Need help id & back removal

Need help id & back removal

June 29th, 2005, 9:26 am #1

A friend of mine on another forum has just won this lovely 50's (?) Timex off ebay (paid about $10 for this and a Westclox) .

He would like to id it, the case is 31mm diameter, my book (the Dundee one) doesn't show this exact dial so I'm not sure.

He would also like to know would it have had a seconds hand (I think yes) and if so what colour would it have been, he'd like to source one. He says it's running way fast so may need a movement clean or it may have been magnatized?

Second problem is he can't remove the back. I assume the ring with the 4 notches unscrews but it is full of crud and won't budge. Any tips?

Thanks in anticipation, Paul.

Regards Paul Groom AKA "pg tips" on rltwatches.co.uk/forums

Knut
Knut

June 29th, 2005, 10:05 am #2

nt

June 29th, 2005, 10:40 am #3

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 29th, 2005, 11:43 am #4

A friend of mine on another forum has just won this lovely 50's (?) Timex off ebay (paid about $10 for this and a Westclox) .

He would like to id it, the case is 31mm diameter, my book (the Dundee one) doesn't show this exact dial so I'm not sure.

He would also like to know would it have had a seconds hand (I think yes) and if so what colour would it have been, he'd like to source one. He says it's running way fast so may need a movement clean or it may have been magnatized?

Second problem is he can't remove the back. I assume the ring with the 4 notches unscrews but it is full of crud and won't budge. Any tips?

A few drops of wd40 and let it soak a bit. Then use a thin but sturdy needle nose plyers and turn the lock. I have two just like that one. one with a second hand and one without.

RMF
RMF

June 29th, 2005, 12:32 pm #5

It is a Marlin from the mid to late 50’s. Its hard to say whether it originally had a second hand. I have seen quite a few Marlin’s of this style/era without second hands, and many with. It is evident from the dial side photo that there is a tiny hole in very center where the second hand staff would fit. That indicates that the movement in this watch (#21 or 22) has a hollow center wheel and was originally equipped with a second hand. Movements built for watches without a second hand have a solid center wheel. But this might not be the original movement in the watch. Someone may have swapped in a different movement some time ago (not recently though).

I once had a similar problem removing the back on one of these. There was so much corrosion between the locking ring and the case that the ring would not budge. But in most cases, the dirt/crud will yield to sufficient force.

EdH
EdH

June 29th, 2005, 12:37 pm #6

First of all, it looks like you have a 1950's era Timex Marlin. Great watch!!! When you get the back off, you should find some ink stamp markings on the inside of the caseback that will help identify the year of production.

As to the removal of the case back, I would recommend you visit your friendly local watch repair person and ask him/her to remove the back with a case wrench. This will prevent accidental scratching of your caseback. Or, you can order one from any number of supply houses. For the Timex caseback, you need a case wrench that has small, pointed bits, as most of the standard bits with case wrenches are too big for the holes in a Timex caseback retainer ring. The "Renata" case wrench will probably do. Enter the phrase "Renata case wrench" in a search engine and you will probably find several places to purchase. The wrench runs about $5-$6 and is well worth it if you're going to be taking waterproof casebacks off future watches.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ed

June 29th, 2005, 3:13 pm #7

A few drops of wd40 and let it soak a bit. Then use a thin but sturdy needle nose plyers and turn the lock. I have two just like that one. one with a second hand and one without.
If you're going to use pliars, tape up the back, because they will almost certainly slip and put a nice gouge in the back. Harbour Freight sells the proper 3 pin caseback tool for under $10.

Or take it to WalMart for a battery change...

Scott
Scott

June 29th, 2005, 4:11 pm #8

American Science and Surplus sells an adjustable "watch crab" for a few dollars-well worth it-for removing screw-on watch backs(I have one). Or you can use needlenose pliers(be careful). My favorite "rust buster" is Liquid Wrench-use the smallest amount necessary-a drop for a watch should be plenty,and let it soak in overnight if it's exceptionally gunked up. A small can will last a long time for around the house use.

Darrin
Darrin

June 29th, 2005, 5:07 pm #9

It is a Marlin from the mid to late 50’s. Its hard to say whether it originally had a second hand. I have seen quite a few Marlin’s of this style/era without second hands, and many with. It is evident from the dial side photo that there is a tiny hole in very center where the second hand staff would fit. That indicates that the movement in this watch (#21 or 22) has a hollow center wheel and was originally equipped with a second hand. Movements built for watches without a second hand have a solid center wheel. But this might not be the original movement in the watch. Someone may have swapped in a different movement some time ago (not recently though).

I once had a similar problem removing the back on one of these. There was so much corrosion between the locking ring and the case that the ring would not budge. But in most cases, the dirt/crud will yield to sufficient force.
The face and hands are almost exactly like my Timex Demonstrator, which I believe is a '58. The difference is that mine does not say made in U.S.A. on the dial, and the back says Timex, not U.S. Time. Being a demonstrator, it didn't have a seconds hand, although I'm expecting a watch in a few days that I won on Ebay that is a mid 1950's Marlin style, and it doesn't have a seconds hand, either. I love this style, especially the silver on white.

rltbod
rltbod

June 29th, 2005, 8:36 pm #10

American Science and Surplus sells an adjustable "watch crab" for a few dollars-well worth it-for removing screw-on watch backs(I have one). Or you can use needlenose pliers(be careful). My favorite "rust buster" is Liquid Wrench-use the smallest amount necessary-a drop for a watch should be plenty,and let it soak in overnight if it's exceptionally gunked up. A small can will last a long time for around the house use.
nt