The Battle of Brentwood Airfield - Chapter II Part I. Revised and Updated

9:24 PM - Oct 08, 2018 #1

I'm taking a big chance here but I recently reread this chapter and decided to make a few changes to it.  At one point I threw in something that happened during the first naval battle at Guadalcanal to make it more interesting.  Now I know that I'm asking a lot from you silent readers but I would like for those who read the original version already to read this version, compare and let me know if you like the new version better.  As I said I know that I'm asking a lot from you readers but each of you must have some sort of opinion.  Please don't disappoint me and make me feel that I did all this work for nothing.

P.S. the changes I made added another 2 pages to the chapter.

Chapter II, Part I
Oct 23rd, 1942
Floyd Bennett Field Naval Air Station

Even though it was a crisp cold day Captain Lafferty walked the half mile to the Base Operations  Building, the weather even kind of reminded her of back home.  Growing up she used to either walk a lot or ride her bicycle and weather like this didn’t really bother her. She could have taken a jeep but she like to walk and the walk would do her good she thought and besides the weather began to change as it stopped raining after almost 3 days.  Once there she walked up the 6 steps and into the lobby where she walked up the receptionist and requested instructions as to where General Waverley’s office was located.  She was told that he was on the fourth floor in room 401.  The building only had one working elevator as technically the building was still under construction and the parts that was needed to get the second elevator to work still hadn’t arrived.

She had two choices, either she could wait for the elevator which was already going up or she can walk the 4 fights of stairs.  She chose the latter.  She wasn’t quite sure just how long it take  her but because of her excellent physical condition it shouldn’t take long.  Exiting the staircase through the door she looked around to get oriented and found the direction that she needed to get to the general’s office. It took most of the afternoon the day before to get an appointment with him.

Entering the outer office he walked over to his secretary who looked up at her “yes may I help you Miss?”

“Captain Lafferty, I have a 2 o’clock appointment with the General”.

“I see, you’re a little early.  Please be seated and I’ll let him know that you’re here”.

General Waverley hearing the conversation quickly spoke out.

“Mildred is that Captain Lafferty?”

“Yes General”.

“Please send her in”.

“Yes General.  Captain Lafferty you may go in, the general wishes to see you now” giving Captain Lafferty one of those looks which didn’t go unnoticed by the major.

“Thank you” she answered and walked into General Waverley’s office.

As she approached his desk he reached his hand to give a handshake.  She responded by taking his hand and shook it.

“Please have a seat Captain.  Would you like some coffee or tea?”

“No thank you general but thanks for offering”.

“Before we begin I have to ask, how is your father?”

“He’s doing fine, why do you ask?”

“Would it surprise you to know that I know your father.  He and I served in the same squadron while in France.  I’m sure that he must have mentioned me.  We used to hangout a lot not only in the canteen but whenever we had a chance to get to town.  Did you know that there was a very attractive French girl that he used to spend a lot of time with.  They were almost inseparable.  Several times he asked me to cover for him because they were planning to spend sometime together in Paris”

“He never mentioned any of this to me”.

“Not surprising Captain it’s something that he tended to keep secret from most of the men on the airfield which also included the French which we shared the airfield with.  In fact there was one particular French pilot he had become fast friends with.  Still he was so smitten with her and she him that at times many of us thought it would affect his performance in the air but it didn’t.  The way your father flew he was so focused on his target that he blocked everything else out.  In wartime this could be dangerous but it worked out well for your father.  Anyway as I saying it was almost like she cast a spell on him at least that’s what we all thought”.

“By chance do you remember her name General if I might ask?”

“Dominique Beauchamp if memory serves me correctly”.

“Do you think that he was considering marrying her?"

“As close as they were to each other I’m almost certain that he planned to ask her as to when I can’t say because there was still a war going on.  But if I were to guess I would say that once the war ended he would ask her and knowing how she felt about him she would have said yes”.

“Do you know what she looked like?”

