UK Type 26 Frigate

All About The British Royal Navy: Past, Present And Future
Joined: August 20th, 2006, 6:32 pm

July 10th, 2018, 11:10 pm #1071

S1850 is a volume search radar, CEAFAR is a multi functional radar, which combines search with the ability to provide updates for missile guidance on the target, using electronic scanning, from multiple fixed tiles. CEAFAR could update Aster missiles, that is why the UK are examining the system.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: December 7th, 2016, 12:00 pm

July 11th, 2018, 3:25 am #1072

Anthony58 wrote: S1850 is a volume search radar, CEAFAR is a multi functional radar, which combines search with the ability to provide updates for missile guidance on the target, using electronic scanning, from multiple fixed tiles. CEAFAR could update Aster missiles, that is why the UK are examining the system.
Thanks. So the Type 45s aren't as powerful with the S1850 as many say they are? How does CEFAR compare to Type 997 radar?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 22nd, 2008, 8:08 pm

July 11th, 2018, 9:42 am #1073

ACSilver wrote:
Anthony58 wrote: S1850 is a volume search radar, CEAFAR is a multi functional radar, which combines search with the ability to provide updates for missile guidance on the target, using electronic scanning, from multiple fixed tiles. CEAFAR could update Aster missiles, that is why the UK are examining the system.
Thanks. So the Type 45s aren't as powerful with the S1850 as many say they are? How does CEFAR compare to Type 997 radar?
Not sure what you're trying to say here.  The T45's principal radar is Sampson, which is right up there in terms of capability.  Sampson is complemented on T45 with S1850 in addition.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 7th, 2005, 11:25 am

July 11th, 2018, 10:07 am #1074

Not sure if this has been covered before, and unwilling to scoot through 108 pages to find out.

Type 26 is endowed with, what looks to me two huge ESM masts aft, with the old traditional, radar bandwidth defined, detection arrays. The Hunter class artists impression is simmiler. Yet every carefully annotated figure ignores these erections, instead pointing to the tiny Phalnax system between them. This would seem (to me) to be a replacement of traditional ESM capabilities lost with the T22B3, or in the RAN case, Melbourne.

Any opinions/discussion etc of these masts and these capabilities?

72467BE2-CA82-4322-A0D3-D7003831D2E1.jpeg
"The stone age did not end because people ran out of stones." Ahmed Yamani
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 7th, 2005, 11:25 am

July 11th, 2018, 10:33 am #1075

Vs
C7E2D04A-A359-483A-8708-ADBA065EE945.png
"The stone age did not end because people ran out of stones." Ahmed Yamani
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: December 7th, 2016, 12:00 pm

July 12th, 2018, 3:49 am #1076

Nauticus27 wrote:
ACSilver wrote:
Anthony58 wrote: S1850 is a volume search radar, CEAFAR is a multi functional radar, which combines search with the ability to provide updates for missile guidance on the target, using electronic scanning, from multiple fixed tiles. CEAFAR could update Aster missiles, that is why the UK are examining the system.
Thanks. So the Type 45s aren't as powerful with the S1850 as many say they are? How does CEFAR compare to Type 997 radar?
Not sure what you're trying to say here.  The T45's principal radar is Sampson, which is right up there in terms of capability.  Sampson is complemented on T45 with S1850 in addition.
I know they are complemented just asking if they aren't as powerful now with the consideration of CEFAR?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: December 15th, 2007, 10:31 pm

July 12th, 2018, 10:39 pm #1077

Thales have developed upgrades to the Smart-L (of which the S1850M is a variant) which should be applicable to the S1850M, if desired. If you want a 2000 km range ABM-capable radar then upgrading S1850M is certainly an option.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: August 20th, 2006, 6:32 pm

July 13th, 2018, 12:19 am #1078

I know they are complemented just asking if they aren't as powerful now with the consideration of CEFAR? AC Silver

I would expect the answer is that CEFAR is cheaper than Sampson and is adaptable to the Type 26 design.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: December 7th, 2016, 12:00 pm

July 13th, 2018, 9:30 am #1079

Anthony58 wrote: I know they are complemented just asking if they aren't as powerful now with the consideration of CEFAR? AC Silver

I would expect the answer is that CEFAR is cheaper than Sampson and is adaptable to the Type 26 design.
Thanks
Quote
Like
Share