Badger
Badger

November 3rd, 2012, 1:39 pm #41

Justin T

Glad you and your son will be digging. It is important to recall that while Parent as a noun is timeless, Parenting as a verb is very fleeting. If he is 16 you have already done most of the heavy lifting. Trips with your young adult children are more of a victory lap.

Badger

Justin-T

November 3rd, 2012, 9:48 pm #42

Thanks Tim.

For those still chafing over missing out, as of 10:45PM UK time there are excavator openings for FIVE different periods available on the Trust website, including two different periods for "excavation only" (ie: not including stay at the Hedley). Get 'em while they're hot...

Andy
Andy

November 5th, 2012, 11:52 am #43

Hi everyone,

For those who were trying to email me last week, I was on holiday with my kids, so I am now wading through the heartache, trauma and jubilation, and will respond to all as soon as I can in the next few days.

But I would like at this stage to say....

Welcome back to those of you who made it in this time, and for those who didn't don't despair, places do come up through the year (the reserve list does actually move), and for the first couple of days some places come back on to the system for various reasons. For instance, we processed an application for a gent, only then for his angry wife to call and cancel it, seems he was over-ruled after the event at home ........ there are other tales and no, no names will be named and shamed. but... as a consequence... his particular slot came back on the system. Also, some folks plopped a place into the shopping basket and then didn't go to the counter to check out. Those places will automatically come back on to the system after 24hours. I am not happy about it, places were supposed to come back on to the system after 1hour, not 24, so this will no doubt form a significant part of the usual post excavation application day post mortem back at base Vindolanda. All I can do is apologizes for that. Once you have selected a place from the shelf it is yours for 24hours to complete the form, so if you have the form open, don't rush it, fill it in properly in a calm and orderly fashion :-)

cheers,

Andy

Col Sanders

November 5th, 2012, 8:20 pm #44

Andy, firstly how dare you go on holiday especially with your children!!! Secondly, you simply can't drop a juicy snippet of gossip like that without at least giving us all a HINT of who it was. How are we going to fill the long winter nights if we don't have something like that to get our teeth into?
Could be grounds for divorce methinks. See you in May, regards Col.

Justin-T

November 6th, 2012, 5:45 pm #45

Thanks Andy. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall to hear the discussion between the would-be digger and his spouse. I suggest a heavy dose of Time Team for the missus, and perhaps next year he'll have better luck. :P

Also, good to know for next year that once you have the item in the basket you are no longer having to race for the places. Takes some of the pressure off.

A quick additional thought on the Nov 1 roll-out.
The noon release time works well for me, because it falls at 8AM US East Coast time, but I can see that for some people (especially UK/Europe) it might be very difficult due to overlap with the work-day. To try and "even the playing field" a little more, perhaps there could be two stages of roll-out, with 12 noon for the first half of the places and then another one 9 hrs later for the remainder?

Cestrian

November 6th, 2012, 7:24 pm #46

Did anyone manage to get a second 2 week booking? With the demand for places should we perhaps be restricted to just 2 weeks to give everyone a chance? Andy can no doubt provide the stats.

Col Sanders

November 6th, 2012, 7:42 pm #47

Andy/Cestrian, this could get really difficult as there are people logging on from the Southern hemisphere also E.G. New Zealand. We had to juggle things as the UK had just altered the clocks back to GMT and then stay up until 1am on the 2nd (11 hours in front here) to make the deadline. Europe will mostly be on their lunch break at 1pm so should not have a problem with the time of opening Especially our French/Italian friends whose lunch allegedly is 2-3 hours long!!! Seriously it will become a nightmare to organise things any other way and as Justin-T has said the Trust does not have the facilities of a huge IT department. It's not broke, don't fix it. Regards to all, Col

Col Sanders

November 6th, 2012, 7:44 pm #48

Cestrian, you must be wondering why I was addressing you in my last post. It's because i am an idiot and got you mixed up with Justin-T. Sorry. Col

Justin-T

November 6th, 2012, 8:28 pm #49

But I think my suggestion would work perfectly for you, Colonel (and others in the cricket-playing former southern colonies!). You could go to bed at the normal hour Nov 1, safe in the knowledge that you could check at 10am NZ time Nov 2nd, when there would be another set of places coming online you could apply for...

As Sue has mentioned earlier in this thread, being in the UK/Europe at noon/1pm doesn't necessarily mean you will have free access to the web at that time, due to particular demands of your job during the work day.

As far as it being a nightmare to do a two-phase system, it really depends how the software is set up. The Trust has been putting slots back into the "available" queue quite frequently over the last few days, so I'm guessing it might not be too hard, possibly as simple as changing the value of one number at the second wave - the number of available spaces remaining in each period.

Andy, what do you think?
Last edited by Justin-T on November 6th, 2012, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NicC
NicC

November 7th, 2012, 12:32 am #50

Another option would be to make it some time on the first Saturday/Sunday of November although those that work those dayas have the same problem. Actually, there seems to be no problem as the places vanish "just like that".