“That was some time ago Captain and at one time I did have a photo of them together but with the many duty stations that I’ve been assigned to and the traveling that I did I’m almost certain that it has long been lost I’m afraid, but if memory serves me correctly she was beautiful perhaps one of the most beautiful woman that I’ve ever seen.  Perhaps you should ask your father if he has a few photo’s of her and them together because if memory serves me correctly once again he had a number of them that he shared with the men of the squadron.  But it was not only her outer or physical beauty that attracted your father to her it was something that most of us men look for in a woman.  I’m talking about her inner beauty and the many wonderful traits and qualities that she possessed and it would take me a number of minutes to list them all.  There was also a special quality about her that radiated from deep with her, something that would be impossible for me to describe but your father saw it and knew at once what it was. The best way to explain their relationship to each other that they were lost souls destined by fate to one day eventually find one another.  One thing is for certain Captain Lafferty is that your father was never quite the same man after meeting her and from what he told me it was by pure chance in an art museum, the Louvre if I’m not mistaken”.

“Do you think that this might have been the reason why he was involved in that flying accident which sent him to the hospital?”

“I can’t speculate on that Captain because your father like you was a natural born flyer and he was always focused on what he had to do once he got airborne”.

“Thanks General.  One more thing by chance do you know the reason as why they never got together again after the war or even got married”.

“The way I heard was that he had instructed her to go to Paris where he would meet her after the war.  I believe it would have been then that he would have asked her to marry him.  But for whatever reason's he could not find her, she was not at any of the places that they enjoyed together.  He even took a chance and went to her family’s residence but they wouldn’t tell him anything.  The fact of the matter was that he was not to well liked by them.  Someone even suggested that he hire a private investigator which he did but this PI also came up empty.  It was a though she disappeared off the face of the earth.  For a brief moment he even considered her to be an angel sent to earth to look after him, a guardian angel of sorts”.

“Do you think that perhaps she was killed during the war which might explain why they never reunited?”

“Hard to say but I seriously doubt it and I’m sure that she is still alive somewhere and as to why she never reunited with her father only she would know that answer”.

“General if she is still alive do you think that there might be a chance for me to one day meet her.  Because if she is still alive I would really want too”.

“Captain one thing I’ve learned is that anything is possible if you wish it hard enough and I’m almost certain that you will.  Perhaps one day after this war is over or if you are lucky enough and we take France and Paris back from the Germans you might have a chance to go there and look for her yourself”.

“It’s strange though”.

“What’s strange?”

“It’ strange because it’s unlike my father to keep secrets from me.  Ever since I can remember as a child he’s always been open and honest about everything with me”.

“I’m sure there is a reason he hasn’t told you about her, perhaps you should bring this up with your father next time you see him.  About the only thing that I can think of was that losing her was far to traumatic for him and it was because of this that he had kept you from knowing all about her and their relationship.  Perhaps and I’m not a psychiatrist mind you but there a chance that if you bring the subject of her up to your father it might bring up long buried memories some good, some bad which he is not ready to face”.

“Do you think my mother knew about her?”

“I can’t answer that only because once the war ended I lost all contact with your father and this wasn’t by choice”.

“What do you mean?”

“Well it seems that every time I tried to get in touch with him whether by mail, phone or even telegraph he never got back to me?”

“Why didn’t you visit him then”.

“I tried on several occasions but each time that I did he was no longer at the address that I was given so I stopped after a few years.  Felt that even though he was married to your mother talking with me might have brought up the past, something that he wanted to forget and I don’t blame him and neither should you”.

“Trust me I don’t General”.  But in the back of her mind she had just one thought. “My god” Captain Lafferty thought to herself just what kind of secrets has my father been keeping from me all of these years”.

“Very well general if you won’t tell me I guess I have no choice but to ask my father”.

