After Clean tools...Socks, Hats and Kneeling Mats

April 14th, 2012, 9:08 am #1

I've been following the interesting conversation about who has cleaned their trowels and where to get new ones etc and who has had what, where and when, and a thought occurred - what about SOCKS. :D

Surely this subject deserves scrutiny. I mean, do you wear short socks, longer ones, even longer ones that you can see over the top of the boot or wellie? What material do people recommend? Cotton, or wool or synthetic. Some people (not me) put talc in the boot before they put their foot inside.

Do you recommend bright pyschedelic socks or calmer colours.

Would Andy like loud flashing colours to be seen in his trench? We need to be comfy... and that leads me to.....

Kneeling mats! Rubber from supermarket? Home-made? Knee pads? What?

And then we could look at Hats - should we wear leather ones? Mike has an Australian leather wide brim hat - I know its Ozzie because that's what it said on the label when I bought it on a market in the Midlands - its shrunk a bit but he says its comfortable. What are people's preferences and why?

And then Boots - walking boots, trainers or wellies? What is best for the trendy in-trench digger. A friend used to have green wellies with little red bows on the back - this was when she was a beginner archaeologist. We soon got her to change to join the rest of us. :P

The list is endless.. seemingly.

Malise

GillianD

April 14th, 2012, 11:20 pm #2

I like to pamper my feet with woolly socks in calm colours : ) As a teenager (long, long ago...) I had bright, stripey socks with individual toes like gloves before going through a phase of never wearing socks, and not wearing shoes at all if possible. If they weren't so pricey, I'd love a pair of Vibram Fivefingers to wiggle my toes in.

I've got an old (cheap) pair of steel toe cap boots for digging which have saved my tootsies on numerous occasions. My wellies are short and bright pink (children's sale purchase!). My feet feel a bit exposed in them so I'm pondering getting steel toe cap wellies since we were warned that it might be really squidgy this year.

April 15th, 2012, 9:52 am #3

Hadn't thought of steel toe caps - what a good idea, especially when you've just dropped that full bucket on your foot! (ouch!) :-/

GillianD

April 15th, 2012, 1:38 pm #4

Being preternaturally clumsy, without steel toe caps I'm sure I'd be down a few toes by now. I'm like a road map of old scars from nose to ankle: my brother (accidentally, I hasten to add) hit me on the nose with a shovel clearing snow one winter, the one on my ankle is from an argument with a grid peg (it won, obviously!), and in between is a history of tummling my wulkies out of trees, off bikes and over barbed wire fences.... Who'd be my digging buddy, hee, hee!?!

Sue Munro

April 15th, 2012, 4:23 pm #5

Having run over my foot with a full barrow on Friday I wished I'd had steel toes. Never mind, one more injury for the cause...

There were some interesting socks favoured mainly by the younger diggers last week, with the asymmetric look being popular. Mine were rather boring but soft cotton socks.

GillianD

April 18th, 2012, 7:37 pm #6

'The asymmetric look'? Perhaps a euphemism for odd socks.... : )

Sue Munro

April 19th, 2012, 6:27 pm #7

Thought I'd give the benefit of the doubt by fluffing it up a bit. Maybe it was a fashion statement rather than a mistake!

GillianD

April 19th, 2012, 7:56 pm #8

Amazingly, you can actually buy boxes of Gruffalo-themed odd socks. I'd love them as a fashion statement but they only do them for toddlers, drat! (and double drat!!)

April 19th, 2012, 8:12 pm #9

What on earth are Gruffalo-themed socks? They sound very uncomfortable :D

I used to wear handspun doggy socks but they proved to be a bit itchy and ponged awful when they got wet - much like the animal! And the white colour was a real no-no.

GillianD

April 19th, 2012, 10:09 pm #10

http://www.gruffaloshop.com/*/Clothing/ ... 3Foff%3D16

The Gruffalo is a fantastic children's book by Julia Donaldson about a mouse and a hungry monster. If they made handspun socks out of Gruffalo hair they would be exceedingly scratchy and malodourous. The doggy socks sound fun though :D

I bet the soldiers at Vindolanda were not averse to wearing odd socks. Maybe we'll find a tablet reading 'I have sent you 4 of those new fangled asymmetric socks you asked for, 2 pairs of underpants and 2 pairs of sandals'.