What watch do you wear the most?

What watch do you wear the most?

Bret
Bret

February 11th, 2004, 2:49 am #1

Hi,

I was wondering what watch you wear the most. Most of us probably have dozens of watches, but I know you have one that is your favorite. I must confess the watch I wear the most is in fact not a Timex. It is a Tag Heuer SEL 1500 knock off that I got on the internet for $20. It's really cool and has fooled some people into thinking it's the real deal (which costs several thousand dollars). I would have to say the Timex I wear the most is a wind-up from 1975 that has a blue face and chrome bezel. It belonged to my Grandpa. When I got it, it didn't work and the crystal was all scratched. I sent it to Dorsey and he put in a new movement and polished the crystal. It looks awesome now!

Bret

Alan N.
Alan N.

February 11th, 2004, 6:30 am #2

Wow, and not a Timex! I guess I do wear this more than others, but I sometimes go long stretches where I don't wear it. Probably the finest watch I'll ever own. In fact when I bought it, it was like my watch collecting was hit with a stun gun: had almost zero activity for a year. Two reasons, one it set me back a lot so good idea to cool it for a while, but also it's such a fine watch I was just stunned into admiring it and really didn't feel like buying anything for a while. (Though gradually getting back...)

http://alanwatch.homestead.com/explorer.html

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

February 11th, 2004, 8:02 am #3

Hi,

I was wondering what watch you wear the most. Most of us probably have dozens of watches, but I know you have one that is your favorite. I must confess the watch I wear the most is in fact not a Timex. It is a Tag Heuer SEL 1500 knock off that I got on the internet for $20. It's really cool and has fooled some people into thinking it's the real deal (which costs several thousand dollars). I would have to say the Timex I wear the most is a wind-up from 1975 that has a blue face and chrome bezel. It belonged to my Grandpa. When I got it, it didn't work and the crystal was all scratched. I sent it to Dorsey and he put in a new movement and polished the crystal. It looks awesome now!

Bret
Hi Bret,

I'm delighted to know that your Grandpa's old timex is still ticking and giving you good service. If you ever have any trouble with it just let me know and I'll tinker with it again.

I wear a Wenger Swiss Quartz Day & Date function stainless steel military watch with moveable elapsed-time bezel ring and glow-in-the-dark hands and numbers. My wife gave it to me when we were travelling in Europe a couple of years ago. It's not fancy but extremely rugged and incredibly accurate. I check it against the U.S. Time website and it's within 2 seconds a month in accuracy.

I handle dozens of vintage Timex watches each month doing repairs/restorations. I absolutely love those old tickers. It's like time travel for me handling the watches of my youth. I keep telling myself I need to keep some of the best ones for myself but never get around to doing it. I seem to sell them as fast as I can get them repaired. I have one that I've deliberatey not repaired so I can slowly restore it for my own use. It's a 1970's Timex men's Electric/Mechanical with Chrome bezel and deep blue dial, date function, with an original Timex signed clasp stainless steel bracelet. Piece by piece I'm replacing all of the original parts with new/old stock vintage parts so that I'll eventually have a NEW 1970's watch.

Dorsey H.

Jack from Philadelphia
Jack from Philadelphia

February 11th, 2004, 11:30 am #4

Hi,

Bret
The watches I wear around the house are a Timex Ironman Triathalon and a stainless Casio digital chrono, because I use the alarms a lot. I sometimes change watches as often as twice a day, depending on where I go and what I do. If the watch band is leather I try to match the color to my belt and shoes - and the buckle to the bezel, if possible. I will sometimes instead match the dial color to my shirt or jacket. Considering that I have about 30 "wear watches" (as opposed to projects and stash) I have a lot of options this way.

My Timex favorites include: a gold-tone, green dial 1975 auto with day/date that was cased in Portugal, which includes what I think is the original green "pleather" band; a black dial silver tone day/date windup with a checkerboard Escher style dial (on a very stylish rubber strap, my "poor man's Hublot") ; and a 1980 gold-tone mechanical with a deep blue dial and very thin, elegant numbers and markers on a black leather strap that I can't decide is right or not. One day (perhaps soon) I'll start harassing this forum with photos of these beauties.