“Listen Captain it’s not that I won’t tell, I can’t.  Suffice to say that it’s a part of your father past that has haunted him for sometime, even now I suspect.  However if by chance you do talk to him and the subject of Dominique comes up be tactful and careful what you say.  For if you don’t it might cause irreparable to him as well as your relationship with him.  Better if if you briefly mention it and let him do the talking.  I’m not sure if he told you this but as I said earlier we were both in the 77th Pursuit Squadron and first flew Nieuports before you father somehow managed to get his hand on a Sopwith Pup.  Rumor has it that he won it from a British ace during a card game.  Not sure if this rumor is true or not but it was in that plane that your father started to rack up his score of German planes shot down.  Tell me major does your father still have that plane.  At wars end he told a bunch of us that he was somehow going to get it out of France and bring it home with him”.

“Yes General Waverley he still has it.  He keeps it in a hanger along with his Jenny and my Stearman”.

“Amazing!  Does it still fly?”

“Yes it still does.  My father still keeps it in flying condition”.

“Does he get a chance to fly it any?”

“He used to when I was younger but not anymore”.

“That’s a shame Captain”.

“By the way while we’re on the subject how many Germans did you shoot down General?”

“I was not as lucky as your father nor did I have his piloting skills which apparently he passed onto you but I did manage to shoot down 11 German planes and believe it or not 2 dirigibles ".

“13 that still good and your still an ace no matter how you look at it”.

“That’s true Captain but I was on the same level as your father.  When your father went up looking Germans it was a Bald Eagle hunting for it’s prey”.

“But from what my father tells me there is a problem with his count total”.

“What’s that”.

“According to my dad he should have gotten credit for at least another 17 planes.  From what he told me those planes were deep behind allied lines when he engaged them and although they didn’t go down right away from all appearances not only to him but another in your squadron they were too damaged to make it back to their airfield”.

“He still’s sticking to that, I’m not surprised but since there were no eye witness accounts that they went down they couldn’t be credited to him.  However Captain Lafferty that’s not to say that they didn’t.  Perhaps some day the truth will come out and his tally will change.  Still he was only 4 planes behind the American top scoring ace which in my book is not bad”.

“I appreciate what you just said about my father General Waverley”.

“Now that the pleasantries are out of the way what can I do for you Captain?”

“Well General I’m sure that you’re aware that recently a number of the female ferry pilots have been shot down by German fighters”.

“Yes I’m aware of this and it’s unfortunate that it happened but we’re currently in a major war and casualties are to be expected”.

“I don’t disagree with you on this but those women were defenseless, flying unarmed aircraft and there was no reason that I could think of that they should have died like that.  The biggest difference between male and female pilots are their training.  Where the majority if not all of the male pilots receive training to fight in the air the female pilots receive none of this training and I find this to be deplorable as do most of the female pilots.  As you well know the majority of our female pilots already have some sort of flight experience, and given the fact that they have been ferrying new bombers and fighters to England they are in a few words cannon fodder to German fighter pilots.  I’m even going out on a limb here but many of those female pilots could run rings around their male counterparts and one of these female pilots is now in the room sitting right in front of you having a conversation”.

These words took General Waverly completely off guard but she just said strung a chord with him and she was right about her assessment of a number of female pilots including her.  This is something that he could not disagree with because he personally witnessed on several occasions just how good those female pilots actually were.  But this didn’t sway his belief nor would what she said would sway those above him.

“I’m sorry you feel that way Captain but those male pilots you speak of fly into combat putting their lives on the line everyday while all our female pilots do is to ferry planes to England.  Current regulations as you should be well aware forbid female pilots to serve in combat units, just as women are forbidden to serve on the front lines and on ships in the navy though women are still allowed to join the armed forces they are regulated to serve in areas far from the combat zone”

“That’s bull and you damn well know it General.  Women have been fighting in wars with men throughout history and not only fighting but dying as well yet they don’t get the same recognition as the men do nor are they decorated.  It’s just that western countries like the US are puritanical and quite frankly I’m getting tired of the way women are getting treated.  The thinking that women are considered second class citizens went out the door when the 19th Amendment was passed. 

“I suggest that you watch both your language and temper Captain”.

