What happened to Fossil's retro-vintage look?

What happened to Fossil's retro-vintage look?

RJ
RJ

November 24th, 2004, 6:45 pm #1

I remember when Fossil was getting popular in the early 90's they used to make watches that resembled vintage watches, like from the 60's. They were regarded as a source for movies and television shows that were trying to capture a period feel. Shows like the Wonder Years.

But now they have completely changed. They have a more modern look it seems like.

technoguy
technoguy

November 25th, 2004, 7:47 am #2

I've noted the changed look in Fossil watches and it definitely does not look like anything from the '60's. They seem to be using a lot of what they call "degrade" dials. Basically, these are colored dials with a gradient effect; that is, the dial is light colored in the center and gradually turns darker near the edges of the dial. I find the effect distracting when they have white in the center because light colored luminous hands then lose a lot of visibility near the center of the dial.

The more watches I look at, the more I think "New isn't necessarily better!". A true retro-look watch should, in my opinion, fairly accurately duplicate the look of a past decade in watch styling. The retro watch will, however, have the added benefits of being fabricated from newer materials and incorporating improved technology. Materials and technology should remain unnoticed, while the "look" and "character" of the timepiece are everything in a successful retro watch.

technoguy

RJ
RJ

November 25th, 2004, 7:58 am #3

I think Fossil made a mistake by not making their watches more durable and water resistant. That's what people want. (Look at the popularity of Nixon watches with young people.) They were extremely popular watches (Fossil) about 10 to 12 years ago and a lot of guys my age wore them. I didn't, for the above reason. But a lot of people didn't take it into consideration, and they got frustrated when their watches started fogging up from the humidity. Then they went to sportier brands.

Fossil may have had a drop in sales because of the above scenario, which made them merely change their styles, rather than improve the ones they had. But this is just speculation on my part.

C.W.
C.W.

November 25th, 2004, 12:04 pm #4

They still have a few watches that look stright out of the seventies. Check their site and click the "watch bar". That series has a weird 70s innocence (ignorance) about it. It looks nice at any rate.

The company has been using a shotgun approach to their marketing, developing an ungodly amount of designs each year in hopes of catching as many new eyes as possible. The problem is that they have no one identifiable style! You can't very well point to a watch from a distance and know it's a fossil, except for their "big tic' and scrolling flame displays, which aren't very attractive on a long term, traditional style level.
(They seem to want to keep their target market of 14 to 20 year old males!)

One thing they seem to have down is the licensing thing. They make many of the fashion quartz watches out there for some big name clothing lines and such.

Something I would suggest to both Fossil AND Timex is to find their best designs and KEEP them! Create a tradition similar to Rolex, Cartier and other major players by maintaining a core selection of set pieces that change very little if at all over the years, and also continue with the various other styles they crank out. Timex could easily do this as they have the historical lines, Marlin, Viscount, 100, 400, Ben Hogan, et. al. Just create set pieces as their top of the line models.

Okay, happy thanksgiving!

--Charlie

technoguy
technoguy

November 25th, 2004, 12:45 pm #5

Yes, I think you have "hit the nail of the head"...every watch company should have a "signature" style that identifies it in the consumer's mind. A look that is popular, like that of Rolex's fluted bezel chronometer, from decade to decade and generation to generation.

technoguy

Happy "Turkey Day" everybody...

Scott
Scott

November 25th, 2004, 2:00 pm #6

It's been my experience that the only watches(well, "everyday" ones) that are reliably and consistently water-resisitant are Timex and Casio..the rest seem to be a roll of the dice,and price really isn't a factor sometimes...I have a Fossil wrist sundial I got a decade or so ago as a gift..never actually worn it, or even taken it out on the sunlight..