Recent Vintage Prices

Recent Vintage Prices

RMF
RMF

March 17th, 2005, 2:26 pm #1

I see that a ’69 “Mystery Dial” sold on eBay yesterday for $152.50 after a bidding war among four separate bidders. I assume this is a fairly rare model. A ‘50’s automatic went for $55.00 the day before on a “Buy It Now” sale. Looks like the prices for working vintage Timex’s are continuing to climb, albeit slowly. Can’t help but wonder where the prices for working 50’s and 60’s models will be ten years from now.

Darrin
Darrin

March 17th, 2005, 2:45 pm #2

I like vintage Timex but most of them always need some work, or they don't run perfectly. I will never pay over $15 for one. The only one I would pay that much for would be a military model.

Darrin

technoguy
technoguy

March 17th, 2005, 4:29 pm #3

I see that a ’69 “Mystery Dial” sold on eBay yesterday for $152.50 after a bidding war among four separate bidders. I assume this is a fairly rare model. A ‘50’s automatic went for $55.00 the day before on a “Buy It Now” sale. Looks like the prices for working vintage Timex’s are continuing to climb, albeit slowly. Can’t help but wonder where the prices for working 50’s and 60’s models will be ten years from now.
Anything "vintage" is currently enjoying some price inflation. However, in the next year, as the USA is flooded with low-cost, vintage-looking Asian automatics, I expect the prices on real vintage watches to sag again. I think most people (who aren't true watch collectors) are really after the "look" of vintage and would prefer a new, modern version to a decades old one that might not hold up to continuous wear.

technoguy

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

March 17th, 2005, 4:36 pm #4

I sell quite a few totally reconditioned/restored vintage Timex watches on ebay. The highest prices I get on final bid are from people who live outside the U.S. Thanks to the weak/falling value of the U.S. dollar, many non-U.S. residents can bid a hefty amount in dollars and still be paying considerably less thanks to the higher value of their home country currencies.

Within the past month I've sold vintage Timex watches to customers in Spain, Portugal, Italy, Singapore, Indonesia and Japan. All of the winning bids were considerably higher than one would expect (although the watches are absolutely pristine and serviced to the max). I'm happy because I get some extra dollars and the buyer is happy because he/she paid LESS than they would pay in their home country. Everybody wins.

Plus...I'm doing my part...granted, it's a very tiny part...to try to balance the horrible foreign trade deficit between the U.S. and other nations. I'm hoping to get a Thank You note from Alan Greenspan any day now... ha ha ha.

Dorsey H.

Scott
Scott

March 17th, 2005, 5:06 pm #5

There is what I call the Ebay Effect-where things on Ebay seem higher than what you might pay elsewhere..good for the seller, but not the buyer. You can still get good deals at flea markets and things..but many thrift stores are now selling watches on Ebay.I've bought about a half-dozen running watches of varying ages at flea markets recently, the most expensive being three dollars.

Knut Olsem
Knut Olsem

March 17th, 2005, 5:27 pm #6

I sell quite a few totally reconditioned/restored vintage Timex watches on ebay. The highest prices I get on final bid are from people who live outside the U.S. Thanks to the weak/falling value of the U.S. dollar, many non-U.S. residents can bid a hefty amount in dollars and still be paying considerably less thanks to the higher value of their home country currencies.

Within the past month I've sold vintage Timex watches to customers in Spain, Portugal, Italy, Singapore, Indonesia and Japan. All of the winning bids were considerably higher than one would expect (although the watches are absolutely pristine and serviced to the max). I'm happy because I get some extra dollars and the buyer is happy because he/she paid LESS than they would pay in their home country. Everybody wins.

Plus...I'm doing my part...granted, it's a very tiny part...to try to balance the horrible foreign trade deficit between the U.S. and other nations. I'm hoping to get a Thank You note from Alan Greenspan any day now... ha ha ha.

