Where is Karakala

Where is Karakala

Joyce
Joyce

March 24th, 2005, 8:48 pm #1

I am still searching for the village Karakala in the Kars region where Protestant and Molokan Armenians lived before 1918. We found evidence where it could have been located between Taslica and Incesu, Noroth of Kars but there is another Karakala that still exists South of Kars. Has anybody been there? Can Mt Ararat be seen from there? Was this Karakala an abandoned Russian military outpost?

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 26th, 2005, 11:58 pm #2

Im sorry, I do not understand your question ? What are you talking about ?

Armenians and molokans are not the same thing, so you cannot really combine. Also, to my knoweledge, there were no protestant armenians in eastern armenia. Protestant preachers, due to failiure of converting muslims, tried to convert christians in ottoman parts of armenia.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 29th, 2005, 1:47 am #3

And thus were Protestant, if the Molokans could be considered to be a Protestant sect.

So you are still searching for that elusive Karakale, Joyce?

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 29th, 2005, 2:49 am #4

I dont think molakans can be considered protestant. If they are recognized as christians they would probably listed under other, but I do not have knoweledge of this. I did stumble on a website, I assume is Joyce's that talks about molakans. Seems you are looking for a needle in the hay. Ive never heard of molakan armenians, I do know though after ussr fell, all molokans in my grandfathers town left( on azeri border.)

joyce
joyce

November 7th, 2005, 12:36 am #5

The village of Karakala was a Protestant village with some of the residents adapting to the Russian Molokan traditions. They still continued meeting as "Molokan Armenians" until perhaps after 1910 whene they changed identity to Armenian Pentecostals of which I am a descandant. Prof. Hovannesian. knows about the Armenian MolokansI am simply trying to find the original Karakala where they lived before immigrating in the early 1900's.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 7th, 2005, 5:19 am #6

To complicate your search, there are several Karakala villages in Kars. Do you have any indication where the Karakal of your grandparents lies, north, south, east, west of Kars?

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 28th, 2006, 4:59 pm #7

The village of Karakala was a Protestant village with some of the residents adapting to the Russian Molokan traditions. They still continued meeting as "Molokan Armenians" until perhaps after 1910 whene they changed identity to Armenian Pentecostals of which I am a descandant. Prof. Hovannesian. knows about the Armenian MolokansI am simply trying to find the original Karakala where they lived before immigrating in the early 1900's.
Samvel Karapetian of Yerevan, who is a researcher at the Research on Armenian Architecture (RAA) organization, has authored an ethnographic map of the Kars province before 1914. Villages are marked in different colors depending on the nationality of their inhabitants. He would know which village was populated by Armenian Protestants or Molokans. The person who does Virtual Ani knows Samvel Karapetian and could try to obtain a copy of that map.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 28th, 2006, 5:02 pm #8

Im sorry, I do not understand your question ? What are you talking about ?

Armenians and molokans are not the same thing, so you cannot really combine. Also, to my knoweledge, there were no protestant armenians in eastern armenia. Protestant preachers, due to failiure of converting muslims, tried to convert christians in ottoman parts of armenia.
There were Armenian protestants in the Caucasus. I bought recently an old book in Armenian called "Protestantism among Armenians of the Caucasus".

There was even a Protestant mission from Basel, Switzerland in Shushi, Karabagh. I believe the Swiss missionaries were expelled by Russian authorities in the 1830s from the city after pressure by the Armenian Church.

VirtualAni
VirtualAni

January 29th, 2006, 5:10 pm #9

Samvel Karapetian of Yerevan, who is a researcher at the Research on Armenian Architecture (RAA) organization, has authored an ethnographic map of the Kars province before 1914. Villages are marked in different colors depending on the nationality of their inhabitants. He would know which village was populated by Armenian Protestants or Molokans. The person who does Virtual Ani knows Samvel Karapetian and could try to obtain a copy of that map.
It's actually a re-working of a map from a book that was published in Kars, (in 1917 I think).
Joyce - a long time ago I may have sent you a copy of the section of it showing the villages around Kars.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 29th, 2006, 8:23 pm #10

I believe Samvel Karapetian may have used as source the Kavkazski Kalendar, an official Russian publication on the Caucasus. The difficulty in this particular case is that there were several Karakala villages in the province of Kars.