Forum rules
Share with care! Please keep in mind that this forum is a public venue. Admins and Vindolanda staff reserve the right to edit and/or delete postings that might tempt looters, robbers, and other unsavory sorts.
Nicola
Nicola

4:35 PM - Apr 10, 2007 #11

Heather wrote:
We were lucky in the material finds, as I found numerous bits of pottery, with rims and bases, but no inscriptions! Hmph! I did find a coin though, which I was chuffed about (will put up a pic later on) and rusty nails, a brass (?)draw handle etc, so put those with Fiona's coins and Madelaine's animal teeth and we did very well!

Rub it in why dontcha :P Heehee.

Yeah, you're right, we did not too bad on the finds front (well, apart from Sam and I! :P) considering all the gravel we all had to shift first of all!

I'm looking forward to seeing your coin pic!!

Sarah
Sarah

7:31 PM - Apr 10, 2007 #12

Helloooo first week people! *waves*

I had an amazing time digging, even though I was only there as Heather's guardian. ;) I didn't find anywhere near as much stuff as her, but I did find a nice bit of decorated pot which I was quite proud of.

We'll get our photos up soon. Thanks for all of the ones you've alreay put up, even though most of them seem to contain Heather and not one contains me! :P

Where are Sam and Alan and Madeline? It would be nice to have the whole team here!

Anyway, nice to "speak" to you,

Sarah x

Andy
Andy

6:45 AM - Apr 11, 2007 #13

To the team of week one.

Thanks folks, great effort, never easy being in week one but things are going along nicely. Hope to see some or all of you at Friends evening in the summer. Best,

Andy

6:13 PM - Apr 14, 2007 #14

Thanks to all the above, whetting the appetite...

oh well just one more week and I will join you...can't wait to get good and dirty again

Chris

Madeline
Madeline

6:14 PM - Apr 14, 2007 #15

Hi, folks.

"Here we are, one weekend to go before the 1st of April and it is minus 4 degrees on site, and bright and sunny with a steady northern breeze "

This is what we were warned about but dfidn't happen too much! Though the first few days were a bit chilly and we did get some good frosts!!! Chilly on the bike!

Went back on Thusday 12th April to see what had happened since the 'Firsters' were there ..... Looked like much harder work shifting wet clay from the ditch under our gravel and rubble.

Justin's lot seemed to have found some good bits of pottery with animals on etc.

Still fantastic weather!

Good luck folks

Madeline

Sue Munro

6:34 PM - Apr 14, 2007 #16

Hello to all 2nd weekers!
We've just got home after a great week - didn't know what to expect so early in the season, in terms of weather as well as digging!
We had good weather on the whole, but just like you 1st weekers it was pretty miserable on Tuesday - very strange! However, 3 coins were found on Andy's site to make up for it.
We found quite a mixture of pot, some bone and nails and a very hollow-sounding area under the flooring we were uncovering - please let me know what it is if you are in my area, I'm desperate to know!
I'll try to attach a couple of photos, but can't always get it to work on this site so if it doesn't happen I'll e-mail them to Andy and he can do it! (Sorry, Andy!).
Good luck for everyone digging throughout the rest of the season - hope you have as much fun as we did.
Sue B)

Sue Munro

6:36 PM - Apr 14, 2007 #17

Another phot from week 2 - Andy's team minus Paula who had to leave early to catch a flight.
Sue
DSCN1241.jpg

MBetz
MBetz

5:08 PM - Apr 15, 2007 #18

Check out Matt's blog of his time digging at Vindolanda at:

http://diggerjournal.blogspot.com/

for some photos from the first week!

Katie Betz
DSCN1247.jpg

Heather
Heather

1:33 PM - May 19, 2007 #19

Hello Madeline!

Good to see you survived the April experience!

Heather