Nice fun looking Tara..............BUT

Nice fun looking Tara..............BUT

Foggy
Foggy

March 4th, 2002, 8:54 pm #1

NOT at this price !! Maybe 10% of the price would be more realistic. If you want to see all the bad things about Ebay, read this guys descriptions - they are truly unbelievable. I'd never realised before that the faux chrono Globa's etc of the watch world had comparable movements to the Zenith El-Primero The sad thing is, some people actually fall for this rubbish !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI. ... =703947583

Cheers

Foggy

Alan N.
Alan N.

March 4th, 2002, 10:38 pm #2

Unfortunate comparisons this guy is making, but at least it's good to know that the USA does not have control on the world bollocks market! Wow, he sure is some name dropper, Heueur, LeMans, Steve McQueen, even the Rolex Submariner!

"To get a similar level of quality in a new watch today, one would have to spend £2000." But he's so generous though, letting us get our hands on it for only £80!

All that said, it's still a cool dial, but it looks like it has that 70s brushed plated case.

Cougar Allen
Cougar Allen

March 6th, 2002, 2:35 am #3

I bet he thinks the impression of scrupulous honesty he projected by admitting he isn't sure the bracelet is original was pretty clever. That guy is really rotten....

-Cougar :{)

Alan N.
Alan N.

March 6th, 2002, 4:00 am #4

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI. ... =704026195

Foggy, didn't you have a Globa? Come one.. you've been hiding from us all this time the great provenance? C'mon, show us pictures of the car you're hiding, too. Wow, I never knew:

"Several knowledgeable friends have suggested that these chronographs were produced as promotional items to be given away to the owners of high selling Lamborghini car dealerships as a reward for their efforts. Again, it was always my intention to write to Lamborghini and verify this theory, but I have never actually had the time to do so. If the winner buyer follows this course of action, I would be extremely grateful if they could let me know Lamborghini’s response to this query, as it has always been something that interested me."

Cougar Allen
Cougar Allen

March 6th, 2002, 4:41 am #5

I am inspired ...

Some Catholic friends of mine tell me Mother Teresa spent a substantial part of her Nobel Peace Prize money on a watch very similar to this one. One of them says the Pope wears a watch that looks exactly like it -- but I have been unable to confirm that. None of the pictures of the Pope I can find on the web show his left wrist, so I can't say for sure whether the Pope wears one of these watches or not.

Brian
Brian

March 6th, 2002, 6:47 am #6

NOT at this price !! Maybe 10% of the price would be more realistic. If you want to see all the bad things about Ebay, read this guys descriptions - they are truly unbelievable. I'd never realised before that the faux chrono Globa's etc of the watch world had comparable movements to the Zenith El-Primero The sad thing is, some people actually fall for this rubbish !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI. ... =703947583

Cheers

Foggy
Oh yeah, my Chinese made Rolex Submariner with extra shaky automatic movement, or my other Sub with that fine quartz movement that you can only find in such a finely crafted Chinese made watch... not!! Have seen a lot of fakes in my time, including Movado, Patek Phillipe, Swiss Army, Tag Heuer, Omega, the list just goes on and on. I remember when a whole load of Sea Land containers was confiscated several years ago chock full of fake Rolexes because Rolex was cracking down on copyright infringement and also because some unscrupulous watch dealers were selling them claiming they were the real thing. Nothing like a fake Rolex to make you look like a million bucks!! Especially when the fake gold plating starts to wear off. At least if I want a finely crafted Swiss made watch, I know where to go, my stepmom works for Wenger.

Foggy
Foggy

March 6th, 2002, 7:25 am #7

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI. ... =704026195

Foggy, didn't you have a Globa? Come one.. you've been hiding from us all this time the great provenance? C'mon, show us pictures of the car you're hiding, too. Wow, I never knew:

"Several knowledgeable friends have suggested that these chronographs were produced as promotional items to be given away to the owners of high selling Lamborghini car dealerships as a reward for their efforts. Again, it was always my intention to write to Lamborghini and verify this theory, but I have never actually had the time to do so. If the winner buyer follows this course of action, I would be extremely grateful if they could let me know Lamborghini’s response to this query, as it has always been something that interested me."
and explained to them that I have the watch, but the person I bought it from forgot to include the car with it, so can they please send one down ASAP.

All this truth embellishment is contageous - he's got me at it now

Cheers

Foggy

Alan N.
Alan N.

March 6th, 2002, 7:15 pm #8

Oh yeah, my Chinese made Rolex Submariner with extra shaky automatic movement, or my other Sub with that fine quartz movement that you can only find in such a finely crafted Chinese made watch... not!! Have seen a lot of fakes in my time, including Movado, Patek Phillipe, Swiss Army, Tag Heuer, Omega, the list just goes on and on. I remember when a whole load of Sea Land containers was confiscated several years ago chock full of fake Rolexes because Rolex was cracking down on copyright infringement and also because some unscrupulous watch dealers were selling them claiming they were the real thing. Nothing like a fake Rolex to make you look like a million bucks!! Especially when the fake gold plating starts to wear off. At least if I want a finely crafted Swiss made watch, I know where to go, my stepmom works for Wenger.
I don't have all the details, but I have a good friend who knows a guy at Rolex New York who has the facts on it. Reportedly in the early '80s, there was a secret program to try to develop a novel method to provide gas escape, without a valve. The display back was semipermeable to gases, but only at saturation depths. Really high-tech stuff, man! It was similiar to the membranes used for kidney dialysis. They only made 10 prototypes, but COMEX rejected them as untested technology, so the project was scrapped. Reportedly, disgruntled Rolex workers on the secret project wanted to get back at the company, and allowed the watch to get out. It's worth in the tens of thousands, according to famous sources in London, but since I'm short of cash right now, I'll be willing to sell it for 150.

Oh, and of the ten out there, only 3 of them were never labelled with COMEX on the dial. I have one of those.

ernie b
ernie b

March 6th, 2002, 11:29 pm #9

and explained to them that I have the watch, but the person I bought it from forgot to include the car with it, so can they please send one down ASAP.

All this truth embellishment is contageous - he's got me at it now

Cheers

Foggy
That's real good Foggy. I sent the seller a email also asking to send me a scan of the movement. Bet I don't get one. LOL!

ernie b
ernie b

March 6th, 2002, 11:42 pm #10

I don't have all the details, but I have a good friend who knows a guy at Rolex New York who has the facts on it. Reportedly in the early '80s, there was a secret program to try to develop a novel method to provide gas escape, without a valve. The display back was semipermeable to gases, but only at saturation depths. Really high-tech stuff, man! It was similiar to the membranes used for kidney dialysis. They only made 10 prototypes, but COMEX rejected them as untested technology, so the project was scrapped. Reportedly, disgruntled Rolex workers on the secret project wanted to get back at the company, and allowed the watch to get out. It's worth in the tens of thousands, according to famous sources in London, but since I'm short of cash right now, I'll be willing to sell it for 150.

Oh, and of the ten out there, only 3 of them were never labelled with COMEX on the dial. I have one of those.
Alan, I am one of those disgruntled Rolex workers and I have one of those three also. I am willing to let mine go for $149.99 in mint condition! Folks, it just doesn't stop, does it?