Justin-T

3:27 PM - Nov 02, 2012 #31

So does anyone have any information about the error message you get when clicking the link in the "receipt" email? I'm still getting that today, and I've had no other communication from the Trust. Can I assume that my application (and my 16 yr old son's) is accepted and I'm good to go, or is there still some processing of applications going on?

BTW Cestrian, if all is well I'll be on site with you in period 7...

Sandy
Sandy

3:36 PM - Nov 02, 2012 #32

Just had a quick look on the website and some more places with accommodation have been added if anyone is interested.

Badger
Badger

4:36 PM - Nov 02, 2012 #33

Justin T

Drop an email to Fiona and she will clarify your status. If you got the invoice I assume you are ok. You and your son will have a time to remember..

Near as I can figure the glitches were and are somewhat US specific. Some issue with addresses that do not end in "shire" me suspects.

And having just checked I do note some Hedley Center/digging slots in the April/May range. I did this for a week last year, mostly as a way for my brother and his wife to get a chance to dig. (between the three of us we had two excavate only slots). Hedley has some pluses and minuses. But for cost and convenience it is very good. And if you are pining for the cozy atmosphere of the Twicey tap room, I can speak to Period 3 having a Vindolanda table there on a regular basis....just walk up the road.

Badger
Last edited by Badger on 4:42 PM - Nov 02, 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Sue Munro

5:18 PM - Nov 02, 2012 #34

Alex wrote:Sue, I know how you feel... I'm bloody P***ed O** big time, all the years I've been digging and did I get a place? Did I hell!!
Alex

I would hate to be the person who processes all the applications - it must be a nightmare dealing with it especially those of us who were unlucky. I just try to remind myself that it's a privilege to be able to dig at Vindolanda.

I'm exploring other options elsewhere in the UK (see my Facebook timeline) for next year. Looks like I won't be in with any sort of chance anytime 1st November falls on a weekday at least while I'm in my current job!

If you're interested in things closer to home Alex, there's a group started up in Sefton which I've been on a couple of digs with. Get in touch if you want more info.

Sue

Badger
Badger

5:53 PM - Nov 02, 2012 #35

Did anyone try the new feature that allows you to sign up two people? This could work for the employment disadvantaged....

We would not presume any untoward relationships from such actions!

Badger

Col Sanders

7:53 PM - Nov 02, 2012 #36

Badger, you say the nicest things!!! People will talk if you carry on like this. The beard will be in evidence during period 5 so keep a look out.

NicC
NicC

8:51 PM - Nov 02, 2012 #37

OK - I went for it - Hedley Center so anyone staying that period (2) should bring their ear plugs!
Noticed this:
wrote:If you have applied to join the 2012 excavation programme, your application is being processed and you will receive a confirmation within five days.
Note the 2012.
Other problem I had was it said I should supply first name and family name - scroll to top and, yup, they are there. The only other places for such info is if you are booking for 2 people and if you wish to subscribe. Well I have already subscribed but I filled those in anyway and it worked. Not very clear - and, frankly, a waste of time. Thank the brewery for auto-fill.

Justin-T

10:31 PM - Nov 02, 2012 #38

Just wanted to echo Sue's comment, we should all bear in mind that the Trust is not a major corporation with a large IT budget. There are bound to be some less polished aspects to the booking system, especially when they have changed to the two-week system this year, with two people registering at once. Digging at Vindolanda is well publicized and has become extremely popular, so there are a lot more people who want to dig than there are places. Sometimes we'll miss out despite getting onto the system on day one. They are doing their best to be fair to everyone.

bishpt
bishpt

10:58 PM - Nov 02, 2012 #39

The only glitch I experienced was the email link, did not have confirmation until I rang Fiona this morning.But now I have my confirmation for Period 4 and am a happy lad. Hovering over a laptop has paid off.

Justin-T

1:19 PM - Nov 03, 2012 #40

Same here, email to Fiona was the solution for me too.

NB: There's at least one excavation slot available for period 1 at the Hedley right now for those still interested...