Churches that are outside the city of Ani

2:00 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #1

Hello all,

Ive been twice already to AnI and always wondered about the churches that are just out side the city walls, maybe a few hours by foot?

Is it possible to visit them? I am not referring to the 2 armenian churches in the local kurdish village but one that is literally in the middle of nowhere, i dont have the exact name, i heard there could be mines on scattered across the path that would take you there?

Thanks

7:52 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #2

In Ocakli (Ani) village there are the ruins of a church and what is probably a bath house. The ruin of the Shepherd's Chapel is in the middle of fields about half an hour from the walls and is easy to visit.The upright lump of concrete that is visible even further out is probably the core of a khachkar monument.. Karmirvank can also be visited (but allow about an hour to get there since there is no path leading directly to it and it can be difficult to identify at which point to leave the dirt track road when the fields have fully-grown wheat).Taylar and Horomos are probably not currently possible due to their location in a military zone. Magazbert is not possible walking directly from Ani (some older guidebooks suggest it is possible). Bagnair can be walked to from Ani in about two and a half hours (walk up the valley directly opposite the citadel hill). 
There are landmines at some of the sections of the Arpa riverbank that are near the level of the river (at places where people could theoretically easily cross over) - so for the monuments near Ani only the lower parts of the land around Horomos are affected by mines (but not the actual buildings or the ground immediately around them). The plateau at the top of the steep cliffs that overlook the river have no mines (as far as I am aware). Nor are there any along any of the paths or dirt roads (locals may say there are but they are just saying this as an easy way to discourage visitors and not because there are any mines). The riverbank directly below Ani has no mines.