The Elusive and Mysterious Timex #21 Movement

The Elusive and Mysterious Timex #21 Movement

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

January 21st, 2004, 9:26 pm #1

I owe you an apology Alan. Way back a few months ago we were posting about the movement in the Timex Ben Hogan clip-on golfer's watch and you mentioned that it had a Timex #21 movement. I butted in where I didn't belong and countered that I hadn't heard of a #21 and didn't think it existed. I remember that my friend Jim Reed (reedspeed1@aol.com) who used to post here regularly told me way back a year or two ago that he also thought that there had been a direct ancestor to the legendary work-horse Timex #22 movement but he had never seen one.

Granted..it IS true that the official Timex Service materials do NOT reference a #21 movement. Yet...I acquired an Ingersoll SNOW WHITE Disney Character Watch with a Timex Back that has a very small version of the Timex #22 movement. Here are some photos:

The 1961 Timex Service Manual lists the Timex #23 movement (the one found in most women's watches during the 1960's through early 1980's) as a "miniature #22 movement". What then is the small #22 look-a-like movement found in this circa 1954-55 Timex Snow White watch?

My guess is that this is an Ingersoll movement that might have been informally called the #21 when the Timex name came into wide-spread use back in the early to mid 1950's. It makes sense that the Timex brand name would slowly absorb the existing designs and movements of it's Ingersoll/U.S.Time predecessors until Timex developed a distinct new line of movements and models.

So..Alan...I apologize. Now that I think about it, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the small Ben Hogan golfers belt-clip watch has one of these Timex #21 movements..or whatever it's supposed to be called.

Dorsey H.

John
John

January 13th, 2005, 8:55 pm #2

I am unable to view the photos. I'd like to see them . This may clear up a question I have on a very small "womans" movement.

John
John

January 13th, 2005, 8:57 pm #3

I owe you an apology Alan. Way back a few months ago we were posting about the movement in the Timex Ben Hogan clip-on golfer's watch and you mentioned that it had a Timex #21 movement. I butted in where I didn't belong and countered that I hadn't heard of a #21 and didn't think it existed. I remember that my friend Jim Reed (reedspeed1@aol.com) who used to post here regularly told me way back a year or two ago that he also thought that there had been a direct ancestor to the legendary work-horse Timex #22 movement but he had never seen one.

Granted..it IS true that the official Timex Service materials do NOT reference a #21 movement. Yet...I acquired an Ingersoll SNOW WHITE Disney Character Watch with a Timex Back that has a very small version of the Timex #22 movement. Here are some photos:

The 1961 Timex Service Manual lists the Timex #23 movement (the one found in most women's watches during the 1960's through early 1980's) as a "miniature #22 movement". What then is the small #22 look-a-like movement found in this circa 1954-55 Timex Snow White watch?

My guess is that this is an Ingersoll movement that might have been informally called the #21 when the Timex name came into wide-spread use back in the early to mid 1950's. It makes sense that the Timex brand name would slowly absorb the existing designs and movements of it's Ingersoll/U.S.Time predecessors until Timex developed a distinct new line of movements and models.

So..Alan...I apologize. Now that I think about it, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the small Ben Hogan golfers belt-clip watch has one of these Timex #21 movements..or whatever it's supposed to be called.

Dorsey H.
I am unable to view the photos. I'd like to see them . This may clear up a question I have on a very small "womans" movement.