“Or what General you’ll court martial me.  May I remind you general as you so eloquently stated that I’m not a member of any of the nation’s armed forces.  The organization that I work for is considered an auxiliary organization with no ties to any of the armed services.  So the idea of court-martialing me is preposterous at best”. 

“Captain your on the borderline of being insubordinate and under wartime regulations you could be tried under a Special Court Martial and that Captain I wouldn’t want to have to convene as you have too much of a promising career ahead of you.  In some ways your much like your father and I can respect that but you have to learn Captain that there is a time and place for everything and what you are requesting falls into neither”.

The meeting so far wasn’t going as well as Captain Lafferty had hoped.  She was on the verge of storming out of the office and turning in her resignation as Captain for the ferry service.  But she was just as stubborn as her father and wouldn’t General Waverley the satisfaction of doing just that.  Despite what she was saying she knew that she and the majority of the female pilots and crews were sorely needed for the war effort but they felt the same ay as she does.  She didn’t need a survey to prove this fact. The country needed every man that it could get to fight the war which was on two fronts.  But she wasn’t about to give up so easily.  She knew by the tone of General Waverley’s voice that he was getting somewhat irritated at her but she needed to stress her point and have her say no matter what the cost.  And if court-martialing her is what it would take to get her voice out, so be it she was prepared for it was one thing that her father had taught her to do and that was no matter where she was, who she was talking with and no matter the subject not to be afraid of speaking her mind.  She lived this way ever since she could remember and will continue to do so no matter what people think of her or have to say.  She knew that she was just as good a pilot as the men and so were a number of the female pilots in hers and the other WASP units.  She also knew that what she was doing was wrong but she felt that she had no choice to bring it up, someone had to.

“May I remind general if not for the women who are replacing men in a number of fields the amount of men that this country can put into the field will be somewhat limited.  Right now there are tens of thousands of women working in every wartime industry in this country.  From building aircraft and tanks to manufacturing arms and ammunition.  Now take those women away even for a short period, the positions they fill would have to be taken once again by men, men who are needed on the frontlines, manning bombers & fighters not to mention tanks.  Then there are the ships now under construction that will need crews, where will you get the men to man them.  General all I’m asking is for the women in the ferrying services to be given half a chance to live and survive which is no more then the men want “.

“Again Captain I’m reminding to watch what you say and how you speak to me.  But while we’re on the subject you and your fellow female pilots have already broken a number of regulations with your antics shuttling aircraft to both coasts.  You didn’t think that what you were doing wouldn’t go unnoticed by either the military or general public did you”.   Pulling out a folder from his desk he pointed to it “in this folder Captain are numerous reports and complaints about you and pilots activities.  Although I admit you are not in command of those female aircrews you are the catalyst of their recent activities which has spread to most of the service. 

I’m also aware of the barnstorming stunt you did last year over Dawson field where you challenged army pilots to engage in mock dogfights.  You should have been arrested, fined and your aircraft confiscated, and I’m at a loss as to why none of that happened.  The fact of the matter Captain Lafferty is I’m not unsympathetic to you and your fellow female pilots and aircrews but rules are rules and regulations and both need to be followed if we are going to win this war”

“General Waverly I’m sorry if I had offended you but I’m not sorry for what I said.  You claim that you knew my father but I’m questioning if you really did.  Because if you knew him as you say that you did you would know that he was outspoken and was not afraid to voice his opinion on any subject.  My grandparents used to tell me stories about growing up and the trouble he would get into with his teachers at school especially in history which was his favorite subject, which by the way is also mine as well.  He told his teachers a number of times that they did not know what they were talking about when it came to a number of subjects mainly on past historic battles.  Many times he was thrown out of class for this and sent to the principles office forcing the principle to call my grandparents and suspend him for a few days.  But my father would have none of this and would do a little research not at the local library but also by going through the large amounts of historical books that he accumulated over the years.  When he felt that he did enough research and collected enough material to prove his case he would go back to school and in front of the rest of the students prove his teachers wrong.  But it was not only at school that he did this but also at church.  So you see General I’m just like father because he taught me to be outspoken and like my father it has gotten me in trouble a number of times but I am who I am and neither you, the military nor the US government is going to change this fact”.

