HMS Erebus and Terror.

Surface Ships From Every Era

HMS Erebus and Terror.

March 8th, 2018, 8:16 pm #1

In a sense these ships were not used as warships at the time of their dissapearance, but were in all repects commissioned ships of the Royal Navy (being originally build as mortar ships).

When discovered in 2014 and 2016 there was a sensation on practically every news channel. But since then it has been dead silent. Does anybody know of further plans of exploration of these vessels or more substantial reports that have appeared in press or scientific literature? The only thing i know is that a region of several square kilometres has been declared off limits for all visitors since then and that there are plans for permanently manned guard stations to monitor the safeguarding of the wrecks. 

I only hope that it is not too late by the time these guard stations (if ever built) are in place....treasure hunters with money can these days reach even the most remote regions, especially since Victoria Street is now most of the year ice free.....

March 8th, 2018, 8:33 pm #2

There  would appear to be plans for more explorations.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/culture/franklin/mission2017

The area is very isolated.  It's unlikely that there's anything worth enough there to justify the great expense of an illegal salvage and there aaren't really any locals near enough to be a nuisance.

March 9th, 2018, 3:22 am #3

They've employed locals as caretakers of the wrecks so they've tried to get them involved instead of them being mere onlookers.
It's also putting money into the local economy along with the other positive benefits.

It should have got the project off to a good start re: locals v outsiders.

March 9th, 2018, 3:26 am #4

Keep in mind that "locals" is very much relative.  No one lives within several dozen miles of the site.

March 9th, 2018, 5:48 pm #5

No, for the "locals" to even reach the site (the points on land near to the wrecks) takes a lot of effort the nearest settlement that i know of is Gjoa Havn on the other side of King William Island. King William island itself is almost never traveled upon by the local populace since it is one of the most barren regions of the arctic, with little or no wildlife. (as the Franklin expedition members to their great dismay surely must have found out.)

A rich guy with a suitable yacht and diving suit can reach the wrecks easily in a matter of days trough Lancaster sound and Barrow Strait down to Victoria strait in a matter of days in this largely ice free era of the region. (note that these waters are barely monitored by anyone......maybe the traffic trough Lancaster sound is now, i'm not sure. Given that one of the wrecks is visible from the air, it can be found quickly using a drone even with the vague location information available.

Given the renown of the Franklin expedition i fear there might be a lucrative black market for any items recovered from the ships, and some people "visit" such ships just for the thrilll of it.

I know, i'm a pessimist. But having read the reports of the search expeditions for years...i would be hartbroken if anything of scientific value was lost.....