how do you pull the hands

how do you pull the hands

jwalk
jwalk

October 12th, 2005, 1:20 am #1

How do you pull the hands off the dial of a old watch I noticed many of you repair watches or outfit old ones with new "guts" I was interested in doing that to an old timex I own. How do I pull the hands off and how do I take the stem out? Is there a quick answer to this? Tips?? thanks JW

RonD.
RonD.

October 12th, 2005, 2:51 am #2

Yo Jwalk,

Most of us will use a hand puller like this:

But you can use a tiny screw driver to wedge them off. I would make sure I put something like paper down under where you are going to put the screw driver so you don't scratch the dial.

Taking the stem out varies depending on which watch you have. On the pre-1963 models, you take the back off and lift up the part holding the stem in (which looks like a flat spring). The after 1963 models require you to remove the back and turn the screw holding the stem in a few turns before the stem comes out.

Ron

technoguy
technoguy

October 12th, 2005, 7:06 am #3

How do you pull the hands off the dial of a old watch I noticed many of you repair watches or outfit old ones with new "guts" I was interested in doing that to an old timex I own. How do I pull the hands off and how do I take the stem out? Is there a quick answer to this? Tips?? thanks JW
It is fairly easy to remove the hands from a wristwatch movement without using a hand puller. I have always used an Exacto knife. Obtain one with a thin blade that can be extended from the handle so that you can extend it about 3/4 of an inch out of the handle. Place a thin sheet of paper between the dial and where the edge of the blade will rest as you use its other edge to pry off the hand.

Now for an important tip. I have found that, when prying off a hand with the thin blade of the knife, it's best to work slowly from one side of the hand to the other. That is, don't try to pry off a hand by just inserting the edge of the blade under one side of the hand and prying it up in one effort. This can result in a slight stretching and distortion of the hole in the hand that can result in a loose hand when it is reattached later. By carefully working from side to side of the hand, you will produce minimum distortion in the hole and the hand will then fit properly when it is later reattached.

technoguy

October 12th, 2005, 12:48 pm #4

Beginning of a howto article (I'll add pictures later, if nobody else chips in)

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Removing_hands