General Waverly was a bit stymied at what Captain Latterty just said.  Yes it was true about what she said about her father as he was witness to this during the First World War and it did seem that Captain Lafferty was indeed just like her father and if he didn’t know any better he would safely guess that her children will be just like her.  As he was thinking about what she said all he can do was look at her but before he could reply Captain Lafferty continued talking.

“General do you have a daughter?”

“I have three why?”

“May I ask how old they are?”

“From oldest to youngest 25, 22 & 20.  I see where your going with this Captain.  You’re about to say what if one or all of my daughters signed up for the ferry service and were killed in the performance of their duties weren’t you”.

“Yes sir matter of fact I was”.

“Well I’ll answer that question.  I would be extremely resentful to the government and war department for allowing it to happen and more then likely I would say something.  It’s one thing to lose a son in a war but it would something entirely different to lose a daughter.  So in this I strongly agree with you.  But as I said my hands are tied because of regulations forbidding training of women to fight in combat”.

General how well are you versed with the battles of the navy?”

“Other then what was reported both officially and through the news media not much, why”.

“Did you know that on November 12th of last year there was a naval battle off the coast of the island of Guadalcanal in the Solomon Island Group in the south Pacific.  During a brief 30 minute engagement the Japanese lost a battleship and 2 destroyers while out of a force of 13 ships the navy lost 5 ships.  During the battle the light cruiser Juneau had suffered major damage.  The 8 remaining warships after the battle huddled together for mutual protect and at daybreak departed the area and headed to the rear and their base.  Later that morning while still heading to their base the Juneau had come under a torpedo attack by a Jap sub.  When the torpedo hit there was a huge explosion in the area where they stored their ammunition.  The ship literally discinergrated as a result of the explosion and disappeared in a cloud of black, yellow black and brown smoke”.

“What has this got to do what we’re talking about Captain?”

“I’m getting to that General”.

“Did you know that on that ship were five brothers who’s last name was Sullivan and did you also know that all 5 were killed when the ship exploded.  In one stroke the parents of those brothers had lost their entire family and any possible future that they might have had.”

“I had no idea that happened”.

“Very people do, but just imagine your daughters in a similar situation.  Suppose all three were flying the same B-17 or B-24 and had come under attack by German fighters over England and the plane exploded in the air or when it hit the ground and all three of your daughters were killed instantly.  Tell me General how would you feel that about the current rules and regulations that forbid female pilots and crews to defend themselves.  No General I don’t think that you would still approve of those rules and regulations”.

“How do you know all of this Captain?”

“As I told you earlier General I’m just like my father and I came prepared for this meeting by doing a little research”.

“I don’t know what say Captain.  I’m at a loss of words at the moment”.

“Understood General but what if I had a solution to our problem general, one that would be unofficial.  Would you as our CO support it?”

“It would all depend on the solution Captain.  So what would you have in mind?”

“For now what I’m going to suggest is like I just said is unofficial.  From my personal experience as you already know is that male pilots and aircrews go through a regimented course that is officially recognized.  My idea and again this unofficial is to ask for volunteer instructors to teach us women how not to defend ourselves as the aircraft we fly are unarmed but to be able to out maneuver the German pilots long enough to get to safety by landing at either our airfield or any other allied airfield.  Where and when the training would take place would have to of course be kept strictly confidential and off the record.  But to give you an idea as to where there are a number of private and undisclosed airfields around the country that could be used or...”.

“Or what Captain”.

“Or some isolated military airstrip somewhere out in Nevada where there would no chance of discovery”.

“You thought this out haven’t you Captain”.

