My Timex Electronic

My Timex Electronic

Knut Olsen
Knut Olsen

December 15th, 2004, 6:40 pm #1

I just need to test this free image hosting (bestupload.com), since I don't have a homepage! Pictured below is one of my Timex Electronic, movement marked 242, inside caseback in ink: KLX. Runs very nice. Small blemish on crystal. Anyone know how old this one would be?

My first "restored" Electronic!

technoguy
technoguy

December 15th, 2004, 7:34 pm #2

You did a nice job and presentation on that one, Knut. From studying the watch's dial I notice that the very wide hour markers forced the dial designers to eliminate the second marks that normally flank each hour marker. This results in there only being two second marks between any two adjacent hour markers instead of four second marks as is normally found. It looks a little odd at first, but the design does keep the dial markings from getting cramped around each hour marker.

Your free image hosting service seems to be working fine. I only wish that I could find a FREE online image host that was compatible with this webTV receiver that I normally use to access and post to this forum. Since the webTV receiver does not have a hard drive in it, I need an image host that would let me simply supply a URL to someone else's image which would then result in that image being saved on the free image host's server.

When using webTV I'm now forced to post images in replies by "hot linking" to them on other people's sites. This is a practice that I would prefer not to do, but, then again, most of those sites seem to allow the link so I guess they don't mind the loss of some bandwidth...besides, maybe it will bring a potential customer to their sites. I do have my own website, but because its provided to me free (and loaded with annoying ads), they do not allow hotlinking.

I could use online transloader services to put any image I want on my free site's server and then set up a regular .html page for it that I could post in replies at this forum, but that is a cumbersome process that I'd rather avoid. Either I've got to find a free webTV "friendly" image host or I've got to get the lead out and start using my regular PC more. It's a nice multimedia machine, but I find that when I'm using it and at the work station I set up for it, my back starts to ache after only about 20 minutes of use. I'm much more comfortable flopping on the couch with the webTV's infrared keyboard to access the internet.

A friend of mine suggested that I'm really ready for a laptop computer and don't know it yet. That's an idea. If I can find a used one with at least Windows 98 on it for a few hundred dollars that does not have a CD drive that's ready to burn out, then I might make the investment.

technoguy

Knut Olsen
Knut Olsen

December 15th, 2004, 8:09 pm #3

...Get one!!! I can't recommend it enough! I used to sit in front of a desktop computer, and looking UP at the screen, and started to feel a pain in my neck and my eyes felt sore. I got a laptop earlier this year, and I can sit for hours without feeling a thing. It's easy on the eyes, and you look DOWN at the screen, which is way more comfortable. I also use a wireless broadband which allows me to use the laptop anywhere in the house. Your friend's advice is a very sensible one!

Thanks for the kind words on my "restoration." As you can see, the picture is not in focus, and the lightning was actually wrong, but this was an early attempt. I now always use a camerastand, and will try to take pictures outdoors - somehow natural lighting is suppose to improve picture quality.

Knut

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

December 16th, 2004, 1:47 am #4

I just need to test this free image hosting (bestupload.com), since I don't have a homepage! Pictured below is one of my Timex Electronic, movement marked 242, inside caseback in ink: KLX. Runs very nice. Small blemish on crystal. Anyone know how old this one would be?

Hello Knut,

Loved the beautiful restoration job you did on that Timex electronic. Here's a photo of the only watch I could find in my vintage Timex catalog collection that looks like yours. Keep in mind the colors are distorted but the dial and case design look almost identical. This is from the 1974 Timex Catalog.

By the way, $35.00 in 1974 had the same purchasing power as $130.55 did in 2003.

Dorsey H.

Knut Olsen
Knut Olsen

December 16th, 2004, 6:42 am #5

...this would be it - thanks! To get a watch as close to the original state as possible, one needs to also find out what type of band it carried - now I know I need to replace the cheap black leather band with a gold tone link expansion band. The pursuit never ends... at $130.55 it deserves it! I only paid $1,80 for it, and since it runs so good I think I will hang on to it.

It is really helpful with all the pics and info you provide from your cataloges and manuals - don't you ever get tired of all the questions and all the scanning? Thanks again!

Knut

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

December 16th, 2004, 2:19 pm #6

Thanks Knut,

I'm delighted to be able to share the information from my old Timex manual/catalog collection with the Forum readers. Makes me feel....useful. Hey..when you're my age ...62... feeling useful is a Big Deal...could even be the highlight of my day. ha ha ha.

Dorsey H.

RonD.
RonD.

December 17th, 2004, 4:00 am #7

Hey Knut,

I had the same watch, the date on it was from 1976. I gave it to my brother and he really loved it! It has an awesome shaped case.

Ron

Jack from Philadelphia
Jack from Philadelphia

December 19th, 2004, 1:04 am #8

Thanks Knut,

I'm delighted to be able to share the information from my old Timex manual/catalog collection with the Forum readers. Makes me feel....useful. Hey..when you're my age ...62... feeling useful is a Big Deal...could even be the highlight of my day. ha ha ha.

Dorsey H.
given the relative dearth of information on Timex watches, this forum in general, and you in particular Dorsey, are making important contributions to posterity. A post above talks about the genuinely fine people that both run and frequent this forum, and that is true. What is even more awesome is the fact that what goes on here is a bona fide niche of horological history. Granted, we're not exactly improving the lot of future generations of humanity. This forum is, however, a legitimate archive of civilization.