U8it vs. u8tools - Tutorial

Discuss Wii hacking applications
jameythepoet

20 Apr 2010, 06:05 #1

http://wiidatabase.freeforums.org/how-t ... -t370.html

Great Tutorial for editing the board.ash with links to u8tool, tpl converter and benzin

Compliments of Bj4e2 -- Finally tracked it down
My thanks go out to him
and those who were helping me

I've been having a hell of a time getting the new cygwin to compile anything for me. I'm trying to track down the above. I have u8tools in spanish, and I can't figure out how to repack the u8 archive after I make a change. I can't get the u8it.exe because of the cygwin issue. Using u8mii, I always get a corrupted system files, or black screen after health screen when trying to edit the board.ash. What's the easy way to do this? I'm assuming from what info I have found u8mii doesn't work for board editing. I've been using Tplmii to convert the png- is that a problem as well?
I am just trying to add my new board to my mym, just can't find a tutorial with a CURRENT or WORKING link to U8it or u8tools. Can anybody help? Hopefully others would find it usefull as well.
Last edited by jameythepoet on 21 Apr 2010, 04:41, edited 2 times in total.
JaMeY - Is there a point to upgarding to 4.2????? Seriously!!!!

diddy81
Wii Theme Team

20 Apr 2010, 07:26 #2

did you ever think that u8mii is working fine and its maybe the things your adding that black screening you

if you using fresh board.ash thats the problem
unpack one from a theme and make sure that all the tpls are the same size

jameythepoet

20 Apr 2010, 09:17 #3

Do you use u8mii to edit the board.ash? I'm still trying to figure out what works here.
I'm using u8mii to unpack the board.ash file from a Mortal Kombat theme, replacing the my_BackPic_a with the same file from another theme just to test. So i didn't even convert png to tpl or anything. Straight tested working tpl swap - put it in the timg folder of the board_ash_out folder to save over original. I then pack with u8mii using no compression and adding no header to get the ash file. I open my .mym (also tested and working) with winrar. Replace the ash file, then create with my menu from working original 00000042.app and the newly edited mortal kombat .mym.
After loading with mymenuify, I get a black screen. I'm guessing there's something stupid amiss in my process??? How should I be doing this. Do I nead compression or a header when packing? I'm having a blast making themes and this is killing me, the last thing I can't change

diddy81
Wii Theme Team

20 Apr 2010, 10:51 #4

have the mym do it for you
first sdta in a edited board.ash (ie the mortal kombat one)
then cout it to unpack it
then under that use a normal simg to change the backpic
making sure the pic is 544x408

jameythepoet

20 Apr 2010, 19:22 #5

Thanx for jumpin in and helping. I don't know what you meaN BY "SDTA" ,
probably stupid question - but what does that stand for.

Cout it to unpack it? I'm drawing a blank there too. I really don't get what you're trying to say. Under that use a normal simg - I feel totally lost all of a sudden? Is there a tutorial somewhere that's very thorough???
Please don't post a link to old Wadder. I don't have a login and I can't for the life of me access that site - Thus the orgin of my problems!

What do you guys use to convert png. to tpl?

arghhh

jameythepoet

20 Apr 2010, 20:19 #6

Found a good tutorial - http://wiidatabase.freeforums.org/how-t ... -t370.html

Includes links for benzin, ash tools and a working u8tool!

Hopefully I can get this to work now!

hunterm
Beta Tester

20 Apr 2010, 20:29 #7

You know, there's a edit button right down there.
To see all channels, go here: http://www.dsipages.tk/dloads/wad/
To download my channels the username is wadder, and the password is xuzz.
  • MPlayer CE Channel
  • Game Channel
  • Deleter Channel
  • Installer Channel
Find the ones without links at the list of all channels.