Gold-Plated Mechanical Timex Marlin (circa, the 2nd half of the 1980's) Photos

Gold-Plated Mechanical Timex Marlin (circa, the 2nd half of the 1980's) Photos

Romeo
Romeo

March 25th, 2002, 1:02 am #1

Herewith is my other wristwatch, the gold-plated men's midsize Timex Marlin windup (I have an analog diver-style Timex Quartz its history I have posted in this Forum). It was also purchased at Sears however I don't know when that exactly was. This wristwatch is in mint condition and in perfect operating order with its original expandable metal link band (also gold-clad but with minor scratches). It has a plastic crystal instead (also mint). The stainless steel back cover is impressed with the words STAINLESS STEEL BACK - ASSEMBLED IN THE PHILIPPINES, just like that on my analog diver-style Timex Quartz. And also like my diver-style Timex Quartz the back edge of its case has tiny indentations from exposure to perspiration due to the watch being used for some time in the past. It is a very good windup wristwatch for its price ($24 back then) and has a very legible and excellent dial and hands design and colors. Being thin and in the midsize category, the watch is nice, lightweight, and comfortable to wear. It fits like a glove with no bulk at all (however I still prefer my large analog diver-style Timex Quartz).

Brian
Brian

March 25th, 2002, 4:19 am #2

I have a watch that looks very much like this one made by Acqua, a division of Timex, with the only differences being gold bar hour markers at the 1,2,4,5,7,8,10 and 11 o'clock positions and regular numbers in the same style as the ones on yours at the 12,6 and 9 o'clock positions and a date window at the 3 o'clock position. The only other difference is that the stretch bracelet has straight ends instead of curved and the back tapers to a small stainless steel center cap that indicates that it was made in the Phillipines plant. Mine dates from 1992, marketed under the name Acqua Classic Wind. Was the last hurrah for Timex mechanicals. Got it several years ago in a local discount store near me, have not seen any since

Romeo
Romeo

March 25th, 2002, 9:54 pm #3

It is good to hear that there are individuals who appreciate these kinds of wristwatches. It was about at a later year, at around 1995, that all wristwatch brands, including Timex and Acqua, terminated their manufacture of mechanical (auto or winding types) watches. The Timex Division, Acqua, in my opinion (I could be wrong) seems to be a "facelift" brand of Timex, an effort by the Timex Watch Company to lure more purchasers of their products just by changing their name. The Acqua brand is at par with Timex's products and they (Acqua) have more features and a slightly different look in their products that would make those of Timex more expensive if it was to do the same in its (Timex) products. However, for older people like myself, we have a strong tendency to patronize Timex products with the Timex name on them. How much was the purchase price of your Acqua wristwatch then?

Brian
Brian

March 26th, 2002, 5:22 am #4

I paid $20.00 for it, I also have another one that I purchased around the same time, also Acqua, hour markers are gold bars, not numerals, also with date window, only difference being a vinyl watchband embossed with a lizard pattern to make it look like leather. Both are excellent runners, I like the one with the vinyl band a bit more than the one with the stretch band.

Brian
Brian

March 26th, 2002, 5:33 am #5

It is good to hear that there are individuals who appreciate these kinds of wristwatches. It was about at a later year, at around 1995, that all wristwatch brands, including Timex and Acqua, terminated their manufacture of mechanical (auto or winding types) watches. The Timex Division, Acqua, in my opinion (I could be wrong) seems to be a "facelift" brand of Timex, an effort by the Timex Watch Company to lure more purchasers of their products just by changing their name. The Acqua brand is at par with Timex's products and they (Acqua) have more features and a slightly different look in their products that would make those of Timex more expensive if it was to do the same in its (Timex) products. However, for older people like myself, we have a strong tendency to patronize Timex products with the Timex name on them. How much was the purchase price of your Acqua wristwatch then?
I think that you are right about Acqua being a facelift for Timex. There is the Carriage line of watches that are also made by Timex, but all are quartz, dressy style watches, the Timex name is nowhere to be found on any of them, only the indication that they were made in the Phillipines plant on the caseback.

Romeo
Romeo

March 26th, 2002, 5:51 am #6

I paid $20.00 for it, I also have another one that I purchased around the same time, also Acqua, hour markers are gold bars, not numerals, also with date window, only difference being a vinyl watchband embossed with a lizard pattern to make it look like leather. Both are excellent runners, I like the one with the vinyl band a bit more than the one with the stretch band.
I'm glad to hear that you're satisfied with your not-so-expensive Acqua wristwatches. It shows that, particularly in the mechanical watches, they don't have to cost six times more than these Acquas or Timexes nor do they have to be in the pricey range. About six years ago you could still purchase a very affordable Timex or Acqua mechanical wristwatch. That is no longer the case at the present time. And it seems to me that the numerous wristwatch brands today have "jumped into the Timex bandwagon" of the wristwatch industry. However I still believe that Timex and Acqua have the edge over their competitors even in the quartz category of wristwatches.

Romeo
Romeo

March 26th, 2002, 6:02 am #7

I think that you are right about Acqua being a facelift for Timex. There is the Carriage line of watches that are also made by Timex, but all are quartz, dressy style watches, the Timex name is nowhere to be found on any of them, only the indication that they were made in the Phillipines plant on the caseback.
Yes, that is what I strongly feel about Timex and Acqua. Timex created the Acqua line of wristwatches especially for the younger generations and the young-at-hearts. It is like Seiko and Pulsar, Pulsar having a more hip style to their watches than the Seiko ones.

RJ
RJ

March 26th, 2002, 12:20 pm #8

I have a watch that looks very much like this one made by Acqua, a division of Timex, with the only differences being gold bar hour markers at the 1,2,4,5,7,8,10 and 11 o'clock positions and regular numbers in the same style as the ones on yours at the 12,6 and 9 o'clock positions and a date window at the 3 o'clock position. The only other difference is that the stretch bracelet has straight ends instead of curved and the back tapers to a small stainless steel center cap that indicates that it was made in the Phillipines plant. Mine dates from 1992, marketed under the name Acqua Classic Wind. Was the last hurrah for Timex mechanicals. Got it several years ago in a local discount store near me, have not seen any since
The Aqua and Carriage watches I've seen have been very basic watches, without the extra features or durability of other Timexes.

They may be an effort to compete with the very inexpensive generic watches, while being possibly a step above in quality.

Romeo
Romeo

March 27th, 2002, 4:13 am #9

You are partly correct. Because Timex has lines of digital quartz wristwatches such as DataLink, the Timex Internet Messenger, Timex's Electronic Compass Wristwatch, and the Speed and Pulse Rate Watch that are available in their casual and sports lines of quartz wristwatches and which are not found, to the best of my knowledge, in their Acqua nor in their Carriage brands of watches. However, in the conventional or older styles or designs of wristwatches, I find more of these (conventional or older designs) wristwatches in the Timex lineup even at the present time.

Brian
Brian

March 27th, 2002, 4:57 am #10

I have seen Acqua digital watches as well as quartz analog, but these are pretty basic watches, digitals don't have all the bells and whistles, usually an alarm and a chronograph, maybe a 2nd time zone, but not usually, as for the quartz analog, some with a date window, some without. Carriage is just dress style watches.