Armenian Church in Iran

Gorcin
Gorcin

July 24th, 2015, 7:26 pm #1

Hi everyone,

I am a PhD student doing some research on medieval Armenian architecture. I remember that some time ago I cam across a photo of an Armenian church in Iran that had carvings in a similar style to Aghtamar. Unfortunately, I did not write down any reference, and now I cannot find it! Can anybody help me? All I can find is St Thaddeus, but I don't think that's it.

By the way, does anybody know if there are any other Armenian churches with carvings as elaborate as those in Aghtamar? Thank you!

Cheers,

Gorcin

VirtualAni
VirtualAni

July 25th, 2015, 9:54 pm #2

It does have some Aghtamar-style relief carvings. They depict scenes from a piece of Safavid-era Persian literature (I forget from exactly what work) rendered in a rather mechanical way (the same scenes are duplicated 4 times). Given that the church itself was designed to deliberately evoke Etchmiadzin, it is possible that the relief carvings were directly inspired by the vine-scroll reliefs at Aghtamar. I know of no other examples like the Aght'amar large scale figurative relief carvings though - elsewhere any similar figurative relief carving is generally restricted to tympanums or the flanking of doorways, such as at Surb Bartholomeos in Van region.