July 12th, 2018, 2:50 am #11

Last estimate of the cost of moving I saw was in the vicinity of $30 billion, and that was some years ago.

July 12th, 2018, 4:40 am #12

There's also the small issue of site remediation, there's a lot of industrial pollution/fall out that would need cleaning up before the sit could be be converted to housing.... and oddly enough the NSW Government aren't keen on paying for things like digging out 100' of oil soaked sandstone bedrock from under a heritage listed building. Estimates of the cost for clean up come rather close to estimates for income from redevelopment. Although I understand the Drydock itself is coming up on (or has exceeded) its design life, so there's going to be some money spent there regardless. 

I just love the articles that come out every so often from local residents complaining about the noise etc.... you live in a building that used to be Fleet HQ and have trouble with being around the Navy.... your last address wasn't next to an airport was it?      
Rule .303
Shoot straight ya bastards.

July 12th, 2018, 8:58 am #13

With the exception of the dry dock there is nothing there worth $30 billion, not the office space and not the workshops or its contents. As to refurbishing Captain Cook dry dock is it not possibly cheaper to build a new one than refurbishing the old one.
Without communications, all I control is my desk, and that is not a very lethal weapon."
Gen. T.S. Power, CINCSAC, May 1959

July 12th, 2018, 9:03 am #14

Spoz wrote: Last estimate of the cost of moving I saw was in the vicinity of $30 billion, and that was some years ago.
If the estimate is $30 billion, then we can be sure it would cost at least twice that.  And if they NBN (internet) connection then at least $90 Billion.

July 13th, 2018, 2:30 am #15

skipper101 wrote: With the exception of the dry dock there is nothing there worth $30 billion, not the office space and not the workshops or its contents. As to refurbishing Captain Cook dry dock is it not possibly cheaper to build a new one than refurbishing the old one.
AFAIK the issue is the site +/- the scope of works required. Technically a greenfields new build could/would be cheaper. However building a new drydock anywhere but on the site of the existing one (Captain Cook) means moving the facility. The best of all worlds option is something like resume Woolwich under lease (with building a new cassion etc) to cover the gap while rebuilding Captain Cook.

Rule .303
Shoot straight ya bastards.

July 13th, 2018, 4:00 am #16

It probably makes sense to slowly shift Garden Island (and broader Sydney) RAN uses to Jervis Bay.  If I recall correctly, didnt they already shift the munitions storage from Sydney to there?  

I recall long ago reading a Navy League article on shifting the fleet base to Jervis Bay.  The unique requirement for a dry dock raises an interesting question, is it necessary to have such a facility in a major city where there is a supporting industrial base or can the actual dry dock be moved elsewhere eg Jervis Bay and industrial support be trucked / shipped in as required from Sydney? 

Also, if the move to Jervis Bay gains traction again, is there a possibility of a floating dry dock replacing the need for land based excavation and construction?  Any comparable cost figures out there and strengths / weaknesses of both types floating vs land dry docks?

July 13th, 2018, 5:52 am #17

No, the ammunition facility is at Twofold Bay (near Eden).  JB is an environmentally sensitive area and most of the southern side is national park.  The north side is Beecroft range which is also effectively now national park, albeit one with an impact zone and a bit of an unexploded ordnance problem.  It was the combination of those two things, and the seagrass fields on the Bay floor, that knocked it out of contention for the EO facility 25 years ago.  There is no way whatsoever that we would be allowed to relocate GI and FBE facility there these days - that bird has flown.

July 13th, 2018, 7:07 am #18

Thanks Spoz.  Faulty memory on my part.  It would be interesting to see those who want to takeover Garden Island and move the RAN on, where do they want the RAN going to, and what do they want to do with the dry dock?  Assuming as related in an earlier post the dry dock may be nearing the end of its life without a major renovation, what do they also propose replaces it and where?  I agree with those limitations to Jervis Bay ruling that out, where to next? Let the proponents of moving the navy on come up with viable alternates.  In the interim the navy keeps its base and the very useful dry dock.   

July 13th, 2018, 7:16 am #19

Any move would be a disaster as the impact on the workforce would be immense. The brain drain is beyond contemplation and you can also add in the dislocation to the navy families. Won’t stop greed for the land pushing the idea though

July 13th, 2018, 7:30 am #20

Places that in the past have been suggested, and to some extent at least evaluated, include Gladstone, various parts of Moreton Bay, Newcastle, Port Kembla, Twofold Bay (again), Westernport Bay, Geelong and Portland.  Some have more good points than others, but none actually holds a candle to GI.