Genealogist trolls Tomi Lahren over comments on immigrants

Enter At Your Own Risk!! Very Lightly Moderated

May 16th, 2018, 10:58 pm #21

fos, why do you want these people here?  You personally.

May 17th, 2018, 12:52 am #22

NoOneFamous wrote: Should we remove this from the Statue of Liberty?
----------------

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/4386-g ... s-yearning
Yes.

May 17th, 2018, 1:41 am #23

"The New Colossus" is a sonnet that American poet Emma Lazarus (1849–1887) wrote in 1883 to raise money for the construction of a pedestal for the Statue of Liberty.[2] In 1903, the poem was cast onto a bronze plaque and mounted inside the pedestal's lower level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Colossus
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

May 17th, 2018, 3:04 am #24

NoOneFamous wrote: Should we remove this from the Statue of Liberty?
----------------

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/4386-g ... s-yearning
Ha! I knew some sap would quote that!

The only reason not to take that plaque down is because it's a historical artifact, a quaint relic of the past like George Washington's wooden teeth.

This is not 1886, nor 1903 when the proto-commie Lazarus' poem was put up. We're full. We do not need millions of warm bodies to break the endless unplowed prairies or man the burgeoning steam factories. When my ancestors came here the Crown was so desperate for warm bodies it was giving away free land to anyone who showed up. But today we have an economy that can't even find room for unskilled Americans, let alone a horde of Third World peasants. Isn't it funny how the same people who claim to be concerned over the plight if America's poor, are eagerly trying to remove what little opportunity they have?

Also... Lahren's ancestors came here legally, a point apparently lost on this insurgent genealogist.

We need a points system like Australia or Japan, not a century-old racist system of ethnic quotas without regard to whether the immigrant benefits the nation. Frankly, a new plaque for the 21st should read,

Give me your trained, your skilled,
Your software authors yearning to code C....
The difference between "democracy" and "populism" is whether or not the ruling elite likes the outcome.

May 17th, 2018, 2:36 pm #25

fos, why do you want these people here?  You personally.

May 17th, 2018, 3:22 pm #26

I would not be surprised if some of my ancestors rubbed elbows with yours as mine spread through northern Virginia, West Virginia and to Ohio.  My fathers side came from Scotland in the late 1600's or early 1700's (MacGregor's) and settled in the Carolina's after they changed the name (or had it changed for them when they immigrated (gotta love that!).  The plantation house is still there (Juxa).  My parents have been back there for the family reunion a few times at the house.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

May 17th, 2018, 3:37 pm #27

That's cool Viper.  They very well might have too.  Northern Virginia seems to figure large in genealogy for Americans not springing from a New England based family.   My wife's family is Scots-Irish but we don't have a lot of info on them except that they moved west from somewhere into Missouri and then on to Oklahoma.

I was lucky in that a great uncle of mine did the work on the paternal side and even went to Germany and traced them to Swabia where he lost the trail.  The name was spelled differently but he was able to see where it changed as the people who would emigrate to New Amsterdam adopted the present Dutch-flavored rendering of my name.  They embarked for America from a Dutch port.

My mother and myself did much of the work on her side where we were surprised to learn the family stayed within 25 miles of the spot they pioneered for much of two centuries and where we learned of the enlistment of much of the young male side of the family on the same day.  Must have been a heart breaking event for their women.  There were five of them and they came to no good at Spotsylvania where one is killed and three are captured.  One was absent from the battle.  We don't know if he had been killed earlier in the war or not but seems likely or he could have been ill or a deserter.

May 17th, 2018, 3:54 pm #28

Hark wrote: fos, why do you want these people here?  You personally.
Why do you think I do? 

May 17th, 2018, 4:07 pm #29

I can't see any positive reason from my point of view.  

May 17th, 2018, 5:24 pm #30

IMO a big part of the problem is everyone seems to concentrate on a few (often different) aspects of the issue when what we need to do is look at the issue as a whole.  For instance it's not at all clear whether illegal aliens are a net plus or minus with regards to the financial health of the country.  Now I agree that having illegals here is a bad thing but if we need them here then making them (or at least the right ones) legal would seem a logical step.  Likewise if they are a net negative then figuring out a way to decrease the numbers is reasonable if it's done in such a way as not to cost more than the benefit.  I'm pretty sure the proposed wall for instance will cost a lot more than the benefit it will produce.  There are other methods although there costs may be excessive as well.  For instance economic decline during the last administration saw at least one period that lasted for months if not a year or two where the  number of illegals declined.  This was primarily due to the economic down turn so no net plus there.  However it does illustrate other possibilities are there.