timex electric 70's question dust cover stops watch from working

timex electric 70's question dust cover stops watch from working

robert
robert

October 4th, 2005, 3:32 am #1

i got this electric working tonight i have not tested it for accuracy yet. but when i put the dust cover on (i think its called the dust cover) the watch stops working. after several tries i left out the dust cover and its running just fine 10 min now with no stopping. why is that dust cover stopping the watch from working? should i have the dust cover on? is it bad for the watch? im a newbie please help. thanks robert

C.W.
C.W.

October 4th, 2005, 7:22 am #2

Can you post a picture of this alleged "dust cover"?
-or at least describe it?

--Charlie

Knut
Knut

October 4th, 2005, 7:54 am #3

i got this electric working tonight i have not tested it for accuracy yet. but when i put the dust cover on (i think its called the dust cover) the watch stops working. after several tries i left out the dust cover and its running just fine 10 min now with no stopping. why is that dust cover stopping the watch from working? should i have the dust cover on? is it bad for the watch? im a newbie please help. thanks robert
...is propably bent so that it touches the balance wheel when you close the case. There should be a tiny gap between that cover and the balance wheel. If the cover is slightly bent it can come in contact with the balance wheel when you close the case/caseback. See if you can "bend it out" a little. The cover's "mission" ( I think... ) is to hold the battery in the right place/align the battery before you put on the backcase. Hope this helps - keep us updated!

Knut

robert
robert

October 4th, 2005, 8:35 am #4

ok im a newbie so be patient..its not a dust cover and it is bent. so now i have had the watch running none stop it runs really fast like a rocket twice the speed of normal or 3 times faster then the speed of light. how do i slow it down?

Knut
Knut

October 4th, 2005, 8:58 am #5

...seems that the watch has a problem with the hairspring on the balance wheel. If there is oil/dirt on the hairspring it may cause it to run way too fast. The hairspring could also be damaged/bent. Are you able to look at the hairspring: do you see any damage ( twisted/bent )?
You are able to regulate the speed/timing of the watch, but if it runs as fast as you mention, simply regulate it wont be sufficient.

If you were able to post a pic then that would be great - there are several others here that know this better than me.

Knut

technoguy
technoguy

October 4th, 2005, 9:08 am #6

Perhaps what you are calling a "dust cover" is a metal shield that fits over the balance wheel coil and acts to protect that coil from external magnetic fields that could interfer with the watch's timekeeping.

If that is the case, then maybe that shield has, itself, become magnetized. If so, then that would account for it stopping the movement when it is installed. You might want to try degaussing the shield before installing it. If you do not have a commercial degausser then you can make one by wrapping an extension cord around a plastic cup and then plugging an appliance (like a toaster) into it that draws a lot of AC current. After you get that set up and there is AC current flowing in the extension cord, put just the shield in the cup and, after a few seconds, SLOWLY pull it out of the cup. This action should demagnetize it for you and, when installed in the watch's movement, it will no longer affect the timekeeping.

technoguy

October 4th, 2005, 12:07 pm #7

I asked the same question when I first started here, and didn't get a definitive answer. Since it obviously worked better without the cover, I left it out. Seems to work reasonably when worn, stops eventually (after a month or so) on my watch shelf. It's one of the more boring looking electrics, so it doesn't get much wrist time.

C.W.
C.W.

October 4th, 2005, 4:44 pm #8

Can you post a picture of this alleged "dust cover"?
-or at least describe it?

--Charlie
Sorry "Newbie"

I typed that with a helpful smile on my face but you can't 'see' that. I'm just not sure of what you're describing. Is it perhaps a spacer ring that is touching the balance wheel?

--Charlie

robert
robert

October 4th, 2005, 5:45 pm #9

I asked the same question when I first started here, and didn't get a definitive answer. Since it obviously worked better without the cover, I left it out. Seems to work reasonably when worn, stops eventually (after a month or so) on my watch shelf. It's one of the more boring looking electrics, so it doesn't get much wrist time.
yes i looked carefully and i seen that the hair spring has a little kink in it. i tried to straighten it out but no good so i now need a new hair spring.or what ever its called. i also noticed that the battery was very warm. could this be from running to fast over night?

robert
robert

October 4th, 2005, 5:48 pm #10

i keep the ( dust cover ) off the second cover that holds the battery in place. thats what i call a dust cover but now i know its not a dust cover. thanks for helping the newbie out