Inflated vintage watch prices....blame it on the......(more)

Inflated vintage watch prices....blame it on the......(more)

EdH
EdH

June 27th, 2005, 12:37 am #1

NEWBIES. I was watching a nice 1960 Omega stainless automatic on eBay for the past 5 days. Bidding opened at $5.00 and stayed low ($46.00) until today. A bunch of newbies, with "bidding fever" have run that sucker up to $200.00, with another 24 hours to go. (It's a nice watch, but not mint or NOS and not worth $200+.) I'll continue watching it to see just how high the "newbies" will run the auction. If they could ever learn to wait until the closing minutes of bidding and try to buy it for a low bid price. Oh well, maybe next time.

As someone once said...."There's a NEWBIE born every minute". Who said that? I think I did.

Darrin
Darrin

June 27th, 2005, 1:18 am #2

Ever since the Beany Baby craze, or probably before, I don't know, people have been treating collectables as investments, and I think that's probably what's driving the prices up, in addition to pure demand and being naive. I don't believe I've spent more than $35.00 on a used watch on Ebay, and that includes a very nice 1958 Bulova and a 1940's Garland. There are plenty of old watches out there, and you should pay only what it's worth.

June 27th, 2005, 2:22 am #3

NEWBIES. I was watching a nice 1960 Omega stainless automatic on eBay for the past 5 days. Bidding opened at $5.00 and stayed low ($46.00) until today. A bunch of newbies, with "bidding fever" have run that sucker up to $200.00, with another 24 hours to go. (It's a nice watch, but not mint or NOS and not worth $200+.) I'll continue watching it to see just how high the "newbies" will run the auction. If they could ever learn to wait until the closing minutes of bidding and try to buy it for a low bid price. Oh well, maybe next time.

As someone once said...."There's a NEWBIE born every minute". Who said that? I think I did.
Most of the watches I'm selling on Ebay are going for more than I think is reasonable. I'm not selling anything fantastic-Almost all has been stuff I got for $2 at a thrift store, or as part of a shoebox full from Ebay--Quartz and gaudy non-Timex pinlevers.

June 27th, 2005, 2:28 am #4

I do not think that I would blame it all on newbies...after all we were ALL newbies at one time and some of us were probably unfairly blamed for something that irritated someone else on the web back then.

Certain vintage watches will, on occasion, be considered "cool" by both newbies and oldies (?) and that can temporarily drive up the price of any particular watch. A few months later, the same watch may only fetch half the selling price it currently gets.

It's true that bidding "wars" at online auction sites can inflate the price of a watch that really isn't that cool or in demand, but such wars tend to be isolated incidents that don't get repeated by the same bidders.

When one gets priced out of an auction, the best philosophy to have is to just shrug it off and say to oneself that there will always be another auction tomorrow and one might find an even better item for less money...

technoguy

June 27th, 2005, 3:32 am #5

If it were my watch on e-bay I think I would have to love the newbies but I do know what your talking about I jest got a brand new Seiko off e-bay for 14 bucks I was the only bidder. Then again they will bid like crazy on a 15 dollar watch go figure.
Ray

EdH
EdH

June 27th, 2005, 2:21 pm #6

Hello Ray,

Don't get me wrong, if I were selling a watch on eBay, it would thrill my bank account to no end. My point is exactly what you said....they will leave a very valuable watch alone, and either not bid at all, or maybe just a small bid price. On the other hand, they will find a mediocre to average watch and go into a bidding frenzy. Oh well, as it is said..."One mans trash is another mans treasure." May the "Bidding Bird of Paradise" always "drop" a large bid on all your watches you have for sale.

Cheers,

Ed

Sevesteen, aka Dave Johnson
Sevesteen, aka Dave Johnson

June 27th, 2005, 2:47 pm #7

An example (at least to me) of overpriced ordinary watch vs. nice one is the G-shock I just sold that gave me more than enough to pay for a near-mint 1970 Accutron, complete with original mesh bracelet. I'm glad collecters aren't all after the same watches, makes it a lot more interesting.

Some of the "leave a valuable watch alone" might be due to uneasiness with the seller. I won't bid at all on watches with severely inflated shipping, even when the total price is still a deal. I also avoid "no paypal", certain countries unless they have a lot of very good feedback, high minimums that nobody has bid on, or "too good to be true" deals.

Scott
Scott

June 27th, 2005, 4:31 pm #8

It's what I call The Ebay Effect..if it's got a little dust-n-rust on it,somehow, it's worth beaucoup bucks..once in a while,but not always. Sometimes, junk is just junk....I'm not a big Ebay person myself-I have bought a few things off Ebay,but not much. I find better deals at yard sales and flea markets...and looking in curbside trash on Big Trash Day..I live near a college,and they throw away good stuff sometimes..

EdH
EdH

June 28th, 2005, 1:25 am #9

$271.66, which is about $50 to $70 OVERPRICED, as best I can determine from several sources, including Cooksey-Shugart's Price Guide to Watches.

Oh, well, as my friend Dorsey H says..."there will be better one in a few days."

Cheers

Ed