HMS Ocean sold to Brazil for ......

All About The British Royal Navy: Past, Present And Future
Joined: 07 Dec 2016, 12:00

13 Jan 2018, 02:55 #21

Seafort wrote: It makes me wonder how long before Japan buys the Prince of Wales or Queen Elizabeth for $250M. 
that is not the same case.
Reply
Like

Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 05:13

13 Jan 2018, 06:54 #22

Seafort wrote: It makes me wonder how long before Japan buys the Prince of Wales or Queen Elizabeth for $250M. 
Why? 

Ocean is past the end of her planned service life and her crew have been allocated elsewhere - QE and PoW are brand new, just entering service and have all the necessary crew allocated. I can see why general cynicism might make you expect a QE to be sold off for peanuts but why does the retirement and sale of an over-age ship make you expect it?
Reply
Like

Joined: 29 Nov 2004, 07:40

13 Jan 2018, 17:17 #23

From Jane's :

Brazil-UK move closer to HMS Ocean deal
Victor Barreira, Istanbul - Jane's Defence Weekly
12 January 2018

The Brazilian Navy is negotiating with the United Kingdom to acquire the Royal Navy’s HMS Ocean (L 12) landing platform helicopter, the service’s told Jane’s on 10 January.

Negotiators are working out technical and legal measures towards a potential GBP84.6 million (USD114.4 million) contract, and a signing date is not yet fixed. Brazil hopes to receive the 203.4 m long, 22,000-tonne ship by June, the navy told Jane’s .

Brazil conducted technical surveys in October and November 2017, and the ship was judged to be in good condition. On 29 November 2017 the Brazilian MoD authorised negotiations to begin.

Preliminary technical meetings with the UK Ministry of Defense and Royal Navy were then initiated so the two countries could work out maintenance and docking, crew training, and the sale’s timelimes.

(130 of 212 words)
"We need to get closer to that Dane mentality" - Rear Admiral Bryant Fuller, NAVSEA Chief Engineer, March 2015 ASNE Day.
Reply
Like

Joined: 24 Aug 2007, 23:14

13 Jan 2018, 21:37 #24

I am more interested in why Brazil thinks it needs a carrier. There is no one in South America that poses a threat to Brazil and Brazil does not have any overseas military obligations. It seems another case of South American nations over building their armed forces for status not practicality.
Reply
Like

Joined: 15 Dec 2007, 22:31

13 Jan 2018, 23:13 #25

Ocean is an LPH, a helicopter carrying amphibious ship. It's not equipped for fixed-wing aircraft, & AFAIK none has ever landed or taken off from her, not even a Harrier.
Reply
Like

Joined: 18 Jun 2015, 07:51

13 Jan 2018, 23:56 #26

WAGNER57 wrote: I am more interested in why Brazil thinks it needs a carrier. There is no one in South America that poses a threat to Brazil and Brazil does not have any overseas military obligations. It seems another case of South American nations over building their armed forces for status not practicality.
You make it sound like they are buying USS Nimitz.  There are many uses for Ocean in Brazilian service just as there were in the RN.
Reply
Like

Joined: 24 Aug 2007, 23:14

14 Jan 2018, 08:54 #27

Phoenix04 wrote:
WAGNER57 wrote: I am more interested in why Brazil thinks it needs a carrier. There is no one in South America that poses a threat to Brazil and Brazil does not have any overseas military obligations. It seems another case of South American nations over building their armed forces for status not practicality.
You make it sound like they are buying USS Nimitz.  There are many uses for Ocean in Brazilian service just as there were in the RN.
Yes and one of those uses will be protecting Brazilian offshore oil fields. They have huge offshore reserves, spread over a very large area. What better asset could they have than Ocean. Stick some helos onboard along with special forces, and you have an on the scene ready response to any terrorist attack etc.

Also a disaster relief team/teams, for any accident on the rigs, or anywhere along there coastline where perhaps logistics are difficult to reach by land.. Yes I reckon Brazil will make very good use of her in the future.
Reply
Like

Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 21:37

14 Jan 2018, 20:44 #28

Nathan wrote:
Seafort wrote: It makes me wonder how long before Japan buys the Prince of Wales or Queen Elizabeth for $250M. 
Why? 

Ocean is past the end of her planned service life and her crew have been allocated elsewhere - QE and PoW are brand new, just entering service and have all the necessary crew allocated. I can see why general cynicism might make you expect a QE to be sold off for peanuts but why does the retirement and sale of an over-age ship make you expect it?
Was she really designed with just 18 years of service life planned? That seems a high waste of resources. I know they're not the same design and that Ocean was built to commercial standards, but it's like the US Navy decided to sell off the USS Harry Truman, which was also commissioned in 1998. 

As for a sale of a QE class carrier, I just think that continued pressures on the military budget and manpower limitations will force a sale of one of the two carriers. Japan would seem the most likely candidate, or perhaps a unified EU Navy in the coming years. 
Reply
Like

CG1
Joined: 25 Jan 2015, 16:11

14 Jan 2018, 22:08 #29

Neither of which would consider a carrier not built in their own country. India maybe.
Reply
Like

Joined: 10 Aug 2006, 06:33

Yesterday, 00:41 #30

Given her planned 18 year lifespan and the fact she has already done 20, it will in the future be interesting to see her longevity with Brazil
Reply
Like