Timex Diver pics

JBW
JBW

February 27th, 2002, 11:30 am #1

A few more pics of the 50m diver.

Wes Clox
Wes Clox

February 28th, 2002, 9:28 pm #2

Full minute track on bezel; no cyclops; beefy crown that fills up the space between the crown guards; simple hour markers. A lot better looking than many recent and not so recent offerings. Not too sure how big it is, but just think if this had a more "prestigious" name on it (even Marathon!), there'd be lines of WTBs around the block on the various forums. Goes to show you that you don't need a big name to look great.

TimexGuy
TimexGuy

March 4th, 2002, 5:28 am #3

A few more pics of the 50m diver.

I have two postings in this Forum on the Timex Quartz wristwatch whose pictures you have posted in here. I own one that I bought from Sears about six years ago however after about a year's use it stopped running everytime it was about to change the date, at the 10:50 p. m. hands position. Twice Hotline Watch Service returned it to me stating that it cannot be repaired. This is also the determination of other wristwatch repair facilities. About a month ago I proceeded in servicing it myself however it concluded in the total destruction of the watch motor and hands. The movement inside it is completely made of plastic and the three small metal gears are made of a soft material, probably brass. Now, all that remains of this watch are its case and crystal with the rotating bezel, the screw-in back cover and rubber gasket, its black plastic strap, and the watch face and date assembly. I'm not trying to offend any Timex aficionado here however the way that its motor is fabricated follows the words of every wristwatch repair facility that (particularly) analog Timex Quartz wristwatches are not serviceable. I might have been lucky if I destroyed this watch's motor five years ago because then I could ask for a new motor to be installed from Hotline Watch Service. However this was not the case. The remaining parts, the case, crystal, rotating bezel, the screw-in back cover and its rubber gasket, the face, and its black plastic strap are in mint condition. However the back edge of the case has three tiny indentations from exposure to sweat just like any mid-priced wristwatch and the screw-in back cover has some minor tool scratches when I unscrewed it to replace the battery. In spite of this inferiority of the wristwatch I am right now still looking for what I hope to be a new old stock of this type of Timex Quartz watch. I hope you or somebody could advise as to where I could find it. If anybody has knowledge of this, thanks in advance.

TimexGuy
TimexGuy

March 5th, 2002, 6:23 am #4

The crown and stem of my Diver-Style Timex Quartz Wristwatch are also in perfect condition.

Cougar Allen
Cougar Allen

March 6th, 2002, 1:52 am #5

That is such a cool watch that even if you can find a NOS one I think you should put a new movement in the one you have -- it's too cool to let it sit! Quartz movements are available on the net for very little, but it might be less hassle to just buy a cheap quartz watch to take the movement out of.

Or ... Timex surely used that same movement in other watches that are likely to be easier to find. You might be able to find an exact replacement just like the original that's still functioning, in some mundane ordinary case.

-Cougar :{)

TimexGuy
TimexGuy

March 6th, 2002, 9:14 am #6

The New Citizens' Movement? (Heh, heh, heh, just joking). You have a good advice here. Or I probably could inquire from Timex Watch Co. as to which Timex Quartz wristwatch has the exact motor type for my Diver-Style Timex Quartz watch. On my own, for myself to try searching for the same motor or movement in some of Timex's quartz wristwatches might be a wild goose chase for me. I earnestly searched the Internet for a replacement motor for it a week ago and it seemed like the chase activity that I described above and it resulted in a no-catch. However I might try searching for it in the Web again. Thanks.

TimexGuy
TimexGuy

March 7th, 2002, 3:38 am #7

That is such a cool watch that even if you can find a NOS one I think you should put a new movement in the one you have -- it's too cool to let it sit! Quartz movements are available on the net for very little, but it might be less hassle to just buy a cheap quartz watch to take the movement out of.

Or ... Timex surely used that same movement in other watches that are likely to be easier to find. You might be able to find an exact replacement just like the original that's still functioning, in some mundane ordinary case.

-Cougar :{)
By the way, the face and date assembly of my Diver-Style Timex Quartz is permanently attached to the movement. To replace the motor with a new one involves the replacement of its face and date assembly. I think I'll look around for information as to where I could purchase a new old stock watch. In the meantime, if anybody has information as to where I could find an NOS Diver-Style Timex Quartz wristwatch apprise me about it.

TimexGuy
TimexGuy

March 7th, 2002, 3:43 am #8

Hotline Watch Service would have performed the same operation five years ago if I requested them then to replace the motor on my Diver-Style Timex, which is the replacement of the face and date assembly along with the movement.

TimexGuy
TimexGuy

March 19th, 2002, 5:48 am #9

On the same Timex Quartz wristwatch, I noticed a long time ago as I was trying to service the watch myself and which I can't help but mention it in here, that one wire in the winding of its small bar coil (it seems to be its stator coil however it could be some other electronic component, I'm not sure) was "mysteriously" severed and I presume that this defect weakened the power of the motor that is enough to stop it from running whenever it (the motor) is in the process of changing the date.

Romeo
Romeo

March 29th, 2002, 4:42 am #10

I have two postings in this Forum on the Timex Quartz wristwatch whose pictures you have posted in here. I own one that I bought from Sears about six years ago however after about a year's use it stopped running everytime it was about to change the date, at the 10:50 p. m. hands position. Twice Hotline Watch Service returned it to me stating that it cannot be repaired. This is also the determination of other wristwatch repair facilities. About a month ago I proceeded in servicing it myself however it concluded in the total destruction of the watch motor and hands. The movement inside it is completely made of plastic and the three small metal gears are made of a soft material, probably brass. Now, all that remains of this watch are its case and crystal with the rotating bezel, the screw-in back cover and rubber gasket, its black plastic strap, and the watch face and date assembly. I'm not trying to offend any Timex aficionado here however the way that its motor is fabricated follows the words of every wristwatch repair facility that (particularly) analog Timex Quartz wristwatches are not serviceable. I might have been lucky if I destroyed this watch's motor five years ago because then I could ask for a new motor to be installed from Hotline Watch Service. However this was not the case. The remaining parts, the case, crystal, rotating bezel, the screw-in back cover and its rubber gasket, the face, and its black plastic strap are in mint condition. However the back edge of the case has three tiny indentations from exposure to sweat just like any mid-priced wristwatch and the screw-in back cover has some minor tool scratches when I unscrewed it to replace the battery. In spite of this inferiority of the wristwatch I am right now still looking for what I hope to be a new old stock of this type of Timex Quartz watch. I hope you or somebody could advise as to where I could find it. If anybody has knowledge of this, thanks in advance.
I scrutinized the case of this wristwatch and found not just three perspiration indentations on the back side of the case edge but numerous tiny ones around the back side of the watch.