting a few more rocks. We found the usual pottery and bone and a few finds albiet not in very good condition!

Day 5
Last day was fairly good - another few small finds! Lots of pottery as usual We're all set to go down into the next context next week - we think it could be a ditch so should be good fun!

SV400107.jpg

Sophie
Sophie

1:30 PM - Jul 12, 2007 #3

Day 1 - before we started...
SV400088.jpg

Sophie
Sophie

1:32 PM - Jul 12, 2007 #4

Day 2...
WEek_1_day_1.jpg

Sophie
Sophie

1:35 PM - Jul 12, 2007 #5

It gets bigger...
Week_1_Day2.jpg

Sophie
Sophie

2:08 PM - Jul 12, 2007 #6

And bigger!
Day 4
Week_1_Day_2.jpg

Sophie
Sophie

2:13 PM - Jul 12, 2007 #7

24/6 - 28/6:
Days 1-4
This week has been an odd week - good day on Sunday - a few small finds, washed pots and went bowling on Monday as it rained, tuesday was fine - found lots of pot and bone. Today has been a bit damp and we were rained off at lunch time. Our trench is very wet and quite difficult to stand up in - we're just on top of a ditch which should have some great stuff in but if it doesn't stop raining we wont' be able to stay in there as its very slippy and we have to keep baling out the water!! We could do with snorkels! We're hoping for better weather tomorrow...

Day 5
Last day of the dig and weather has been pretty grim. We did manage to get a dig in today but finished early. Had to abandon the trench that we were in so I was digging with Chris on the vicus and David and Sophie on the first stone fort north wall! We're hoping for better weather next week!
Week_1_Day_4.jpg

Sophie
Sophie

2:14 PM - Jul 12, 2007 #8

End of the week
Week_2_Day_3.jpg

Sophie
Sophie

2:16 PM - Jul 12, 2007 #9

Week 3
Day 1
Had to pump out the trenches this morning so had a talk from Andy about the site from when it was first occupied by the 1st Cohort of Tungrians while Beth and Alex got the pumps going! The weather improved and we actually had some sunshine and managed to excavate from 12.30 although not where we all were last week as the trenches need to dry out if it ever stops raining!! We stopped at 3.30 when we heard the thunder and decided that it was probably best to put our spades, shovels and wheelbarrows away before the lightening got too close!!
Was excavating in an area with a large oven which hopefully we'll take out tomorrow so should get back in the good stuff!!

Day 2-5
This is the final update and despite what the weathermen said about the rain we managed to dig all day every day with some well timed tea and lunch breaks. The areas that had been excavated in the previous weeks were underwater and having to be pumped out on a regular basis to stop us from drowing!! Chris, Felicity, Charlotte and myself were digging in the oven area where Rosie had been the previous week. The oven went and we started to get down to laminate - the nice smelly stuff. We found some nice small finds.
Week_2_Day_5.jpg

MBetz
MBetz

3:23 PM - Jul 17, 2007 #10

Thanks for the great updates. I have been following the weather through the local paper online and am happy to see that some digging could be done. To have the hottest April and the wettest June in one year for the last hundred years is just amazing. Any further excavation happen on the first stone fort wall? When last I saw it the wall was just beginning to make its turn. How has Area B held up with all the rain. There were a number of distches and gullies awaiting excavation in mid-June. Have those been excavated or were they given up on? Any more tablets found? I have heard of just a fragment of one but there must have been more found by now.
Good luck everyone
Matt