Mystery 80s winder...

Mystery 80s winder...

C.W.
C.W.

October 10th, 2005, 1:16 am #1

This watch has no date code. I opened it up and took the movement out. No date code, no ink stamp, nuthin'!

Anyone know from the appearance any more about this watch? Year? Model?

--Charlie

Dorsey H
Dorsey H

October 10th, 2005, 2:27 am #2

Hi Charlie,

I've found some production numbers on the edge of the dial under that silver-colored crystal retention ring...in extremly tiny numbers...that I could only clearly read under high magnification. All of them I've seen like the one in the photo was from the early to mid 1980's.

Dorsey H.

Knut
Knut

October 10th, 2005, 5:44 am #3

This watch has no date code. I opened it up and took the movement out. No date code, no ink stamp, nuthin'!

--Charlie
...and Dorsey is right: the modelno. is very tiny and way down on the bottom of the dial. It is hard to read due to the edge of the crystal "hiding" it. I can barely read the following on mine: 2032111683. It also has "UK" at approx 7. The crystal is a real pain to remove. If the watch is running I would suggest you buff/polish the crystal without removing it from the case. I think these came with a stretchband of the "modern" kind. I can post a pic if you'd like. Keep us updated!

Knut

C.W.
C.W.

October 10th, 2005, 1:44 pm #4

Hi Charlie,

I've found some production numbers on the edge of the dial under that silver-colored crystal retention ring...in extremly tiny numbers...that I could only clearly read under high magnification. All of them I've seen like the one in the photo was from the early to mid 1980's.

Dorsey H.
I took the movement completely out think that might be the case, but there was nuthin' at all down there, boy! I wonder if the stopped using any kind of date code at some point in the end of the run?

--Charlie

C.W.
C.W.

October 10th, 2005, 1:48 pm #5

...and Dorsey is right: the modelno. is very tiny and way down on the bottom of the dial. It is hard to read due to the edge of the crystal "hiding" it. I can barely read the following on mine: 2032111683. It also has "UK" at approx 7. The crystal is a real pain to remove. If the watch is running I would suggest you buff/polish the crystal without removing it from the case. I think these came with a stretchband of the "modern" kind. I can post a pic if you'd like. Keep us updated!

Knut
I did a whole breakdown. As you can see this is a front loader so I did take the crystal off and used my magnifier light in case they used similar inks on the number as on the dial, but it just doesn't have anything. Phillipines case. with that odd 59 stamped into the back. (Clearly this isn't a 1959 watch, it's got the small "waves" logo for water resistant.)

It's a mystery.

--Charlie

Knut
Knut

October 10th, 2005, 1:59 pm #6

...if there's a difference between the watches assembled in Taiwan and those assembled in the Philippines. I noticed that the watch I have is assembled in Taiwan, and does have that modelno. Since yours is assembled in the Philippines, maybe Timex stopped with the modelno. on the dial/back-case when they started assembling watches there? Just a thought ( then again, I think I have seen Philippines Timex with a modelno. - not sure though... ).

Knut

C.W.
C.W.

October 10th, 2005, 3:52 pm #7

I know we discussed the aspect of Timex clearing out all its remaining mechanicals at some point. Perhaps the Phillipines were the final assembly plant for mechanicals and they used up all remaining movements, cases and whatnot. They might have stopped stamping model nos. due to a lack of consistancy in construction. Just a guess.
--Charlie

Scott
Scott

October 10th, 2005, 4:39 pm #8

--Charlie
I have a fraternity-logo watch with the exact same case,but it has a quartz movement...I've had it since 1991-I found it pressed into fresh blacktop and pried it up..to find it working. It still works just fine.

rob t
rob t

October 10th, 2005, 4:42 pm #9

--Charlie
below the [T]? I though these are mfg year codes, arent they?

RF

rltbod
rltbod

October 10th, 2005, 9:48 pm #10

--Charlie
I have the exact same watch Charlie, I've just checked and mine is the same, no numbers that I can see anywhere apart from 76 on the case back but that is obviously not the year!

I'd guess late 80's early 90's