2007 season prep

SacoHarry

8:05 PM - Mar 18, 2007 #1

With the opening of the season imminent, I wanted to post an idea. I think the little end-of-week wrap-ups that Andy & Justin started last year were a real hit. They gave a great overview & recap of what had been found, and what it all meant. So I thought, what if people were able to see those recaps even if they weren't at the dig? I know I personally would love being able to watch the digs unfold week-by-week. It'd be great to get my head in the game before coming, and it'd be fun to see what was found after I'd had to leave.

Is there enthusiasm here in the forum for some kind of weekly video like this? If so, is there any way that staff or a volunteer would be able to film those? Nothing high-tech, just a regular handheld digital camera would be fine. I could either post them here, or provide a link to a site like YouTube where they could be viewed.

Seems like a fun way to keep the extended group more involved. And who knows, might just help us be better diggers to boot. Not to mention making all the other digs jealous. "Ooh, look what they're doing up there at Vindolanda, cheeky little [insert appropriate epithet]s."

- H
Last edited by SacoHarry on 8:06 PM - Mar 18, 2007, edited 1 time in total.

Andy
Andy

8:32 AM - Mar 19, 2007 #2

Hi Harry,

Good idea, let me think about it. The weekly end game round ups are going to be a little more difficult this year for cross team fertilization. One of the reasons for this is the fact that we are only working three days together on the site, but I will try and keep this going as well as I can. It is important that everyone on the site gets an appreciation of all the work that is being done.

On the Video front, we have to be a little bit careful. I say this because of the metal detector threat to the site. If we have a video of coins being found, or .. Justin or myself go 'live' and say 'this is a temple', we could have a huge problem on our hands. So we need to be a little careful about this one. I had similar problems with the idea of a webcam/videocam on the site all year round. It is a balancing act really. We are dedicated to keeping people involved, and want to allow people as much access as possible, while at the back of our minds, always knowing that we must be wary of people who are more dangerous to the site than spammers. So my official line is not a NO!, but a cautious yes, and I will insist on some editorial control.

best,

Andy

1:41 PM - Mar 19, 2007 #3

I like this idea....no matter what format it takes.....

most of the volunteers will only usually see the short part of the excavation that they participated in .....leaving questions un-answered.

I for one would really appreciate seeing the excavations unfold throughout the year and a weekly bulletin would be an excellent move....even a picture album of "this weeks progress."

Nice one Harry

Chris

SacoHarry

2:02 PM - Mar 19, 2007 #4

Cheers Chris! I had a hunch I wasn't alone. Andy, it's funny, as I was posting I was thinking about exactly your concerns. Don't want to turn the videos into an "X marks the spot" treasure map. If it works out that we can do this, then anything that gets posted should absolutely get vetted first. I hope it does work out. Easy for me sitting over here to advocate adding to an already crowded "to-do" list for you guys. B) But I do think it would have real benefits.

- H
Last edited by SacoHarry on 2:36 PM - Mar 19, 2007, edited 1 time in total.

2:53 PM - Mar 19, 2007 #5

I know what you mean about nighthawks, I have had trouble in the past from unwanted detectorists ( a small minority I may add) on one occasion we had the tool shed broken into and the spades nicked - I mean some people.

and of course holes all over the site.

But as for a video/photo diary, excellent idea - It may even be beneficial on encouraging visitors to the site....seeing what is going on may encourage a visit...

It would certainly be educational

Chris