Kind of funny...

Kind of funny...

RonD.
RonD.

August 14th, 2003, 5:44 pm #1

Like many of you folks out there, I like to tinker with watches, and also have a love affair with Timex's. I usually go to a flea market near me where I can pick up watches for a buck a piece.. sometimes as cheap as 3 for a dollar! Anyway, the ladies watches don't seem to be as desirable as the mens, so I usually leave them alone. Well, I got tired of seeing them week after week and picked up a load of ladies Timex's. I cleaned them up and brought them to work to give away. I work in an office with a lot of new hires, mostly young women (22-25 year olds). I was surprised to see how excited the girls were to have a watch that didn't need a battery! None of them had ever owned a manual wind watch before. One even asked me if winding once a week would be good enough! The funny part was that I needed to show them all how to wind a watch. It took 42 years, but I have finally been officially labeled "cool"!

RonD.
RonD.

August 14th, 2003, 6:01 pm #2

... and I forgot to mention how cute it is looking around the office at all the women holding their wrists up to their ears so they can listen to the watch tick!

Jose
Jose

August 15th, 2003, 1:18 am #3

Hey Ron, What a great story. Especially in this day of electronic everythings. Mechanical Timepieces are also a great way to teach young kids responsibility. They have to take care of it by winding it everyday, They can't wind it too hard or they'll break it so they have to pay attention and focus on feeling the crown stop, and in the case of vintage wristwatches, they have to take them off before they wash their hands and then pick them up and put them on or they will lose them. Anyway, good way to spread the hobby also. Thanks, Jose

RonD.
RonD.

August 15th, 2003, 1:34 pm #4

Those were some pretty good insights Jose. Many of the women have chosen to keep wearing the Timex's in favor of their quartz watch saying it is easier to deal with a watch without a battery.

RonD.
RonD.

August 15th, 2003, 7:03 pm #5

... and I forgot to mention how cute it is looking around the office at all the women holding their wrists up to their ears so they can listen to the watch tick!
Next week I am giving them a seminar on rotary phones! lol

Jose
Jose

August 15th, 2003, 10:50 pm #6

You could really open their eyes to things that were around only 20-25yrs ago that to us were just yesterday. Keep up the good work!

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

August 16th, 2003, 1:30 pm #7

Like many of you folks out there, I like to tinker with watches, and also have a love affair with Timex's. I usually go to a flea market near me where I can pick up watches for a buck a piece.. sometimes as cheap as 3 for a dollar! Anyway, the ladies watches don't seem to be as desirable as the mens, so I usually leave them alone. Well, I got tired of seeing them week after week and picked up a load of ladies Timex's. I cleaned them up and brought them to work to give away. I work in an office with a lot of new hires, mostly young women (22-25 year olds). I was surprised to see how excited the girls were to have a watch that didn't need a battery! None of them had ever owned a manual wind watch before. One even asked me if winding once a week would be good enough! The funny part was that I needed to show them all how to wind a watch. It took 42 years, but I have finally been officially labeled "cool"!
I really enjoyed your post, Ron. I've come across numerous instances of people under the age of 50 not really knowing anything about windup/mechanical watches. I repair/restore and re-sell vintage Timex watches on ebay. Many of my customers are over 50 and are purchasing vintage Timex watches that remind them of the watch they wore as a child or youth.

There's another group of customers who are under 50 with many of them being under 35. These are the people who know little or nothing about mechanical watches. Some weeks I'd spend several hours answering their questions about how to wind and care for their vintage Timex. I've even had testimonials from customers who have heard a watch ticking for the first time in their lives and were utterly amazed!!!

Eventually I discovered that there weren't enough hours in the week for me to answer all of their inquiries. Several months ago I composed a three page "Information Bulletin" about the use and care of vintage mechanical (windups...self-winding/automatics...electric mechanicals) watches. I took much of the information in my bulletin from vintage Timex owners manuals and from the original Timex Service and Parts Catalogs. I enclose one of these sheets in the box with every vintage watch I sell.

One thing I cover in my information bulletin that you won't find in the original Timex materials concerns the unrealistic expectations many younger people have about the performance of their vintage mechanical watches. I emphasize that mechanical watches are not as accurate as quartz watches and that you must pamper them if you want them to continue running. I explain that just because a watch says "Waterproof" or "Water Resistant" doesn't mean that you can automatically subject it to frequent liquid baths without negative consequences. The effects of electric/magnetic fields, temperature extremes and rough handling are also covered.

You're absolutely correct in your observations that owning and properly maintaining a mechanical watch teaches responsibility and attention to details. Maybe that explains why so many younger adults are becoming increasingly interested in owning these vintage Timex beauties. They're craving a challenge. They want to be an active partner in the maintenance of their valued timepiece.

Thanks again for sharing your expeience with us.

Dorsey H.

Jack from Philadelphia
Jack from Philadelphia

August 25th, 2003, 9:33 pm #8

I read a post a while ago on another site in which the writer theorized that the need to wind the watch creats a man-machine bond. In contrast, it's hard to love a quartz watch because it really doesn't need you. Perhaps it's similar to driving a car with a manual transmission. I had a 1980 Chevy van with "three on a tree" and standard-everything that was a brute to drive, but boy I miss it!