What can you tell me about Sprites?

What can you tell me about Sprites?

C.W.
C.W.

September 29th, 2005, 10:16 pm #1

I have a lot Timex winders of a smaller size. I have taken to calling them all Sprites, but I don't know that that is accurate.

DOes anyone know more about model numbers, pictures of aspects that make a watch one of the Sprite models?

--Charlie

C.W.
C.W.

September 29th, 2005, 10:33 pm #2

Here is a picture of the alleged Sprites obviously conspiring!

So what can you tell me, are all of these guys Sprites?
--Charlie

Alan N.
Alan N.

September 30th, 2005, 4:12 pm #3

I'm not sure if the date ones are sprite. The non-date military one was Sprite, in a book I have somewhere, the repair guide/catalog. This is my favorite, and probably the most famous of the Sprites, 1972

rltbod
rltbod

September 30th, 2005, 6:09 pm #4

can someone explain what you mean by sprites please.

Knut
Knut

September 30th, 2005, 7:11 pm #5

The "Sprite" series were what I would call Timex's mid-size range. With a case diameter of 30.5-mm they were smaller that the Mercury/Marlin series. There were also squarish Sprite models with some wild dial designs! The "newest" one I have, which I would consider a Sprite model,is from 1977 ( 2377302577 ). I'm not done with the watch, but it has a black dial with bold orange markers ( box ) with a yellow, luminous centre along with yellow, luminous 6,9 and 12 ( date at 3 ). I can post a pic when it's done. The earliest Sprite series I have in the Timex Manual is from 1964 ( 11502464 ).

As far as I know there were no Self-Wind or Automatic in the Sprite series.

The Sprite series were suitable for people with small wrists ( myself included - I have what you might call a "toothpick wrist" - C.W.'s word for a small wrist...! ). I guess teenagers would also have found the Sprite a suitable watch, and also women who wanted a larger kind of watch.

I feel the Sprite series has been somewhat overlooked when it comes to Timex watches - I think they will become more collectable as the years go by. I would assume they did not sell as well as Timex's other watches, and therefore might be harder to find.

Knut

C.W.
C.W.

October 1st, 2005, 3:24 am #6

can someone explain what you mean by sprites please.
There are many sub categories or Model names. Some of these names are still unknown to me. I have heard of or seen; Marlin, Monroe, Mercury, Sprite, Viscount, Sportster, North Hampton, and a bunch of ladies models which I haven't kept up with.

I'm sure thats' just the tip of the iceberg.

Of course recent models would be Reef Gear, Expedition, etc...

--Charlie

rltbod
rltbod

October 1st, 2005, 2:48 pm #7

The "Sprite" series were what I would call Timex's mid-size range. With a case diameter of 30.5-mm they were smaller that the Mercury/Marlin series. There were also squarish Sprite models with some wild dial designs! The "newest" one I have, which I would consider a Sprite model,is from 1977 ( 2377302577 ). I'm not done with the watch, but it has a black dial with bold orange markers ( box ) with a yellow, luminous centre along with yellow, luminous 6,9 and 12 ( date at 3 ). I can post a pic when it's done. The earliest Sprite series I have in the Timex Manual is from 1964 ( 11502464 ).

As far as I know there were no Self-Wind or Automatic in the Sprite series.

The Sprite series were suitable for people with small wrists ( myself included - I have what you might call a "toothpick wrist" - C.W.'s word for a small wrist...! ). I guess teenagers would also have found the Sprite a suitable watch, and also women who wanted a larger kind of watch.

I feel the Sprite series has been somewhat overlooked when it comes to Timex watches - I think they will become more collectable as the years go by. I would assume they did not sell as well as Timex's other watches, and therefore might be harder to find.

Knut
I've always refered to Timex watches of that size as "boys". I remember clearly having the black mil style as a child, and have a few of them now.