Inert projectiles for 16"/50 Mk 7

September 9th, 2018, 9:20 pm #1

I've recently come across a photo of USS Wisconsin while she was undergoing overhaul at Ingalls. The caption says: "Inert 16-inch projectiles are stacked on the pier beside the battleship USS WISCONSIN (BB 64). The ship is undergoing overhaul by Ingalls Shipbuilding and is 50 percent complete" Now I've seen practice/dummy projectiles and they're painted blue. They made a 2700 pound version and a 1900 pound version. I've always assumed the blue 'practice' rounds were actually fired at targets, but they just didn't have a bursting charge. This is the first time I've seen an 'inert' round with the blunt nose. I'm guessing these were used by shipyard personnel to test equipment, such as projectile hoist, parbuckling gear etc. Can anyone confirm that is their purpose? The photo was taken 9/17/1987 by LCDR Lynn D. Howell, Usnr. Thanks.
Inert 16-inch projetiles are stacked on the pier beside the battleship USS WISCONSIN (BB 64). The ship is undergoing overhaul by Ingalls Shipbuilding and is 50 percent complete.jpeg
Inert 16-inch projetiles are stacked on the pier beside the battleship USS WISCONSIN (BB 64). The ship is undergoing overhaul by Ingalls Shipbuilding and is 50 percent complete.jpeg

September 10th, 2018, 11:47 am #2

Are they display rounds?  In NATO they would normally be red, though.

SRJ.
The Seaslug website: www.littlewars.org.uk/Seaslug/seaslug03.html
The Malacia papers: www.littlewars.org.uk/malacia.html

September 10th, 2018, 2:22 pm #3

Could they be "inert" because they don't have the burster loaded?

September 10th, 2018, 9:54 pm #4

foscadh wrote: Could they be "inert" because they don't have the burster loaded?
I'm pretty sure they don't have a bursting charge, neither do the blue painted practice/target rounds, but at least the practice rounds are conical and aerodynamic.  

September 10th, 2018, 10:12 pm #5

Looking at:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8
and
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8
It looks like the rounds minus fuse and ballistic cap.