Advice for getting from Newcastle to the site?

meghanb
meghanb

March 2nd, 2013, 4:15 am #1

Hey everyone (hopefully I've put this in the right place)! I'm coming to Vindolanda for the first time in April, and am super excited! However, I'm from Canada, and this is my first trip overseas by myself. I'm flying into Newcastle, and wanted to know anyone's recommendations, advice, etc on how to get from Newcastle to the site (I'm staying in the Hedley Centre). My mum and I have done some research into it, but we'd like to hear advice from the people who know the place the best :) Any tips are really appreciated!

Justin-T

March 2nd, 2013, 5:05 am #2

Hi Meghan, congrats on your first visit. I've dug at Vindolanda before using public transport to get there, and its not too hard.

I think your best bet is train from Newcastle (I think there's a train from the airport to the station in Newcastle, if not, get a cab) to Hexham, then catch the excellent AD122 bus from Hexham to the site. The bus stop is right outside the station, 50 meters from the platform. The bus will drop you in the main visitors car park, leaving you a shortish walk (5 mins?) around (or through) the site to the Hedley.

Check bus times leaving Hexham (google "ad122 bus schedule", but it looks like the 2013 one isnt out yet?) and buy an appropriately timed train ticket online in advance, will be much cheaper than getting it on the day. For the bus you just pay the driver on entry.

You'll have a great time!

If you need more details, just ask.

Badger
Badger

March 2nd, 2013, 5:14 am #3

Welcome!
The AD 122 bus schedule may change from year to year, but in general there is only one bus leaving from Newcastle in the AM. It departs right in front of the Main Train station. In the past it has left around 9am. After that the bus just shuttles between the central parts of the wall all day.

So....if you can be in Newcastle by 9am you can be delivered to the west entrance of the site about an hour later as previous poster mentioned. Be sure to beg Colin for the chance to snooze earlier than the regular check in time.

But if that fails, say your flight is not first thing in the am, you can always do one of these things.

Train to Hexham and take AD122 bus.

or

Train to Bardon Mills and walk about 2 miles.

I have done it different ways.

Depends a little on how light you travel and what the weather is. And on whether you need a few supplies in Hexham. Hedley center does provide most all you would be wanting.

Any questions on gear? Put it to the Elders of the Tribe!

Badger

Badger
Badger

March 2nd, 2013, 1:16 pm #4

Oh, I failed to mention that there is indeed a train/subway from the airport to Newcastle central train station. It is cheap and a better option than taxi. But if I recall, the automatic ticket vending machine does not take plastic or bills! I end up having to buy some kind of trinkets or candy bars from the airport shoppes! A good idea to have a few one and two pound coins in pocket if you have some from previous trips.

Badger

Terry S
Terry S

March 2nd, 2013, 11:04 pm #5

Further information on getting from Newcastle Airport to Vindolanda - as TW mentioned, there is a frequent Metro service from the airport direct to Newcastle Central station. However, there is only one AD 122 bus a day from outside the station, leaving at 0930 and arriving at Vindolanda at 1109.
If that isn't possible, get the Metro to Newcastle Central and walking a short distance to the Main Line platforms, you can get a reasonably frequent train service to Bardon Mill station. This is the train that terminates at Carlisle, a few stops further on. It's a wee bit of a walk to Vindolanda from there, so a taxi from the station is your best bet. It's only a couple of miles or so, but it's mainly uphill. It's lovely countryside all around, so you should enjoy the last part of your epic journey!

snowglobe

March 3rd, 2013, 7:38 am #6

http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/idoc.a ... version=-1

This is the new 2013 timetable, as my fellow digger Terry says its just the one bus from Newcastle. All suggestions work and Badger has made his way to the site this way since the Romans left! Travel light, there's a great laundry & drier at the Hedley so no need to pack much plus you get the diggers Tshirt as a prized item to wear. My personal get there option is Haltwhistle rail station (if you can't get the AD122 from Newcastle) and the bus leaves for the site just outside the door, there's a Sainsburys store if you need any items if there's a wait for the AD122 back up the road plus the chance to visit the "centre of Britain stone" !
The bus will drop you at the West Gate of Vindolanda, you have two options: walk down the lane along side the site ,the road drops into the valley then on your right you'll see the Vindolanda sign. My option is walk through the site and museum to reach the Hedley, you get in free as by now you should have a" Friends of Vindolanda" membership .
Last edited by snowglobe on March 3rd, 2013, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin-T

March 3rd, 2013, 4:24 pm #7

It's clear from this thread that "omnes viae Vindolandam ducunt"!

Terry S
Terry S

March 3rd, 2013, 10:01 pm #8

Another alternative Meghan (and less complicated if you can't get on the 122 at Newcastle) - from the Central station at Newcastle, get on the Carlisle train as previously directed and instead of getting off at Bardon Mill, get off at Hexham and there are 5 AD 122s between 1218 and 1728, which take you direct to Vindolanda. These run (well, drive) from the station itself.Take a copy of Pete's 122 timetable from Hexham. If you miss one of the buses and have a little wait before the next one, Hexham is a canny little place, with a big Tesco supermarket, to wander around.
Welcome to Northumberland!

Justin-T

March 4th, 2013, 12:21 am #9

And all the roads are circular! Terry, that's the same suggestion I had in my first post. :D

Terry S
Terry S

March 4th, 2013, 10:45 pm #10

Well spotted Justin. My brain must be circular.