I could go on, but I really must contact my watch-mania support group sponsor so he can talk me back into doing something that can be construed as productive by mainstream society.

RonD.
RonD.

February 11th, 2004, 5:28 pm #5

Hi,

Bret
My taste has changed over the years. I wore my Rolex Datejust with it's silver tapestry dial every day for 10 years. I got tired of paying $300 to have it cleaned, so I cleaned it one more time and gave it a rest, and now only wear it occasionally.

I found this 1956 14K Omega Seamaster in a bag of junk at a flea market for $1! You can see in the before pic that the crystal was melted and the case charred.. the watch must have been in a fire. Even so, it ran okay. I buffed the case and had a new crystal and stem put on it, and it looks and runs great. I always wanted an Omega. I especially like the way I found it.

When I get a new watch in my collection, I will usually wear it for a while. That is the case with this 1935 Bulova I picked up for $15.
I love the rose gold case with the copper dial. It does have some spots on the dial, but you can't see them without looking closely.

But I am hooked on my Timex 21 Jewel Self-Wind. It gets the most wear. I probably split the week days with the Omega, but the Timex gets the weekend wear. I just love the dial.

Ron

Semus
Semus

February 11th, 2004, 7:02 pm #6

Hi,

Bret
My favourite daily wear is a Poljot Blue Angel Navitimer with see through back and matching heavy duty stainless steel bracelet. I bought it on Ebay last year with the profits I made from my own first sale on Ebay (I sold some vintage Guinness memorabilia). It really is a beautiful watch for not a lot of money. I do change my watch to coincide with every time my wife is in the mood for a 'romantic interlude'...I'm hoping to increase the frequency to twice a year!!!!!!!

brian
brian

February 11th, 2004, 8:10 pm #7

Hi,

Bret
Wow! I sure do wear a lot of different watches! Depends on the activity....

Work-A vintage Timex on a striped grosgrain ribbon band or my Seiko 5 Automatic.
Play-Mostly a Timex Ironman
Special Occasions- Rolex GMT II

Occasional Wrist time:Timex chronograph or a Gold Seiko Chronograph I got as a gift after I received my pilot's license in 1989.

Plus about a dozen more I wear occasionally.

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

February 11th, 2004, 10:51 pm #8

My favourite daily wear is a Poljot Blue Angel Navitimer with see through back and matching heavy duty stainless steel bracelet. I bought it on Ebay last year with the profits I made from my own first sale on Ebay (I sold some vintage Guinness memorabilia). It really is a beautiful watch for not a lot of money. I do change my watch to coincide with every time my wife is in the mood for a 'romantic interlude'...I'm hoping to increase the frequency to twice a year!!!!!!!
Hi Semus,

I thought the promise of a new kitchen would be certain to improve your odds. If the new house and new kitchen don't do the trick...why don't you see if changing your watch BEFORE a much-needed romantic interlude could possibly be the magical key to a higher success rate. If you eventually write that you're wearing a different watch every day of the year we'll know you stumbled upon the happy solution.

By the way...you'll notice I've worn the same watch every day for the past two years. No Further Comment Needed.

Dorsey H.

Semus
Semus

February 12th, 2004, 3:39 pm #9

Thanks for the advice Dorsey... I think I'll try that and see what happens, lol. Semus.

josh
josh

February 13th, 2004, 7:26 am #10

Hi,

Bret
I have narrowed my daily rotation down to 4 (with some others making special guest wrist appearances every now and then ) And now that I've got my new Timex chrono I will have to work it into the rotation somewhere.

Seiko 6309-7049 diver

Seiko 1971 King Seiko VANAC

Bill Yao custom Seiko diver

Seiko 6309-6119-7S26 Frankenwatch dress diver

My new Timex chronograph