“Not completely general but all I would need is for some sort of groundwork to be laid.  From there we’ll see where it goes.  Just to make a point with you this war right now is being fought on two fronts and will not only expand but will more then likely last years.  During that time every available male will either volunteer for service or be called up for duty.  When this happens General women will replace those men in whatever field that they worked.  Not to sound to morbid general but thousands of men will either die during the war or critically wounded.  So right now there is an untapped resource, the women of this country.  They could and already have been filling in for men.  However how would it look to the general public if it is known that women are dying needlessly in doing the same jobs that men were trained to do.  I personally don’t think that it would go down to well.  Right now over in England from what I understand women are manning AA guns, over in Russia they are fighting alongside men and flying combat missions over Russia.  What makes the US different from them.  Do you know your history General, I’m serious, do you know anything about American history if not I will try and refresh your memory.  Since the Revolutionary War women have fought alongside their men folk on the battle line sometimes even replacing them when the men were either wounded or killed.

There was Margaret Cochran Corbin who after her husband was wounded manning his cannon defending Fort Washington.  Although a nurse took his post which was to fire, clean and aim the cannon.  She later became the first women to earn a military pension.

Then there was Deborah Sampson who after disguising herself as a man enlisted for the whole term of the war and was wounded twice.  The first by a sword and the second when she was shot.

There was also Mary Hays McCauly who like Margaret Cochran Corbin took up her husband’s position firing a cannon during the Battle of Monmoth.

These are but just three examples General Waverley and I’m sure there are much more.  The west would have not been won  general if not for women fighting alongside their men in defending their homes or on the ramparts of forts.  My female pilots and aircrews are no different then they were.  More then likely some will say that they were going through extra ordinary circumstances but so are the ones that we are going though now. 

Just think of this General.  Let us suppose that the Germans invade the US and let us suppose that in a number of situations because of a manpower shortage women are not only required to fight but also needed to fight to defend this country and are you going to deny them that right and regulate them to some behind the lines positions.  I seriously think not.  You want to know something General with this war I see the tides changing for the women in this country.  I see them being trained as soldiers, sailors and marines.  I see them manning warships and flying combat aircraft, I see them fighting and yes dying alongside of men on the frontlines.  To deny us now will be setting back the growth of this country”.

“Are you done Captain”.

“Yes for the moment”.

“You’ve stated your position eloquently and I was not aware of women fighting in past US wars but I’m fully aware of what they did on the frontier of this country.  I also know about the British women manning AA guns as well as what the Russian women are doing and more then likely your vision of women will do for the military services of this country in the future will happen but we are talking about the present, not the past or the future.  At the moment there are laws preventing women from fighting in combat and until those laws are changed by congress there is nothing that can be done....”

“But?'

“Let me finish Captain.  As I said I’m not unsympathetic to what you just said especially when you had brought up my daughters, that Captain was a wake up call.  Would you believe that all 3 of them have recently after a few of their friends have already done, have signed up to become ferry pilots though none have any flying experience.  When I first heard about this I was livid but major they are no longer children, they are grown adults who are very patriotic.  All will in the next month will be shipped to some training facility to undergo flight training and then when that training is over will be assigned to one of the ferry units.  If I had my way I would have them assigned to your unit but that is not up to me.  Now Captain in light of what was said here I can’t make you any promises about what you want or require but I can tell you this.  I will let feelers out and see what happens but I will do one thing for you Captain and that is I know of a number of pilots who would be more then willing on a purely volunteer basis help”.

“Thanks General that’s all I wanted to hear and I’ll be happy to have your daughters in my unit when they graduate pilot training”.

“Don’t thank me yet Captain this was the easy part, the hard part is coming.  One more thing that you should know.  I’ve recommended you to be promoted to Major, it will become effective once the request is approved.  Just to let you know Captain I recommended you for this promotion for several reasons.  First and foremost is that from all reports you are an effective leader and have the support of those under you.  Second is that if this war continues for a lengthily period there is a strong possibility mind you that you might be first woman General in the army.  However if you keep being rebellious as you were with me Captain that may never happen and there a good chance that your services in the Women’s Auxiliary Air Service will no longer be needed and any repercussion as a result of your dismissal may eventually lead back to your father and I for one don’t think that you want this to happen now do you?”

“No sir I do not”.

