Honey Monster? Foggy?

Honey Monster? Foggy?

Alan N.
Alan N.

August 11th, 2001, 7:39 pm #1

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1177176895

Looks like some kind of UK cereal character. Watch sure is ugly, and not all because of the poor, "loveable" monster.

Hey Foggy, did you ever try Honey Monster cereal? Any good? Alan

Foggy
Foggy

August 11th, 2001, 8:02 pm #2

The creature in the adverts for a breakfast cereal here in the UK called Sugar Puffs. Honey coated wheat puffs basically. Not my cup of tea, but a pretty popular one over here. I had to laugh when you posted this, because it brought back some old school memories. Our old headmaster resembled said creature (sort of !!), and hence was known as honey monster. Which was kind of funny, until he heard you.........

Cheers

Foggy

Foggy
Foggy

August 11th, 2001, 8:14 pm #3

His catchphrase was (is ?) "Tell 'em about the honey, mummy". Another reason not to like them IMHO !?!?
While we're on cereals, Golden Nuggets - now there was a good one !! Klondyke Pete was the character from them. Confession time now - somewhere I've got a poster that came free in the boxes of them. I think it's from 1974. If I ever find it, I'll post a pic.

Cheers

Foggy

Foggy
Foggy

August 11th, 2001, 9:19 pm #4

Can't find my poster, but here's a pic from the web.

Cheers

Foggy

Alan N.
Alan N.

August 12th, 2001, 2:03 pm #5

Hi Foggy,

I think everyone knows or knew someone like monster. Here are a few of the ones from over here:

The Sugar Bear, in the television ads, was a hip, laid back sort of Beatnik-like character.

Lucky Charms had this supposed-to-be-Irish kid. This was a very sugary cereal, about 50 percent made up of hard marshmallows.

Trix had this rabbit. I never tried this one. People still use the term "Silly Rabbit," from a long running television ads theme where the rabbit tried to eat the cereal, but he was told it was only for humans.

This one had this Captain as their man. It says it stays crunchy in milk, but it also took off a few layers of skin from your mouth, and tooth enamel. It was like eating volcanic rock.

Well, these were a few of our cereal icons, among many others. Found on this website:

http://theimaginaryworld.com/page4.html

This one was before my time, but what a cool box, and "Solar Cereal!"

Finally, some cereals which didn't seem to make it. At least I've never heard of them or seen them. Maybe for good reason. Purple cereal, or orange flavored cereal just don't seem destined for greatness.

Rich
Rich

August 12th, 2001, 5:50 pm #6

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1177176895

Looks like some kind of UK cereal character. Watch sure is ugly, and not all because of the poor, "loveable" monster.

Hey Foggy, did you ever try Honey Monster cereal? Any good? Alan
I have to love those pics you posted. I barely remember trying Fruit Brute but was shocked to recall it was true that had it once in the later 70's. Thanks for the cereal pics! Back to watches though...It seems that it's really hard to find a diver's style watch that isn't monster sized but authentic and shows the day as well as the date. Any ideas? Looking for a new watch with the day and date that must be waterproof to at least 100M.

Rich

RJ
RJ

August 13th, 2001, 12:38 pm #7

Can't find my poster, but here's a pic from the web.

Cheers

Foggy
Freakies cereal from Ralston was my all time favorite. I don't remember how long it lasted. I liked the cereal (kind of like Cap Krunch). The internet is so cool. thanks

Bill
Bill

August 14th, 2001, 6:30 am #8

Not cereal but a kind of ersatz popcorn snack. Late 60s bid for the hippy market. Loved 'em.

Alan N.
Alan N.

August 15th, 2001, 3:12 am #9

I have to love those pics you posted. I barely remember trying Fruit Brute but was shocked to recall it was true that had it once in the later 70's. Thanks for the cereal pics! Back to watches though...It seems that it's really hard to find a diver's style watch that isn't monster sized but authentic and shows the day as well as the date. Any ideas? Looking for a new watch with the day and date that must be waterproof to at least 100M.

Rich
No connection, but on cereal, I dunno. All of a sudden about a year ago, I stopped having cereal. I think I just stopped using a lot of milk, and the cereal went by the wayside (though when I was a child, we had a woman who helped my mother around the house who ate cereals with RC Cola, not milk.)

Dive watches: Do you need the day as well as the date? If you only need the date, it opens it up a lot more. Day might be very limiting, in a dive watch, esp a true tool watch for divers, as I'd think most would not have day. Might try the Dive Watch Forum, now at equationoftime.com

Alan N.
Alan N.

August 15th, 2001, 3:15 am #10

Not cereal but a kind of ersatz popcorn snack. Late 60s bid for the hippy market. Loved 'em.
A Cracker Jack - like confection, but witht the popcorn very heavily coated with yellow candy-sap material so that it was just a mass of candy, maybe a few peanuts. Is this what it is?