OT: Apartment Fires? Who's next?

OT: Apartment Fires? Who's next?

C.W.
C.W.

June 30th, 2005, 8:37 pm #1

Howdy Timexicans!

Charlie here. Friday morning a massive apartment fire nearly got us. We fled and I grabbed only what was necessary ...and any watches along the way!
(my pockets were full!)

We escaped unharmed, the fire was put out before we lost anything. A bit of smoke inhilation, but otherwise not that worse for wear.

Didn't the forum just go through this? Yikes! Two of us down! The rest of you be careful!

--Charlie

John
John

July 1st, 2005, 12:35 am #2

It was Alan who posted on June 23rd about a fire that came close on him. As "they" say things happen to celebrities in threes. So, we need to know who the next greatest celebrity is on the FORUM and warn them to be careful. I am serious when I say I am glad that neither of you guys or your families were hurt in the fires.

EdH
EdH

July 1st, 2005, 1:22 am #3

Howdy Timexicans!

Charlie here. Friday morning a massive apartment fire nearly got us. We fled and I grabbed only what was necessary ...and any watches along the way!
(my pockets were full!)

We escaped unharmed, the fire was put out before we lost anything. A bit of smoke inhilation, but otherwise not that worse for wear.

Didn't the forum just go through this? Yikes! Two of us down! The rest of you be careful!

--Charlie
Hey Charlie, you old Timexican....I sure am glad you and yours were not hurt or suffered any great loss.

Take care of yourself and have a Happy, Safe and Sane 4th of July.

Cheers,

Ed

July 1st, 2005, 3:28 am #4

Howdy Timexicans!

(my pockets were full!)

--Charlie
Wow...that is a coincidence! You said it happened in the morning...were you asleep and awakened by a WORKING smoke detector? Or were you already awake when it happened?

Most fatal dwelling fires start sometime between 8 p.m. and 4 a.m. in a living room and are caused by faulty electrical wiring. Quite unfortunately, most people do not have a smoke detector in their living rooms! (The first smoke detector I installed in my home was right in the middle of the living room ceiling.)

Also most people are not injured or killed directly by the fire itself, but rather by the toxic gases produced when such things as wood and plastic carpeting burn. This is particular dangerous if one is asleep...the carbon monoxide level increase inside of a dwelling can escalate rapidly and render the person incapable of awakening or, if they do wake up, incapable of moving to escape.

Anyway, thank goodness you were not seriously injured. However, IF you did not have a working smoke detector in the dwelling, then you should make sure you install one as soon as possible. I've seen the very tragic results that can happen when a sleeping person is overcome by smoke and then severely burned by the heat of the fire...

technoguy

P.S. In a house fire, my first priority is to get myself and my loved ones out to fresh air and safety...everything else can burn if recovering it might interfer with that first priority.

C.W.
C.W.

July 1st, 2005, 4:07 pm #5

Howdy Timexicans!

(my pockets were full!)

--Charlie
Yeah, first Alan, now Charlie... we must be going alphabetical. Look out Ed!

Steph' and I popped the cats in their carriers, I had my laptop handy and grabbed a folder with all my money information in it (bills, accounts etc...) we did really well in getting out with the bare minimum. We looked back once and the smoke was unbelievable. Drove away thinking we had lost everything.

We got very lucky. No damage to our unit due to a fire wall at our neighbors unit. (she had very little damage too.)

The watches we're just a fluke. I snapped up a half dozen because they were right there. I grabbed mostly my wife's stuff and some clothes, she grabbed her small amount of stuff and our fire safe of documents and then we hauled out of there.

Advice:
Get a plan. Just a loose one, but get one. Throw out your junk and keep only what means something. The priority in our case was that 'stuff' didn't mean much; a few pieces of jewelry and my laptop with my writing in it. We had the time otherwise it was just get the cats and each other out of there.

I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to anyone else on the forum. It's very scary. "Fire Bad!" as the man said.

--Charlie

RMF
RMF

July 1st, 2005, 5:54 pm #6

Glad I am going by RMF instead of BMF.

I did have a fire alarm in my house last night at about 9:00. Have no idea what set it off. I grabbed my two-year old out of his bed and carried him as I checked the whole house, all three levels. I could not find anything wrong. I reluctantly gave the alarm company the "all clear" code when the called in response to the alarm signal. I took about an hour for my heart rate to return to normal.

Bob

. . . no wait, I mean "Robert"

technoguy
technoguy

July 1st, 2005, 6:40 pm #7

Yeah, first Alan, now Charlie... we must be going alphabetical. Look out Ed!

Steph' and I popped the cats in their carriers, I had my laptop handy and grabbed a folder with all my money information in it (bills, accounts etc...) we did really well in getting out with the bare minimum. We looked back once and the smoke was unbelievable. Drove away thinking we had lost everything.

We got very lucky. No damage to our unit due to a fire wall at our neighbors unit. (she had very little damage too.)

The watches we're just a fluke. I snapped up a half dozen because they were right there. I grabbed mostly my wife's stuff and some clothes, she grabbed her small amount of stuff and our fire safe of documents and then we hauled out of there.

Advice:
Get a plan. Just a loose one, but get one. Throw out your junk and keep only what means something. The priority in our case was that 'stuff' didn't mean much; a few pieces of jewelry and my laptop with my writing in it. We had the time otherwise it was just get the cats and each other out of there.

I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to anyone else on the forum. It's very scary. "Fire Bad!" as the man said.

--Charlie
It sounds like you are in some sort of apartment complex and that the fire did not start in your dwelling. It also sounds like it was either the smoke that alerted you to the fire or that you may have heard some sort of alarm that gave you time to escape.

Apartment buildings tend to be safer as far as fires are concerned because, by law, they must have fire alarm systems that are inspected by municipal officials. Private homes are, in my opinion, far more dangerous because the homeowner is responsible for the installation and maintainance of the fire detection system. Tragically, in many cases they never got around to tending to this critical safety measure.

In any event, I was glad you had a general escape plan and were able to use it when the time came.

technoguy

Alan N.
Alan N.

July 1st, 2005, 7:43 pm #8

Howdy Timexicans!

(my pockets were full!)

--Charlie
t

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

July 2nd, 2005, 2:02 am #9

Howdy Timexicans!

(my pockets were full!)

--Charlie
NT

Jack from Philadelphia
Jack from Philadelphia

July 2nd, 2005, 10:34 am #10

Howdy Timexicans!

(my pockets were full!)

--Charlie
Swiss horo-terrorists? Oh, that the Mechanical Movement Liberation and Lubrication Movement would only realize that we are co-belligerents in their struggle agains quartz conformity!