Dorsey H.
Many European coutries ( Norway included! ) "enjoys" a weak dollar at the moment. This means, as you so rightfully point out, that we get alot of goods for our money when paying in US dollars. For me personally it means that I can purchase Timex watches ( both vintage/restorable and new ) for a very modest sum of money. Restoring them is part of my hobby, which I enjoy VERY much. Keeping a few I like, and then reselling the rest here in Norway, mostly to people that is not too familiar with the English language, and don't want to mess up on Ebay. I get a lot more for the watches here than if I sold them on Ebay, but I do offer watches on Ebay as well - often those that I feel is more interesting for people elsewhere ( I just sold two watches to Australia ). So you are right; the weak dollar contributes to higher prices in US dollars, and I guess everyone is happy!

I follow your auctions Dorsey H. ( I get an e-mail about once a week when new watches are up for auction! ) - the watches you offer ARE pristine and beautiful, and I think they are worth every penny you get for them! Keep up the excellent work!!!

Knut

rltbod
rltbod

March 17th, 2005, 6:39 pm #7

There is what I call the Ebay Effect-where things on Ebay seem higher than what you might pay elsewhere..good for the seller, but not the buyer. You can still get good deals at flea markets and things..but many thrift stores are now selling watches on Ebay.I've bought about a half-dozen running watches of varying ages at flea markets recently, the most expensive being three dollars.
I've just started trawling USA ebay for the very reason of the weak dollar, haven't actually bought anything yet but prices do look atractive to me. £1=$1.90.

I;m not sure prices will not fall but possibly even out, there is a much bigger interest in vintage watches now than there ever was before.

Re the flea market issue, I used to ask charity shops to set aside any watches for me, they used to know they'd got a buyer so were quite happy. It seems that they all now send them to their respective head offices where an "expert" sorts through them before selling them where they think they'll make most money. They have gtten wise to the fact that some vintage watches can fetch serious money.

RMF
RMF

March 17th, 2005, 6:44 pm #8

Anything "vintage" is currently enjoying some price inflation. However, in the next year, as the USA is flooded with low-cost, vintage-looking Asian automatics, I expect the prices on real vintage watches to sag again. I think most people (who aren't true watch collectors) are really after the "look" of vintage and would prefer a new, modern version to a decades old one that might not hold up to continuous wear.

technoguy
I wonder if currency valuation has had any impact on the timing of the launch of the new Timex Japanese automatics? Given the dollar's recent weekness vis-a-vis foreign currencies such as the yen, erhaps Timex will not be able to hit the target prices for the new watches that it had planned. Maybe this will cause some delay in the intro as Timex waits for the dollar to rebound.

RonD.
RonD.

March 17th, 2005, 7:53 pm #9

I agree with Dorsey and Knut. The dollar is drawing those high prices, as I get the most from the international buyers. I also have wondered, and maybe someone like Knut in Norway can answer this for me, how available are these Timex watches in other countries? I know I have always enjoyed the buys and trades I have made with folks in the UK, because I might be able to get different styles that I cannot get here in the USA.

Ron

Alan N.
Alan N.

March 17th, 2005, 8:23 pm #10

I've just started trawling USA ebay for the very reason of the weak dollar, haven't actually bought anything yet but prices do look atractive to me. £1=$1.90.

I;m not sure prices will not fall but possibly even out, there is a much bigger interest in vintage watches now than there ever was before.

Re the flea market issue, I used to ask charity shops to set aside any watches for me, they used to know they'd got a buyer so were quite happy. It seems that they all now send them to their respective head offices where an "expert" sorts through them before selling them where they think they'll make most money. They have gtten wise to the fact that some vintage watches can fetch serious money.
I can send you a Timex watch in a 99 cent bubble wrap mailer, and about $1.60 worth of First Class Airmail postage to UK, for total of $2.59, maybe about a pound 25 for you.

I haven't been able to get even the smallest Airmail package from the UK to the US for under three quid, about six US dollars.

Another reason a good deal to buy from eBay.com, from overseas.