Keeping the right time with your windup

Keeping the right time with your windup

May 19th, 2005, 1:52 am #1

I use to worry about keeping the right time if it was 5 mins.slow or fast would drive me crazy I don't know how many times I have moved that little speed adjestment but since I have gotten older I don't care if it is a little off one way or the other although over 5 mins. still gets to me and I have also found when you clean one you more then likely will have to set the speed witch seems to be hard for me I eather move it to much or to little. I have an elect.I have had the back off at lest 10 times and it still runs 5 mins. fast so from now on 5 mins.is OK with me. I was jest wondering how other folks felt about it does it have to be right on or is 4 or 5 mins. off OK with you.
Ray

RonD.
RonD.

May 19th, 2005, 3:45 am #2

If a watch is more than 5 minutes off in either direction, you can bet there is a problem. I tend to shoot for under 1 minute. But I think you do make a good point. How important was it to know the exact time 50-100 years ago? I used to go crazy also. At some point I figured that in most cases I do not wear the same watch more than a day or two at a time so who cares? If it was a daily watch, that would be a problem, but I change them up all the time, so a minute off here and there is okay with me... and I am not above re-setting the time if I have to.

Ron

May 19th, 2005, 6:17 am #3

I use to worry about keeping the right time if it was 5 mins.slow or fast would drive me crazy I don't know how many times I have moved that little speed adjestment but since I have gotten older I don't care if it is a little off one way or the other although over 5 mins. still gets to me and I have also found when you clean one you more then likely will have to set the speed witch seems to be hard for me I eather move it to much or to little. I have an elect.I have had the back off at lest 10 times and it still runs 5 mins. fast so from now on 5 mins.is OK with me. I was jest wondering how other folks felt about it does it have to be right on or is 4 or 5 mins. off OK with you.
Ray
If your watch is 5 minutes per week fast then that's nothing to worry about and about average for a low cost mechanical. 5 minutes per DAY is something else and indicates a problem (needs cleaning / oiling) or regulation. I generally prefer a mechanical that GAINS no more than 15 seconds per day MAXIMUM. That only works out to a maximum of 3.5 minutes per week. This accuracy IS attainable with manual regulation, but it requires some effort.

I had a trick that I used to use when I was in school and did not want to be late. If I knew my watch was, say, five minutes slow per week, then I would set it 5 minutes ahead at the beginning of the week. That way I knew, if I followed the watch, I'd always arrive slightly early to class for at least the coming week...

technoguy

rltbod
rltbod

May 19th, 2005, 8:42 am #4

I have found that nearly all mechanicals should be able to be regulated within 45 seconds a day and often better.

The chances are your 5 minute error is due to a damaged or dirty hair spring.

Having said that accuracy , which I used to be obsessed with, no longer has any bearing for me when it comes to choosing which watch to wear. I like to wear a watch for a day so I can see how it performs but I then keep a note of that and leave it as it is.

I've messed more up than I've got right by trying to regulate them myself.

technoguy
technoguy

May 19th, 2005, 10:44 am #5

One has to be particularly careful when moving the regulator lever so as to SLOW a watch down. When this is done, the lever and the tiny fork it carries are pushed TOWARD the point where the end of the hairspring is attached to the balance coq. Sometimes, if the amateur watchmaker is not observant, the tiny fork will not slide smoothly along the hairspring, but, rather, will force it to form a bulging loop that does not pass throught the fork. This loop then greatly shortens the hairspring's working lenght and makes the watch run WAY TOO FAST! Once you bend a hairspring like this, it is VERY dangerous to try to unbend it. Sometimes it can be done by using a jeweler's screwdriver to push the loop back into shape, but often the hairspring will snap off at its attachment point to the balance coq if several efforts have to be made to unkink it. Even when the hairspring is unkinked, it is then often difficult or impossible to regulate the watch by setting its lever at any position.

However, the solution to this problem is simple enough. Just make sure you use a jeweler's loupe to keep the regulator lever and the spring under observation while you make an adjustment so you can stop if a hairspring kink starts to form.

technoguy

RonD.
RonD.

May 19th, 2005, 2:59 pm #6

And while we are at it, do you stop the balance from spinning while regulating or just let it spin as you adjust the regulator?

Ron

Scott
Scott

May 19th, 2005, 4:12 pm #7

Ray
The one I had in high school(mid to late 1970's)was off about..90 seconds a day right out of the box. I never worried about it,just reset it every few days. Early pocketwatches only had an hour hand..they weren't all that worried about time,I suppose,way back in the day.I've regulated the no-longer-made inexpensive Westclox pocketwatches,but have never messed with a wristwatch all that much-my theory is unless it's way off course,I'm not messing with it-I don't have the proper tools, for one,and opening it just might let more crud in. Until I find myself some proper tools, I limit myself to changing batteries or bands.

May 19th, 2005, 8:11 pm #8

And while we are at it, do you stop the balance from spinning while regulating or just let it spin as you adjust the regulator?

Ron
Generally, I do not interfer with balance wheel oscillation during regulation. Actually the rhythmic pulsation of the hairspring while the regulator lever is turned may help prevent that kinking problem I was referring to above.

technoguy

May 19th, 2005, 8:58 pm #9

One has to be particularly careful when moving the regulator lever so as to SLOW a watch down. When this is done, the lever and the tiny fork it carries are pushed TOWARD the point where the end of the hairspring is attached to the balance coq. Sometimes, if the amateur watchmaker is not observant, the tiny fork will not slide smoothly along the hairspring, but, rather, will force it to form a bulging loop that does not pass throught the fork. This loop then greatly shortens the hairspring's working lenght and makes the watch run WAY TOO FAST! Once you bend a hairspring like this, it is VERY dangerous to try to unbend it. Sometimes it can be done by using a jeweler's screwdriver to push the loop back into shape, but often the hairspring will snap off at its attachment point to the balance coq if several efforts have to be made to unkink it. Even when the hairspring is unkinked, it is then often difficult or impossible to regulate the watch by setting its lever at any position.

However, the solution to this problem is simple enough. Just make sure you use a jeweler's loupe to keep the regulator lever and the spring under observation while you make an adjustment so you can stop if a hairspring kink starts to form.

technoguy
I have done that more then once.
Ray

May 19th, 2005, 9:24 pm #10

Ron
The only one I have had trouble with lately is an elect. I resat the regalator at 4 this morning it is right on the money after 12 hrs. I think I got it on that one. The only watches I have that will run 5 mins. fast is a 1920 New Haven and a Waterbury but I realy haven't messed with them much. I was jest useing the 5 min. as a reference I guess I should have said 2 or 3 mins.from windup untill winddown but I have learned to make my ajustments in very small movements with better results.
Ray