M2

July 10th, 2018, 11:37 am #61

Being a lauch customer in the Western market has some benefits and risks. After this even Barak-8 is possible if Raytheon and MBDA fail to make a competitive offer and the same missile is suitable for Finnish army.

Delayed negotiations with Rauma shipyard is not a good sign, but everybody knew years ago that these Finnish navy projects are underbudgeted.

M2

August 9th, 2018, 11:52 am #62

In any case 260€ million is earmarked for the new ships in 2019 budged. Finnish navy also gets money for anti-submarine mines, new ammunition and Jurmo-class modernisation.

August 9th, 2018, 6:46 pm #63

What if the new ships are delayed then? I suspect one possible option is to keep the minelayers in service. These are sturdy ships which should be able to provide a few more years of service if necessary. Unfortunately I don't think the same thing can be said about the Raumas.

Do you mean that modernisation of existing Jurmo class is preferred over the acquisation of more new built Jehu boats?

Regards,

/Per
"The speed was OK but the corner was too tight."

- Juha Kankkunen

M2

August 9th, 2018, 7:52 pm #64

Per Nordenberg wrote: What if the new ships are delayed then? I suspect one possible option is to keep the minelayers in service. These are sturdy ships which should be able to provide a few more years of service if necessary. Unfortunately I don't think the same thing can be said about the Raumas.

Do you mean that modernisation of existing Jurmo class is preferred over the acquisation of more new built Jehu boats?
I have no idea, just reading the new budged book. Usually the Finnish Ministry of Finance prefers the cheapest option, and the Finnish navy prefers vessels with officers over land-based things.

If Squadron 2020 is delayed the most logical option would be to keep Hämeenmaa-class in service a bit longer, if feasible. Rauma-class has known hull fatigue issues.

Jurmo-class modernization was decided in 2016 and millions have already been used in that project. I don´t know if they even modernize all the boats in the end.

EDIT: New anti-submarine mines are apparently new variable depth influence mines, not CAPTOR mines. Joint TMS (Torped, Min, Sensor) project to develop CAPTOR mine and other nice underwater things was launched with Sweden in 2002 but then forgotten.