Timex character watches..

Timex character watches..

Scott
Scott

July 4th, 2005, 2:35 pm #1

Did(does?) Timex make any character or logo watches? I have a fraternity watch that bears a striking resemblance to a Timex I had, but I'm not sure. All the new character/logo ones I've seen are no-name Asian watches..

Knut
Knut

July 4th, 2005, 3:35 pm #2

...several character watches, including the following ( cat.no., from 1961 and up ): Alice-in-Wonderland ( 3001 ), Cinderella ( 3003 ), Hopalong Cassidy ( 3006 ), Mickey Mouse ( 3007 ), Snow White ( 3008 ) and Zorro ( 3009). Timex also made watches they called the "Fun Timer " series, which also included a Micky Mouse ( 3010 1968-70 and 16010 in 1971 ). I assume there were a Minnie Mouse as well... Some Fun Timers had oversized numbers at 12, 3, 6 and 9 with colored cases and an extra wide leather band.

As for logo watches I'm sure Timex made some in the past, and they still do; at their website you can browse through the models they offer for premiums/incentives.

Knut

rltbod
rltbod

July 4th, 2005, 8:40 pm #3

RonD.
RonD.

July 4th, 2005, 11:18 pm #4

The "1958" on the dial leads many newbies (and even the so called experts at Shugarts) to believe that the watch is from 1958, when it is just the cartoon copywrite date. The watch has Timex serial numbers on the dial above the 12 dating the watch to 1977.

and of course the men's Mickey Mouse from 1969-1971:

Timex also made a ladies/kids Mickey, although it said Ingersoll on the dial. That might have led to some of your confusion. You rarely see the word Timex on any character watch they made, unless it's on the back of the case. But once you open one, the movement is a dead give-away, and if you look above the 12 on the MM, you can see the Timex serial number.

Ron

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

July 6th, 2005, 3:02 pm #5

Did(does?) Timex make any character or logo watches? I have a fraternity watch that bears a striking resemblance to a Timex I had, but I'm not sure. All the new character/logo ones I've seen are no-name Asian watches..
Hello Scott,

Yes..Timex made numerous versions of both character watches (Mickey & Minnie Mouse, Cinderella, Zorro, Alice in Wonderland, Donald Duck and many more) as well has advertising watches for commercial corporations (Heinz ketchup, Gatoraid, Ritz Crackers, Coca Cola, etc.) and organizations (Boy-Girl-Cub Scouts, Sea Cadets, etc.)

Timex still does that type of specialty work. You can find out more about the current policies for producing speciality dials and watches at the www.timex.com website.

Dorsey H.

Scott
Scott

July 6th, 2005, 4:17 pm #6

The "1958" on the dial leads many newbies (and even the so called experts at Shugarts) to believe that the watch is from 1958, when it is just the cartoon copywrite date. The watch has Timex serial numbers on the dial above the 12 dating the watch to 1977.

and of course the men's Mickey Mouse from 1969-1971:

Timex also made a ladies/kids Mickey, although it said Ingersoll on the dial. That might have led to some of your confusion. You rarely see the word Timex on any character watch they made, unless it's on the back of the case. But once you open one, the movement is a dead give-away, and if you look above the 12 on the MM, you can see the Timex serial number.

Ron
I like the Snoopy watch..

Scott
Scott

July 6th, 2005, 4:22 pm #7

Hello Scott,

Yes..Timex made numerous versions of both character watches (Mickey & Minnie Mouse, Cinderella, Zorro, Alice in Wonderland, Donald Duck and many more) as well has advertising watches for commercial corporations (Heinz ketchup, Gatoraid, Ritz Crackers, Coca Cola, etc.) and organizations (Boy-Girl-Cub Scouts, Sea Cadets, etc.)

Timex still does that type of specialty work. You can find out more about the current policies for producing speciality dials and watches at the www.timex.com website.

Dorsey H.
Other than a company called Bradley that made character watches in the '70's(probably before)and Armitron,all the character watches I've seen are no-name Asian models.I don't recall seeing any beyond-any-doubt Timex character or logo watches..nice to see the Snoopy watches..

Phillip Gonsher
Phillip Gonsher

July 6th, 2005, 5:49 pm #8

The bradley watch was made by Bulova, and the President of Bulova was retired General Omar Bradley ( so I have been told) and the brand was named after him. Not sure if that is true or a fable. perhaps someone can enlighten us.
Phillip

RonD.
RonD.

July 6th, 2005, 7:54 pm #9

Other than a company called Bradley that made character watches in the '70's(probably before)and Armitron,all the character watches I've seen are no-name Asian models.I don't recall seeing any beyond-any-doubt Timex character or logo watches..nice to see the Snoopy watches..
Hey Scott,

A while back Dorsey posted this great thread showing a lot of ads for the character watches:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message? ... 1083346672

I know they say "US Time", but many of the backs changed from US Time to Timex towards the mid and late 1950s.

Ron