"Vintage" Timex?

"Vintage" Timex?

JL
JL

June 26th, 2005, 8:01 am #1

Hi,

I don't know much about Timex watches but I found this one at a thrift store and bought it because I loved it. I would REALLY like to get an original replacement band for it, but even with the web, I'm having a difficult time finding anything. Can anyone recommend any sites? And if anyone has any information about this watch (type, era, etc.) I'd appreciate learning about it.

Many thanks!

JL

June 26th, 2005, 3:36 pm #2

Getting an "original" band for a vintage Timex that is in good condition is very difficult. Most 30 to 40 year old bands are so deteriorated that they are either dried out and fragile, if they're leather, or, if metal, so tarnished or faded so as to only detract from the appearance of your timepiece.

My recommendation would be to visit a local discount chain store's jewelry counter and just buy a new leather band off a display rack for about $5 and use that. If you clean up your watch's case and put the new band on it, then it will very close to what it originally did. For a watch with a red dial, you might try either a white or red leather band or a silvertone Speidel "Twist-O-Flex" band although the latter are a pain to size down for smaller wrists.

technoguy

June 26th, 2005, 6:08 pm #3

Hi,

I don't know much about Timex watches but I found this one at a thrift store and bought it because I loved it. I would REALLY like to get an original replacement band for it, but even with the web, I'm having a difficult time finding anything. Can anyone recommend any sites? And if anyone has any information about this watch (type, era, etc.) I'd appreciate learning about it.

Many thanks!

JL

It looks like yours is one with a visible model number below 6--The last two digits of this number are the year of manufacture. Most mechanical Timex after 1963 have this, sometimes the number isn't visible without removing the crystal or movement.

JL
JL

June 26th, 2005, 6:58 pm #4

Hi,

Yes! I looked through a magnifier and the numbers below read:

10055 (space) 7872A

Does this mean it was issued in 1972? It sounds about right for the style.

Many thanks for the information!

JL

June 27th, 2005, 3:50 am #5

Yes that means you have a 1972 and about the band they had a ton of different bands in 1972 take Technoguys advice and go to wal-mart they have a line of Timex watch bands that I use on my old watches. I think black looks better with red but that is jest my opinion.
Ray

Jack from Philadelphia
Jack from Philadelphia

June 27th, 2005, 10:44 am #6

Hi,

Many thanks!

JL

Is it a man's or a woman's watch? I think I have a ladies' with the same band sitting in a box somewhere. If you are really interested I can root around for it. Let me know.

Jack from Philadelphia
Jack from Philadelphia

June 27th, 2005, 10:48 am #7

Hi,

Yes! I looked through a magnifier and the numbers below read:

10055 (space) 7872A

Does this mean it was issued in 1972? It sounds about right for the style.

Many thanks for the information!

JL
The first set of digits is the catalog number. That often, if not invariably, helps to identify the original band. As I've stated in another post, I may have one lying around. I'll root around for it if you're hot to get it. Your watch was made in 1972, according to the last two digits. The numbers before the "72" are the movement ID. The "A" after the 72 indicates a mid-year modification of some kind, apparently not justifying a separate catalog designation.