Churches in Arapkir

Churches in Arapkir

Palayan
Palayan

November 4th, 2002, 5:28 am #1

Would like to know if there are any Armenian Churches in Arapkir.

November 7th, 2002, 11:58 pm #2

In the "new" town that is, which only dates from the mid-19th century. The ruins of medieval Arapkir (now called Eskisehir) are a few miles away from the current settlement and there may still be the ruins of an Armenian church there.

From memory (I want to stress that!) I think I have read the following information: there were once at least two Armenian churches in Arapkir ("new" Arapkir, that is). The pictures below are from before 1915 and show the biggest church. It could house 3000 people. It was attacked and looted and burnt in 1915. Some of the church treasures were later were sold on to museums and a chalice still exists. After the war the church was repaired and was used as a school. It was demolished in the late 1950s.

Little is left of pre-1915 Arapkir, but there are still some old houses surviving, including some of Armenian origin (they have iron window grills with dates in the Christian calender).

Lydia
Lydia

January 11th, 2003, 10:56 am #3

It was wonderful for me to see the photos of churches in Arapkir. My grandfather was from there-Der Avedisians. His brothers were killed in the genocide.

Lydia

Hasan Deniz
Hasan Deniz

March 6th, 2003, 2:43 pm #4

In the "new" town that is, which only dates from the mid-19th century. The ruins of medieval Arapkir (now called Eskisehir) are a few miles away from the current settlement and there may still be the ruins of an Armenian church there.

From memory (I want to stress that!) I think I have read the following information: there were once at least two Armenian churches in Arapkir ("new" Arapkir, that is). The pictures below are from before 1915 and show the biggest church. It could house 3000 people. It was attacked and looted and burnt in 1915. Some of the church treasures were later were sold on to museums and a chalice still exists. After the war the church was repaired and was used as a school. It was demolished in the late 1950s.

Little is left of pre-1915 Arapkir, but there are still some old houses surviving, including some of Armenian origin (they have iron window grills with dates in the Christian calender).
I was born in Arapkir but now live in Ankara. My childhood passed in Arapkir. I had groved with stories tell armenians to emigration. My grandfather told to me that about stories armenians. My grandfather had lived in frendship with his armenians neighbours. He had told me about BASMADJIAN family. Specialy, he had corresponded with them, after the imigration of this family to France and Argentina. Furthermore, my grandfather had started to school with family of BASMADJIAN's children. My grandfather's family name SAHBAZOGLU. May be someone know this name.
I want to write a hisrorical novel about Arapkir's Armenians. Therefore, I want to correspond to interested person this subject, and I want to meet.
Additionaly, it is nice to see Churchs Arapkir photographs in your Web. I know area that to contain this church remains. Now, there is a school in this area (building land).
Please,write me about this subject.
I am sorry for my bad English

Sinan
Sinan

January 27th, 2005, 3:02 am #5

Merhaba Hello
Im from malatya / arapkir
this summer i will go to the arapkir and ý will send to photo for you if i find any churc becuse ý m living in istanbul and my village is amran far 30 km arapkir

VirtualAni
VirtualAni

January 28th, 2005, 12:15 am #6

...you can also post them here - either by using an external server and posting a link to it, or using space in a network54 account. Or you could email them in and I will post them.

Kosger Cercisgil
Kosger Cercisgil

October 8th, 2006, 11:00 pm #7

I was born in Arapkir but now live in Ankara. My childhood passed in Arapkir. I had groved with stories tell armenians to emigration. My grandfather told to me that about stories armenians. My grandfather had lived in frendship with his armenians neighbours. He had told me about BASMADJIAN family. Specialy, he had corresponded with them, after the imigration of this family to France and Argentina. Furthermore, my grandfather had started to school with family of BASMADJIAN's children. My grandfather's family name SAHBAZOGLU. May be someone know this name.
I want to write a hisrorical novel about Arapkir's Armenians. Therefore, I want to correspond to interested person this subject, and I want to meet.
Additionaly, it is nice to see Churchs Arapkir photographs in your Web. I know area that to contain this church remains. Now, there is a school in this area (building land).
Please,write me about this subject.
I am sorry for my bad English
Sayin Deniz,

Arapkir hakkinda resim ararken yazinizi gorduk. Babam arapkir 1938 dogumlu, arapkirde buyumus, resmi bulunan kilisenin karsisindaki okulda okumusdur. Bahsettiginiz Basmaciyanlar dugurumuzdur. Biz su an amerikada yasamaktayiz, Basmaciyanlardan da bir aile yasamaktadir bize yakin ve kendileriyle de yakin iliski icerisindeyiz.

Babam sizin soy isminizi hatirlayamadi, biz hocaali mahallesinde ikamet ederdik zamaninda. Eger bu sayfaya geri gelip yazimizi okuyacak olursaniz nurhanezik@hotmail.com adresine email atiniz. Memnun oluruz.

Ezikoglugiller