Some Timex soon to be BANNED from commercial airlines!

Some Timex soon to be BANNED from commercial airlines!

technoguy
technoguy

January 4th, 2005, 9:56 pm #1

I just caught a news "blurb" that stated that the Dept. of Homeland Defense and the CIA will no longer be allowing wristwatches with built-in butane lighters or BAROMETRIC measuring capabilities from being worn or carried in luggage aboard commercial aircraft! Apparently, the butane watches could be used by terrorists to set fires in the lavatories and the barometric watches could be used to make a simple luggage bomb that could turn the aircraft's luggage compartment into a catastrophic interno at, say, 30,000 feet!

Timex has a line of watches (I think they're called "Helix" watches) that have that barometric measuring capability. So, look for this line of watches to "disappear" from the marketplace soon. It's possible those two Russian commercial jets that blew up shortly after takeoff may have been downed with wristwatch "barometric bombs"!

technoguy

Jack from Philadelphia
Jack from Philadelphia

January 5th, 2005, 1:20 am #2

I'm not surprised but I would like to see something from a news source. I frequently go into courthouses, and I am continually asked about having a video-capable telephone. They are not permitted to be brought in. I read some time ago that employees of Samsung (who make such phones) are not permitted to take them to work due to the danger of industrial espionage.

technoguy
technoguy

January 5th, 2005, 3:56 am #3

I saw the news blurb on the "crawl" at the bottom of the screen while watching CNN. You might try checking the CNN website to see if they have the whole story.
Actually, one may still be able to get Timex "Helix" watches, but one will not be allowed near a plane with them. I think the increased security is a good idea...we don't want to lose more lives like they did on those two Russian jets.
technoguy

technoguy
technoguy

January 5th, 2005, 5:46 am #4

I just saw that news blurb again on CNN. Apparently the ban on watches with altimeter capabilities aboard commercial airliners was the subject of a recent FBI bulletin that was issued to all airports! They must have some strong evidence that these were involved in downing those Russian planes to issue such a ban...

technoguy

Scott
Scott

January 5th, 2005, 3:06 pm #5

WalMart has those Helix watches..one measures barometric pressure, another depth,another temperature..and I forgot what the fourth one did(compass,maybe?)..the trouble with banning things is only honest people obey such bans.Sadly, it seems to me we are losing our freedoms little by little. It bothers me that honest folk might be deprived of a useful device(if Timex stops manufacturing these watches)because someone not so honest might misuse it..

Darrin
Darrin

January 5th, 2005, 3:17 pm #6

I have seen these watches at Walmart for $20. I agree that our freedom's are slowing being taken away! It is a shame that no one in goverment seems to care!

Steady Eddie
Steady Eddie

January 5th, 2005, 3:59 pm #7

Wouldn't such a watch have to have an "output" circuit at a specific barometric pressure to be useful to a maniac??

A mechanical barometer, with hands, I can see. But a "dumb" barometer watch, and digital at that, has no "click circuit" that I know of.

The Government hs banned Propane (Bic) lighters, because if the shoe bomber had one, he would have been able to light the fuse correctly. Now, I understand that one. No smoking allowed on the aircraft, no real reason to have a gas lighter onboard.

I can't see the logic behind banning a watch worn on the wrist. But, then, I didn't understand the severe female pat-downs, either.

Steady Eddie

technoguy
technoguy

January 5th, 2005, 4:10 pm #8

There might be some way to tap into the part of a barometric watch's circuit board that activates its LCD display so that at a certain altitude an outside circuit is opened that would let an external battery heat something up to create a fire in a piece of luggage. I think these watches are banned from the luggage that goes into the plane's unpressurized cargo bay, not from being worn on the plane by the passenger.

technoguy

Jack from Philadelphia
Jack from Philadelphia

January 5th, 2005, 11:57 pm #9

Thanks for getting back to me, Technoguy. I saw a local news item on this last night. Anyway...they would have to do a real good search of a person's luggage to find such an incendianary device as is proposed. You could contrive a very small and effective device using a watch with a plastic case, without band, and have just enough Semtex (or whatever the latest designer explosive is called) to put a hole in the plane. I think I would just attach the watch to my contraband toenail clippers - that would get the SWAT team onto the tarmac quick!

technoguy
technoguy

January 6th, 2005, 6:42 am #10

The Israeli's have a proven method of detecting these types of bombs. Before placing it in the plane, they put a load of luggage in a special chamber and then drop the air pressure in it to simulate the pressure at 40,000 feet. If the luggage does not explode, then it does NOT contain a barometric bomb!

technoguy