A regular view

snowglobe

March 29th, 2013, 11:11 am #1

We thought it would be great to get a regular overview of the season from the same location, the tower of the replica wall seems a worthy location as it takes in areas of the SMC. Any Wediggers with a small amount of energy left after a days digging could take a shot , this would build into an interesting project as the work continues.

One taken on the 5th May
Last edited by snowglobe on May 6th, 2013, 6:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Justin-T

March 29th, 2013, 12:19 pm #2

Great idea! The height means the pictures should reveal at least some of the main features as they appear.

Fiona D
Fiona D

March 29th, 2013, 4:54 pm #3

I'll see if I can summon up the energy to do that a couple of times at least during period 2. It certainly is a good overview spot and it will be interesting to see development.
Cheers
Fiona

snowglobe

March 30th, 2013, 8:49 am #4

This topic may work if the photos run as above so if you e mail me I'm able to add images within the post, snowglobepete@btinternet.com . You will of course be credited with taking any photos so we can all admire your end of day stamina of climbing up the tower.
Last edited by snowglobe on March 30th, 2013, 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Justin-T

March 30th, 2013, 2:12 pm #5

If I have my orientation correct, the SE quadrant is within the red-marked area on Pete's image. Can I make a suggestion to ask people to zoom in a little so their photo covers the dashed area? It will mean we have more chance of picking out details. I fear that otherwise we will need to be posting multi-megabyte photos and zooming in ourselves, or we won't be able to see anything from that distance - notice the size of people walking around to see how small things will be if we don't zoom in (or crop later, but this may exceed the pixel density of some people's cameras).

I've done a similar "time-lapse" project myself (construction of a building) and I found it helped tremendously to have specific landmarks to mark the sides of the view, so the images over time cover the same area. We could do it here using the two trees as the left edge and the wall that runs through the field on Barcombe Hill on the right, putting the SE quadrant in the middle of shot.

I'm also wondering if there's going to be any digging in the vicus this year (?), that the same vantage point could be used to take similar progress photos of there too.
Last edited by Justin-T on March 30th, 2013, 2:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

snowglobe

March 30th, 2013, 6:09 pm #6

The SMC plans on the Vindolanda blog page show the sites within the Vicus to be dug. The photos are a guide only zoomed or non zoom are both fine, those using mobile phone cameras may not have the option. All images welcome.

snowglobe

March 30th, 2013, 7:50 pm #7

Those climbing Barcombe hill there is the alternative weekly shot!

Last edited by snowglobe on March 31st, 2013, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

March 30th, 2013, 8:26 pm #8

Ooh! Barcombe would be ideal! It would also catch (from a distance) the vicus work. But admittedly, slightly less convenient.

snowglobe

April 11th, 2013, 10:16 pm #9

First photo added , see above

Fiona D
Fiona D

April 12th, 2013, 3:47 pm #10

Thanks for great photos as ever Pete. Just gearing up to get up to Northumberland tomorrow! If the weather is suitable for the overview.....crossed fingers ... I'll send jpegs for you to add to the sequence. Would you sort size out or shall I reduce before I send them?
Fiona