Timex

Timex

Sean
Sean

July 16th, 2001, 6:16 am #1

I have a question (probably for Alan , since he is the owner/webmaster). I just returned from vacation and purchased several old watches (most of them faces without the bands). I would like to get some repaired, but want to be sure it will not cost me an arm and a leg. I really love these watches and would love to get a couple working so I can enjoy them.

I have:

14 Timexes -

3 are very cool Electric ones. One says "Dynabeat" on the face.

The remaining 10 are self-winding, automatic, quartz. 1 is a 21 jewels waterproof.

I also have:

1 Croton
1 Wittnauer Automatic
1 Caravelle
1 Elgin
1 Westclox
1 Waldan Deluxe -Swiss made, Enermatic Mainspring

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks.

Alan N.
Alan N.

July 17th, 2001, 3:56 pm #2

I assume from your post that all of them are broken. If it is just one or two of them you want to repair, I think it's feasible, if it's all 14 then might not be. Here's the problem: These watches, I am guessing, cost you next to nothing if they are broken Timexes purchased in a lot. It's hard to "mentally" justify spending the money (for me at least) to take whole lot of watches which cost a few dollars total and have a watchmaker overhaul them, unless I have a real attachment to them, or are in some ways really enamored. A watchmaker works a bit less on cleaning a mechanical Timex, than a jewelled Swiss watch, but the work is not trivial, and the repair cost will appropriately reflect the work. I have sent Timexes to the watchmaker for repair, but in most cases these were ones which I was really "attached" to, or in some ways rare. If you picked out a couple of watches from your lot, your top two, and had them fixed, you'd probably be ok with the repair cost. As you say you really like the watches, so it would probably be worth it to you, to be able to wear some cool Timexes. I don't think you'll get charged an arm and a leg. You may have a time with finding a watchmaker to service it, but if you try a few places one will likely be willing to do it. I would try some watch repair places locally, see what they can offer. As far as the Electrics and Dynabeat, you may have a very hard time finding anyone at all who can repair them. There's sort of a "work in progress" going on here to see if we can find someone who is skilled and willing to repair Timex Electric. You might want to check back to see what develops.

Alan.

Sean
Sean

July 18th, 2001, 2:42 am #3

Thanks for the Feedback. Of course, my two favorites are the Electrics from the 60's, but I will wait and keep checking this site to see if there is more information in the future. I have read the postings and it seems as though there are several people interested in these old Timex's.

I will take my time and decide on which one I will take in for repair. Since I am not in the dealing/collecting business, it doesn't matter much since I am not trying to resell them. Thanks Again.