Timex military auto shows up again

Timex military auto shows up again

Alan N.
Alan N.

July 31st, 2001, 7:46 pm #1

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1621629991

Amidst a bunch of others, probably not in good shape and not running. But really, I'm coming to realize it's the dial and hands you are buying, in a way. They are almost always in very good shape, in spite of trashed cases and sometimes broken movements. Sourcing a case and movement is not hard. If you like the look of a Timex, but it's chewed up on the outside and not running well, there's a lot you can do with it. It's in the dial and hands, I think.

RJ
RJ

August 1st, 2001, 2:52 am #2

The idea of putting a Timex dial onto a better watch. Shouldn't it be the opposite in the real world?

But to be honest, I've often thought about owning a really nice watch, and putting a Timex dial on it to keep it safe from theft. The opposite of a "fake Rolex."

Alan N.
Alan N.

August 1st, 2001, 5:51 am #3

Essentially replacing it with an identical, case, as you could buy an ugly Timex for a cheap price, discard the ugliness, and replant your nice dial-hand assembly.

But you raise something ever better, or more strange! Housing a Timex dial and movement into a steel Rolex case. Now that would be one seriously confused watch! Ah, only you'd know the truth, that underneath the humble Timex dial, sits a 27 jewelled chronometer with Genva stripes! Aloof at its best!

Anyone good with Adobe Photoshop? Love to see a Timex Marlin dial morphed into a Submariner!