how to take the auto rotor off from the movement?

how to take the auto rotor off from the movement?

kevin
kevin

July 13th, 2005, 9:42 am #1

Hi,
I have a cal.108 automatic watch, could someone tell me how to take the auto rotor off from the movement?
Thanx!

Sevesteen, AKA Dave Johnson
Sevesteen, AKA Dave Johnson

July 13th, 2005, 2:12 pm #2

From the Timex service manual for model 32--I'm assuming yours is similar:

"Invert the movement so that the movement plate is facing you and remove the two rotor frame screws.

"Lift the rotor assembly slightly to free the dowels which position it. Since the rocker arm fits between the rotor frame and the rotor weight assembly, the rotor weight must be removed by sliding it along the movement plate until it is free of the rocker arm. Any attempt to lift hte weight before it is free of the rocker arm will result in damage to the movement."

C.W.
C.W.

July 13th, 2005, 2:36 pm #3

Hi,
I have a cal.108 automatic watch, could someone tell me how to take the auto rotor off from the movement?
Thanx!
Find a seized movement and practice on it first.
No sense further monkeying up a watch you want to save.
--Charlie

kevin
kevin

July 13th, 2005, 3:46 pm #4

"Invert the movement so that the movement plate is facing you and remove the two rotor frame screws.

"Lift the rotor assembly slightly to free the dowels which position it. Since the rocker arm fits between the rotor frame and the rotor weight assembly, the rotor weight must be removed by sliding it along the movement plate until it is free of the rocker arm. Any attempt to lift hte weight before it is free of the rocker arm will result in damage to the movement."
Thanx for the information!
But where are those two screws? Are they under the rotor? I can only see two large screws under the hole of the rotor!
Please help!

kevin
kevin

July 13th, 2005, 3:59 pm #5

Do you know the movement is out from the dial side or back side?
Thanx!

kevin
kevin

July 13th, 2005, 6:41 pm #6

I know how to take the rotor off now!
How about the movement? front or back?
Thanx!

July 13th, 2005, 10:31 pm #7

I think that the movement comes out through the back of the case and is held in place by a weirdly curved retaining spring that is wedged between a recess in the case and the movement. It's a good idea to wear eye protection while removing that spring because it is under some tension and can suddenly fly out in unexpected directions. It's also a nuisance to put back in after you've repaired the movement.

technoguy

kevin
kevin

July 14th, 2005, 3:09 am #8

Thank you for the information!
Below is a link to the picture of my Timex, could you tell me where is the "weirdly curved retaining spring" and how to release it?
Thanx!

[img]http://photo.pchome.com.tw/s07/k/e ... .jpg[/img]

kevin
kevin

July 14th, 2005, 3:23 am #9

I think that the movement comes out through the back of the case and is held in place by a weirdly curved retaining spring that is wedged between a recess in the case and the movement. It's a good idea to wear eye protection while removing that spring because it is under some tension and can suddenly fly out in unexpected directions. It's also a nuisance to put back in after you've repaired the movement.

technoguy
Hi,
If you cannot see the picture, please try this:

thanx!

p.s. is there a way to edit your own post in this forum?

technoguy
technoguy

July 14th, 2005, 9:06 am #10

IF your movement is held in with the retaining spring, you should be able to notice a section of it that is not tucked under the inner case rim. Once the rotor is off, look for a weird bar with a square cross section that seems to form a tiny bulge or bridge near the inner rim of the opened case. This section of the spring is what you have to get a grip on and which can be used to pop the spring out of position. Getting it out is not too bad, but putting it back again is a real challenge. Once removed the spring will expand and be shaped somewhat like the letter "C".

No, quite unfortunately, once you have posted something on this forum, it can not be edited. You should preview all posts first on the post editor page before committing to the final posting.

technoguy