“You know if you father was not wounded and he elected to stay in the army there is a good chance that he would be sitting where I am now and though I can't be certain I'm almost positive that he would have discussed the situation that I just have. So congratulations Captain Lafferty”.

“General I strongly doubt that my father would have reacted to what I just talked to you about the same way,  He would have more sensitive to the issue and after hearing what I said to him would do what he could to correct things.  Remember he is my father and I'm my fathers daughter and we are vey much alike in many areas.  As far as the promotion though General I don’t know what to say and once again I’m sorry for my tone of voice but I’m not sorry for what I said as I felt that someone had to say iy and speak up for the female pilots and aircrews”.

“I’ve got just one more thing to say to you Captain, do to the Germans what you just did to me”.

“What’s that sir?”

“Rip me one” no sooner the he said that then both had a big laugh. 

“Captain Lafferty since this meeting was technically an informal one although there were parts of it that really pissed me off I’m going to leave what was said off the record.  However in the future if you have any wild ideas, complaints or suggestions I strong suggest that you use the chain of command starting with Colonel Vega who is your immediate superior.  And the next time that you have a discussion with me and you get to the point of being insubordinate I will have you brought up on charges and have you tried by a Special Court Martial.  I don’t tolerate this from my men and I won’t tolerate it from you even though you are the daughter of one of my friends is that understood Captain”.

“Perfectly Sir”.

“Then Captain you’re dismissed”.

“Yes sir”.

With the meeting concluded she left the General’s office and headed back her office in the barracks with some thinking to do.
Last edited by Gunner Bob on 12:49 PM - Oct 09, 2018, edited 4 times in total.

7:47 AM - Oct 09, 2018 #2

This one is better.

12:37 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #3

bastiank81 wrote: This one is better.
Thanks its much appreciated and I even had a chance to restructure a few sentences and correct spelling mistakes in this version just now.

6:59 AM - Oct 10, 2018 #4

Gunner Bob, a well done and more filled out chapter to the story. The language and conversations, imo flow more normally. Well done.   Sort didn't catch this sooner. That peskyrealworld.  Stay Safe.

12:41 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #5

Butchpfd wrote: Gunner Bob, a well done and more filled out chapter to the story. The language and conversations, imo flow more normally. Well done.   Sort didn't catch this sooner. That peskyrealworld.  Stay Safe.
Thanks I'm trying.  I usually find a lot spelling and grammatical errors after I post one.  Try to catch it before hand but don't always succeed.  In this case as I reread it once it was posted the first time I thought that it could use a little improvement so I rewrote sections of it.

4:20 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #6

I like the added details.
They provide more insight into the characters, and how they think. I'm wondering if Gen. Waverly not keeping in touch with her father was over an issue with the French woman.  Like perhaps a child somewhere..
The deeper look at Capt Laferty will I'm guessing help us understand how she progresses in the story.
On the USS Juneau.. I have question...  While the ship went down Nov of 42 and was not reported by the navy till Jan of 43.  .. Your story is dated October 1942..

PC
Psycocavr
Jeep Driver.. 
Cave Explorer..
Learned to read from Dad's USN ship design drawings.

4:48 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #7

PsycoCavr wrote: I like the added details.
They provide more insight into the characters, and how they think. I'm wondering if Gen. Waverly not keeping in touch with her father was over an issue with the French woman.  Like perhaps a child somewhere..
The deeper look at Capt Laferty will I'm guessing help us understand how she progresses in the story.
On the USS Juneau.. I have question...  While the ship went down Nov of 42 and was not reported by the navy till Jan of 43.  .. Your story is dated October 1942..

PC
Oops! My bad.  Was concentrating too long on the story to realize this error but for the sake of the story to continue let us just say the loss of the Juneau was reported much earlier then in OTL.  However I value your import and thank for pointing that error for me.

7:04 PM - Oct 13, 2018 #8

I also feel this version is better.  Looks like an interesting story.  Looking forward to the next chapter.

Bennett
Airborne Doc